Author Topic: Kennett Valley Run 200 (Feb 28th)  (Read 32502 times)

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
Kennett Valley Run 200 (Feb 28th)
« on: 12 January, 2009, 04:49:45 pm »
With the Poor Student now completed; the Faccombe Five will next be hitting the audax trail on the Kennett Valley Run at the end of February. By then of course I will be expecting wall-to-wall sunshine and at least 16 degrees - although I suspect I may be disappointed.

Can anyone give us a run-down of the route and is anyone else here planning to take part?

Owner of a languishing Langster

Re: Kennett Valley Run 200 (Feb 28th)
« Reply #1 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »
The route is a fairly straightforward 100k out to the west, then back.  So via Mortimer, Aldermaston, Brimpton, Burghclere, Kintbury, Hungerford (Tutti Pole).  Then Little and Great Bedwyn, Burbage, Pewsey, Woodborough, Beechingstoke, Urchfont, Market Lavington, Erlestoke to Bratton (cafe).  Return to Hungerford by reversing that route, then Wickham, Welford, Boxford, Chieveley, Hermitage, Yattendon, Bradfield, Theale, and back to the start.  Not many hills.

The ride has a reputation for wind - either against you on the way out, or on the way back.

I won't be there, either riding or helping I'm afraid.  The revised date clashes with something else that Mrs D would never forgive me for cancelling.

« Reply #2 on: 12 January, 2009, 05:58:53 pm »
I'm planning my usual routine for this one: i.e. I'll see you en route.

If I time my ride from home right, I'll get to Hungerford just as the cafe opens and just in time to beat you all to the front of the tea queue.

;D
Let your mind unravel ... down that road you're travellin' ...

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #3 on: 12 January, 2009, 07:59:11 pm »
I'll be there.  :thumbsup:

It is a pretty fast run out to Bratton with a helping tailwind

OR

It is a slog against an interminable head wind with what feels like halfway but isn't.

FOLLOWED BY

A retrace of the route diverting to the Titti Pole followed by a lumpyish section to Yattendon where it is a flat run to the finish

OR

It is a slog against an interminable head wind to the Titti Pole cafe where, filled with cake and marshmallows, you have to slog over some lumps before you're back into that headwind again.

Even though the cafe at Bratton had a power cut, my seatpost broke and I had to go back and find the misplaced Yellowed Thong of Destiny (in the dark), it is an interesting ride and one I really enjoyed in 2007.

Oh, and I am doing it this year too.

H

LEE

« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2009, 09:07:53 pm »
Doing it.

Looking forward to it.

Bez

• Carpe Cerevisi.
« Reply #5 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:10:09 pm »
I intend entering this.

Thanks Hummers and phil d for the "wind warning". I found The Poor Student quite hard going against the wind but should be a bit stronger by the end of Feb.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #6 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:44:51 pm »
I fell and smashed my helmet and made a mess of my face on this ride. I have done it a number of times before. A good season opener. I will be riding with my club up until this (apart from the Marlbrough Connection - but will not be submitting form, just some unofficial cycling).

I will ride this, then The Dean, Heart of England, Brevet Cymru, BCM and then rest some before the LEL
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #7 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:52:32 pm »
I might do this again.  Last year it was an interminable slog into a headwind for at least 150km.  The countryside is windswept, brackish and unappealing, and the drivers in Reading are mental.  The Tutti Pole cafe was good though.  ;D

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8 on: 12 January, 2009, 10:57:30 pm »
I might do this again.  Last year it was an interminable slog into a headwind for at least 150km.  The countryside is windswept, brackish and unappealing, and the drivers in Reading are mental.  The Tutti Pole cafe was good though.  ;D
Thats the spirit!

« Reply #9 on: 13 January, 2009, 05:13:32 am »
I fell and smashed my helmet and made a mess of my face on this ride. I have done it a number of times before.

Then I suggest you learn not to fall off!   ;D

urban_biker

• " . . .we all ended up here and like lads in the back of a Nova we sort of egged each other on...."
  • Known in the real world as Dave
« Reply #10 on: 13 January, 2009, 08:22:43 am »
Last year it was an interminable slog into a headwind for at least 150km.  The countryside is windswept, brackish and unappealing, and the drivers in Reading are mental. 

Have you ever worked in sales  ;D
Owner of a languishing Langster

chillmoister

• King of Compton
« Reply #11 on: 13 January, 2009, 12:36:01 pm »
it's a small world as they say .....I will be doing this ride with the usual Faccomb5 chain gang and have just realised (looking through this thread)  that it's turnaround point is in Bratton ......the village i grew up in until we moved away when I was 11!  So as the prodigal son returns I will arrange for the full civic reception ...or at least make sure they have electricity in the cafe for hot beans this time.   Actually the 'Duke' maybe a more tempting watering hole.  Nostaglia ....it's not what is used to be  ;D
appearing in a tea room near you

LEE

« Reply #12 on: 13 January, 2009, 12:45:02 pm »
I fell and smashed my helmet and made a mess of my face on this ride. I have done it a number of times before.

Then I suggest you learn not to fall off!   ;D

Serves you right for wearing a helmet.  You wouldn't have smashed it f you hadn't been wearing one.

(climbs into concrete bunker and secures heavy steel door)

« Reply #13 on: 14 January, 2009, 09:35:16 pm »
Grump. We initially though we could do this ride, but the date change makes it impossible.  :( :(

Last year we rode the 100 which was fantastic (and fairly quick for the time of year).

Emma
California Dreaming

LEE

« Reply #14 on: 15 January, 2009, 08:52:16 am »
just realised (looking through this thread)  that it's turnaround point is in Bratton ......the village i grew up in until we moved away when I was 11! 

Ah yes, the Chillmoisters of Bratton.

Edward ! Edward ! He says he needs a "RE-SEAT"

Don't worry Tubbs........he won't get far

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #15 on: 16 January, 2009, 08:20:43 am »
 ;D

H

« Reply #16 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:26:04 am »
I'm in with the Faccombe5.  Will I have lights by then?  I'll have two weekends in between where I can do some hill training.  The Faccombe Haul route comes to mind.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #17 on: 01 February, 2009, 01:37:36 pm »
Just sent my form off for this event. Lets hope I get round rather than smashing my helmet like last year.

I have just been out with the club and done 100Km in double quick time. That cold really takes it out of you. There was a strong easterly - that made me think of the KVR. I think each time I have done this there has been a strong easterly wind. Speed out, grind back.

Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

LEE

« Reply #18 on: 01 February, 2009, 10:38:17 pm »
I'm in with the Faccombe5.  Will I have lights by then?  I'll have two weekends in between where I can do some hill training.  The Faccombe Haul route comes to mind.

Let me know if you plan to be out Faccomne way Els.  I really need to head north from my house, into the hills, rather than keep taking the easy southern route down the River Test roads.

Chris S

« Reply #19 on: 01 February, 2009, 11:01:11 pm »
I should be in for this  :thumbsup:.

I have meetings in Cornwall all week; I'll be getting the afternoon train from Cornwall to Reading on Friday. Stop over at Travelodge (M4 Westbound - curiously £3 cheaper than Eastbound), ride down and do the ride; then train from Reading to London after the ride, followed by Train to Downham Market and 40km ride home  :thumbsup:.

What could possibly go wrong? ;)

Tiger

« Reply #20 on: 02 February, 2009, 03:06:28 pm »
I shall be there. Came off last year on the slidey lanes after Hungerford. Nice soup at Bratton I recall.
Last year there was a very fast bunch who seemed to do it in under 9hrs.
It was really good to see them returning as one battled, injured and glum,  towards the halfway stop.
It took all my skill and fortitude  to beat them back to the start where for a while I was lauded fro my hardcore prowess. Eventually I admitted having returned on the train. Scorn was poured. 
There was a chap in there with a bashed face clutching his helmet.

« Reply #21 on: 02 February, 2009, 03:17:55 pm »
Too long ill, too little riding recently to do a 200 this month. Maybe summer. The 100, though - could give that a go. Conveniently close to home.

BTW, is Phil D a tall bloke who lives around Goring or Streatley? Something familiar about his writing style.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

scottlington

• It's short for, erm....Bob!
« Reply #22 on: 02 February, 2009, 03:28:09 pm »
Should be doing the 100 with Mrs Scottlington.

« Reply #23 on: 02 February, 2009, 03:32:30 pm »
BTW, is Phil D a tall bloke who lives around Goring or Streatley? Something familiar about his writing style.

Yes. Unless there's more than one that fits the description...
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

border-rider

« Reply #24 on: 02 February, 2009, 03:38:46 pm »

He's a tall bloke who lives near Wallingford