Author Topic: Tour of East Lothian - 15th February 2009.  (Read 27882 times)

Re: Tour of East Lothian - 15th February 2009.
« Reply #25 on: 13 January, 2009, 09:39:46 am »
I should be there again this year.

Last Year's 'YACF special' was a really good day all round, it won't quite be the same with the normal hordes on the road  ;D

« Reply #26 on: 13 January, 2009, 09:57:21 am »
I will be there, see you at the start, and at the end (if anybody accidentally falls asleep for an hour or so).

« Reply #27 on: 13 January, 2009, 01:10:02 pm »
The Musselburgh website caught me out here. I'd assumed it was cancelled until I read this thread. The event entry hasn't been updated since Jan last year.

Must give it a go this year.

Ken O

« Reply #28 on: 13 January, 2009, 11:08:25 pm »

It didn't run last year for the first time in about 20 years. It was an official audax event when I started riding in 2003 and I'm sure one of the old buggers more experienced audaxers will be along soon to regale you with tales of when Redstane Rigg was but a cart track

I think 1989 was the first year of the Tour of East Lothian.  I was looking through my old brevets earlier and I've got one for 1991, which I reckon was the 3rd year of its life.  Not sure about the 1992 outing, but certainly by 1993 the title has been prefixed with 5th and 1998 with 10th.

I'm certainly not an "old bugger" (yet), but even I remember the experience of climbing Redstane Rigg the first time.  The descent down to the left turn before Whiteadder Reservoir was probably worse, the "cart track" had still to be be layed, as was witnessed by the number of riders who punctured.  The road thereafter to Garvald was just as bad and much hasn't changed in the intervening years.

Other than 2008, I think the only other year where the full experience of a Tour of East Lothian has been missing, was the year of Foot and Mouth (2001 ?).

« Reply #29 on: 15 January, 2009, 12:12:25 am »
I shall not be walking up the hill this year.

I know this for certain as I shall not be there, due to other stuff.

valkyrie

• Look at the state of your face!
    • West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #30 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:12:11 pm »

Not hilly enought for ya then? ::-)
World Class Excuses for Piss-Poor Performances

« Reply #31 on: 15 January, 2009, 10:15:25 pm »

Not hilly enought for ya then? ::-)

I may cycle some hills later in the year but at present I am keeping things as flat as possible.  New bike with one gear, innit  ;D

« Reply #32 on: 17 January, 2009, 08:37:09 pm »
Hope to be there, glad its back on the calendar  :thumbsup:
Always feel obliged to to tackle the Tour of East Lothian and the Dave Harris memorial to try and get back into the audax spirit after seasonal over-indulgence   :-\ got a spare tyre to reduce and the climb up the Rigg is just the job.  :P

Riffian

« Reply #33 on: 19 January, 2009, 10:38:49 pm »
I'm signed up. Looking forwrd to it - I'd planned to do it last year but it wasnt on. Being a bit new to this Audax thing it looks like 'fun'... But my only experience of Audax so far was Forth Finale - is the weather always like that?

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #34 on: 19 January, 2009, 11:15:34 pm »
...is the weather always like that?

I tell Mrs P it is  ;)

« Reply #35 on: 20 January, 2009, 10:49:08 pm »
Entries are now in the post for me and Mrs Ernst, no backing out now, lets hope for weather like last year :)

Will there be the usual bus from Corstorphine? What time did we leave last year ???

Was it 8.30am from Clermiston traffic lights?

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #36 on: 20 January, 2009, 10:54:46 pm »
As it's an official audax again this year, won't there be a staggered start with the fast groups away first? Not got my entry back yet so I'm not sure what the deal will be.

« Reply #37 on: 20 January, 2009, 11:05:47 pm »
As it's an official audax again this year, won't there be a staggered start with the fast groups away first? Not got my entry back yet so I'm not sure what the deal will be.
Thats the normal routine, could be a bit of hanging about for me as Mrs Ernst will be looking to leave in the first group :-\

When would the first group normally leave?

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #38 on: 21 January, 2009, 12:10:14 am »
Mrs P has entered  :thumbsup: Oh, and so have I  :-\

« Reply #39 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:25:36 am »

Thats the normal routine, could be a bit of hanging about for me as Mrs Ernst will be looking to leave in the first group :-\

When would the first group normally leave?

10am, I think - I think it starts at 10 (when I'll be going - I'll look out for Mrs E!) and the last people go at about 10.30. And then pass me by 10.35.

« Reply #40 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:32:28 am »
10am, I think - I think it starts at 10 (when I'll be going - I'll look out for Mrs E!) and the last people go at about 10.30. And then pass me by 10.35.

The first year I entered I made the mistake of not lying about my anticipated time and ended up going out with the second last group - I have learned much about audax since then, and now lie like everyone else.  "No training for me", "..you'll see me at the back", "I haven't been out for months" etc.... ;)

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #41 on: 21 January, 2009, 12:35:34 pm »

The first year I entered I made the mistake of not lying about my anticipated time and ended up going out with the second last group.....

I've done that too - I was rapidly left behind by the racers on the first hill out of Musselburgh  ::-) Mind you, I re-passed a few on the Rig  :thumbsup:

The Bairn

« Reply #42 on: 21 January, 2009, 01:17:21 pm »
Me too! I recall predicting 5 hours, thinking that was OK at just over 20kph and ended up in the 2nd from last peloton, I mean group. 

I might be wrong but I recall being contacted by e-mail by the organiser on a previous occasion to submit an estimated time.     

« Reply #43 on: 21 January, 2009, 08:34:53 pm »
I might be wrong but I recall being contacted by e-mail by the organiser on a previous occasion to submit an estimated time.     

You're not, this is exactly what happened with me when the last official ride took place 2 years ago. 

I too made the mistake about not lying about my time, but I did meet Noodley for the first time on that day because we reached the top of the rigg together and had a terrible experience at the top of redstone rigg.  ;)

valkyrie

• West Lothian Clarion
« Reply #44 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:28:24 pm »
Mibbee we should agree a start time for all yACFers - that would make the start more sociable and increase the chances of riding together rather than getting swamped by the Musselburgh RC Chain Gangs.

Whoever gets their emailed choice of times first should post what time they've picked.

« Reply #45 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:31:23 pm »
Whoever gets their emailed choice of times first should post what time they've picked.

What if they put 4 hours?  ;D ;)

MercuryKev

• Maxin' n Audaxin'
« Reply #46 on: 21 January, 2009, 09:56:03 pm »
rather than getting swamped by the Musselburgh RC Chain Gangs.

I'm going to set my bike up with 'Ben Hur' style wheel scythes.  Any of these roadie type peletons go near me and they'll be picking chunks of carbon fibre out of the gutters of East Lothian for years to come :demon:

Do these guys not know that ToEL is an audax?  The last time it ran, I swear I never saw one of those guys eating malt loaf or drinking out of the ditch at the top of the rigg.  It was all gels, maxpower bars and maltodextrin drinks.

Pingu

• Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #47 on: 22 January, 2009, 11:16:17 am »
rather than getting swamped by the Musselburgh RC Chain Gangs.

I'm going to set my bike up with 'Ben Hur' style wheel scythes.  Any of these roadie type peletons go near me and they'll be picking chunks of carbon fibre out of the gutters of East Lothian for years to come :demon:

Do these guys not know that ToEL is an audax?  The last time it ran, I swear I never saw one of those guys eating malt loaf or drinking out of the ditch at the top of the rigg.  It was all gels, maxpower bars and maltodextrin drinks.

The last time I did it someone had an aero disc rear wheel and it was feckin' windy  ;D

blackpuddinonnabike

« Reply #48 on: 22 January, 2009, 11:22:28 am »
My entry has been delayed due to January-induced skintness, but I can't really avoid it any longer.

And I really WILL be hanging off the back!  :-\

The Bairn

« Reply #49 on: 22 January, 2009, 12:18:35 pm »
Entries are now in the post for me and Mrs Ernst, no backing out now, lets hope for weather like last year :)

Will there be the usual bus from Corstorphine? What time did we leave last year ???

Was it 8.30am from Clermiston traffic lights?

8.30am Junction of St Johns Road and Station Road, calling at
8.50am Waverley Bridge (top of the ramps from the railway station)

Plenty time for a cuppa and a blether INSIDE the town hall.  Luxury!

ps - having just learned that this is school half term I may have to leave my application late as I'm not quite 100% certain just yet. 

EDIT - I have been informed that I'm spending part of this day as chef to my sons rugby team.  Still, it's brownie points that will be spent later in the year.