Author Topic: Tour of East Lothian - 15th February 2009.  (Read 27879 times)

The Bairn

Tour of East Lothian - 15th February 2009.
« on: 11 January, 2009, 08:46:41 pm »
Its back!

So whos up for a chilly run round East Lothian and the annual re-enactment of the retreat from Moscow up Redstone Rigg?

I am.

Re: Tour of East Lothian - 15th February 2009.
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:02:23 pm »
Me

My cunning plan this year is not to get dropped by my group before we've left Musselburgh
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:18:23 pm »
Me! Sent off my form yesterday. Fully expecting to be dropped in Musselburgh  :)

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2009, 09:22:58 pm »
Me too.  :thumbsup:

I laughed so much at Cyclops' wee after-event-get-together last year that I was kind of hoping that the official version wouldn't be on again this year so that we could have a re-run.

The Hell Tour of East Lothian has a atmosphere of it's on in my (limited) experience.  A huge range of different types of rider show up.  I like being one of the "real audax" crowd though, with my Carradice saddle bag and Brooks saddle.  :)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #4 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:25:23 pm »
My entry was sent off last week.  I've also talked my wife's ex-manager into giving it a bash.  It'll be his first audax and longest cycle by 25 miles, but that's cool because "it's East Lothian and East Lothian is flat" (his words not mine).  I'm too nice to correct him  ;D  The way I see it, if he manages this he'll have no problem with the Snow Roads.

« Reply #5 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:26:50 pm »
I've seen it in the schedule and hope to be there - but only if the weather improves from today!

Does it not normally exist as a 'non-audax' event?  It's not on the mrcc website this year, and I 'think' this must be the first recent incarnation as an AUK event?

« Reply #6 on: 11 January, 2009, 10:53:58 pm »
I think it was an audax the first time I did it, a couple of years ago. But whether it was official, I dunno.

« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2009, 12:05:18 am »
Does it not normally exist as a 'non-audax' event?  It's not on the mrcc website this year, and I 'think' this must be the first recent incarnation as an AUK event?

It didn't run last year for the first time in about 20 years. It was an official audax event when I started riding in 2003 and I'm sure one of the old buggers more experienced audaxers will be along soon to regale you with tales of when Redstane Rigg was but a cart track
It didn't look at all like that in the photographs

« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2009, 12:34:55 am »
Redstane Rigg was but a cart track

Parts of the route still are cart tracks IMO.  The decent after the climb after the rigg itself is pretty hairy at times.  :(

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 12 January, 2009, 08:43:53 am »
 :(
Sadly, for you but not for me, I won't be entertaining the tifosi gathered atop Redstone Rigg with my red-faced peching and weaving up the hill. I need to be in sunny Dumfries by tea-time, so will have to give it a miss.  :thumbsup:

Y Lee G: ahem, remember to turn left before the reservoir.  ;)
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #10 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:12:54 am »
Its back!

So whos up for a chilly run round East Lothian and the annual re-enactment of the retreat from Moscow up Redstone Rigg?

I am.

Sent my application off last week, will be in my usual position at the back of the field :-\

Melrose

« Reply #11 on: 12 January, 2009, 08:07:49 pm »
I hope so, will be my first Audax in 3.5 years. I haven't even ridden that far on my own bike in that time  and Charterhall wants to ride his own bike so no tandem option. I'll be dropped in Musselburgh with Cyclops and Ariadne.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #12 on: 12 January, 2009, 08:13:07 pm »
I'll be there. After my rather grim time of it last year I can't make up my mind as whether or not I want to thrash round as fast as possible to put some demons to rest or just pootle along and enjoy the cafe stops. I expect the weather and my fitness will make the decision for me on the day.
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #13 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:01:57 pm »
Yes I'll be there, all prepared for horrible weather and a grovel into a headwind all the way back !  (One advantage of taking the tandem).
Aero but not dynamic

« Reply #14 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:03:44 pm »
It'll be a no show from me this year I'm afraid.
First band-call of the Show season will have me fiddling away with The Yeomen of the Guard

If this year's weather is as good as last, then it'll be a great day.

Might get to the Dave Harris Memorial a few weeks after, if I can get an entry, so see you there.

« Reply #15 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:05:43 pm »
a grovel into a headwind all the way back ! 

Yes you really grovelled back last time, didn't you   ;)

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #16 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:08:05 pm »
I was hoping that that was an offer of a wheel again this year Fin.  Then I read your previous post - oh well, I guess I'll have to find someone else to follow...
Aero but not dynamic

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #17 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:10:01 pm »
My entry was sent off last week.  I've also talked my wife's ex-manager into giving it a bash.  It'll be his first audax and longest cycle by 25 miles, but that's cool because "it's East Lothian and East Lothian is flat" (his words not mine).  I'm too nice to correct him  ;D  The way I see it, if he manages this he'll have no problem with the Snow Roads.

Has somebody ironed the volcanic plugs over Christmas?  :o

Nope. I haven't been fit enough to ride the bike since mid-December, no way I'll manage this. I'll stay in the warm and watch the sleet batter off the window and be glad it's not my face.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Rig of Jarkness

• An Englishman abroad
« Reply #18 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:13:19 pm »
You could always take one of several short cut options from Gifford.
Aero but not dynamic

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #19 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:13:51 pm »
The way I see it, if he manages this he'll have no problem with the Snow Roads.
Well, it worked for you, didn't it?  ;)

« Reply #20 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:23:29 pm »
with some deft editing...

Well, it worked for you me, didn't it?  ;)

;D

« Reply #21 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:34:56 pm »

That was how I read it at first!
 ;D

« Reply #22 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:44:53 pm »
I was hoping to do this but luckily unfortunately the doctor and physio say no cycling till the sciatica clears up!

I actually made an attempt at it solo at the end of November but bottled it half way up the Rigg due to being half frozen and the amount of ice on the road....

Good luck all!

« Reply #23 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:53:58 pm »
hmm

dancing exam for magnoliette conflicts with first weekend of half term conflicts with family 'plan' to go away at half term conflicts with magnolian plan to ride TOEL conflicts with other as-yet-unknown instructions...

some planning yet to do I feel!

eck

• Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #24 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:18:19 pm »

;D
:P
In my defence, I can claim I was hijacked after the climb of Redstone by the EH12 Easter Arrow team and forced - totally against my will, you understand - to divert in order to partake of a leisurely lunch in Gifford.  O:-)