Author Topic: LEL - Relaxed Moderate and Fast ride speeds  (Read 9335 times)

Re: Relaxed Moderate and Fast ride speeds
« Reply #25 on: 29 January, 2009, 10:19:08 am »
I got this reply from Melita about the matter:

"The completion time is 116hours 40 mins - the times on the form were simply to get riders to give an indication of their overall speed - virtually everyone who is a faster rider (correction, a known faster rider) has chosen the faster speed.

It was to give us an indication of bottlenecks and opening times. As long as a rider gets back within the overall time limit, they are qualified for LEL LRM status."

@SandyV1 on Twitter http://twitter.com/#!/SandyV1

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:40:48 am »
Given that I'd be entered into the same event as a number of other people with slower projected finishing times, wouldn't the overall speed limits of the event (12-25kph, or whatever) supercede a narrower range of speeds self-imposed on a seemingly rather daft whim?

It sounds like you don't have a problem at LEL but if you pick a faster minimum speed at PBP, it is a 'hard limit'.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #27 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:46:47 am »
I had imagined it would be done PBP-style - but this rather suggests the other thing, that the finish (and other controls?) will be held open later for later starters.  That in turn would mean controllers would have to know who is on which schedule.

Surely PBP-style (later starters just throw away a few hours they won't need anyway) is easier all round.  After all its only 6 or 7 hours max.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #28 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:52:14 am »
I had imagined it would be done PBP-style - but this rather suggests the other thing, that the finish (and other controls?) will be held open later for later starters.  That in turn would mean controllers would have to know who is on which schedule.
Unlike PBP ones choice of speed does not define ones start time. But it seems unlike PBP, in reality everyone has the same minimum speed.

« Reply #29 on: 29 January, 2009, 11:53:10 am »
That in turn would mean controllers would have to know who is on which schedule.

I'm guessing they'll be two different Brevet cards produced, one with timings for the 8am start, one for the 8pm start. The controller then only has to look at the time in the box in the Brevet card.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #30 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:03:15 pm »

Our start time is embedded in our rider number (penultimate digit?), so I guess they can go by that.
I'm guessing they'll be two different Brevet cards produced, one with timings for the 8am start, one for the 8pm start. The controller then only has to look at the time in the box in the Brevet card.
that also makes good sense. Although no use for IDing late riders in need of assistance-by-Moto.

OT a bit: on PBP the only drawback with being last off was having to constantly add 1h40 to the times on the card (by the time I decided to amend it myself, I had also acquired 1h retard ... stupid event ... )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #31 on: 29 January, 2009, 01:12:51 pm »
that also makes good sense. Although no use for IDing late riders in need of assistance-by-Moto.

Of course, that's why they'll be keeping track of riders using a big sheet of paper and a mobile phone to pass on corrections/additions/amendments.

If the rider is carrying the Brevet card then it's of no use to the organisers for keeping track of them since it will be in the (missing) rider's possession.

Also remember that there is a possibility that a rider could be out of time at an intermediate control for a valid reason (touch wood this won't be necessary) but able either make up time to finish within the deadline, or finish without losing any further time.

Tom

« Reply #32 on: 31 January, 2009, 10:27:55 pm »
Thanks very much for the reasurrance Sandy/Greenbank et al. 

yello

« Reply #33 on: 17 February, 2009, 11:07:16 am »
I was one of the 5% who entered as 'fast'. I interpreted it, correctly as it now seems  ;), as a kind of 'request for info' from the organisers rather than a constraint on me. 

I don't class myself as fast (comparisons to others have shown me not to be!) but I felt that a combination of intention, desire and ability would see me progressing in or around the fast time... does that make sense?

But then, on the day Brian, anything can happen... and there are a quite a number of days both before LEL and during LEL itself.

I've not ridden more than a 150 this year, nor even decided which bike I'm going to use... let alone considered strategies or packing! Loads of time still and I'm not worried.... yet!

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #34 on: 24 February, 2009, 09:45:05 pm »
When are people likely to be arriving in Edinburgh?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

simonp

« Reply #35 on: 24 February, 2009, 09:51:08 pm »
When are people likely to be arriving in Edinburgh?

At 30kph, 700km takes about 0.97 days.
At 12kph, 700km takes about 2.4 days.

So, first riders any time after about 8am on Monday 27th (has anyone done this though?).
Last riders before ~2am on Weds 29th (allowing for the later 2pm start time).

« Reply #36 on: 25 February, 2009, 12:03:21 am »
So, first riders any time after about 8am on Monday 27th (has anyone done this though?).

Latest Arrivee says fastest rider in 2005 got to Dalkeith at 13:04 on Monday.

« Reply #37 on: 25 February, 2009, 05:59:45 am »

Latest Arrivee says fastest rider in 2005 got to Dalkeith at 13:04 on Monday.

Starting at 10 am, so with the current starttime that would be 11.04 am on Monday.