Where do you want to start?

Malmesbury
2 (22.2%)
Chepstow
2 (22.2%)
Cardiff
5 (55.6%)

Total Members Voted: 7

Author Topic: Anybody for a deferred Malmesbury Mash?  (Read 10618 times)

TOBY

• hello
Re: Anybody for a deferred Malmesbury Mash?
« Reply #25 on: 10 February, 2009, 09:29:03 am »
Sorry everybody - pass came back from SHMBO for 21st. May well do the route anyway then, or do a 200 staying within God's Country.
what are the controls for those of us entering as a DIY?

Daf, I'd be up for riding it on the 21st from Cardiff and doing the proper route as opposed to the A/B road experience.

Looking at the route, you could replace the info on Carphilly easily with a Cash Point or shop, keep the Garden Centre in Chepstow and Amanda's in Malmesbury, I don't know what you'd do about the Green Moor info, if you lose the Green Moor info MapSource makes the shortest 198km (with a Tongwynlais start).

However with a Cardiff City Start/Finish (preferebly a Cash Point in Canton  ;)) I think it would be a touch over 200km - this would need checking.

T

Panoramix

• .--. .- -. --- .-. .- -- .. -..-
  • Suus cuique crepitus bene olet
    • Some routes
« Reply #26 on: 10 February, 2009, 12:39:29 pm »
I have just received my brevet card from the organiser saying that it could be ridden as a perm until mid march! So no need to reenter.  :thumbsup:

Looking at the poll, it is kind of split in 2 between easterners and westerners. So I suppose we can either split in 2 or have everybody starting in Chepstow.
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #27 on: 10 February, 2009, 12:50:18 pm »
I have just received my brevet card from the organiser saying that it could be ridden as a perm until mid march!

I'll probably do it during the week at short notice and take the day off work. As long as I do it before the end of the month then my RRTY target will have been met. With that in mind, I'll just sit tight and wait for a nice warm day to arrive  :thumbsup:
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

« Reply #28 on: 10 February, 2009, 12:57:17 pm »
If John is posting out the cards then why not do it as per the route sheet? I'll go with the democratic decison on start point as I'm sure not everone has professed a choice yet....

daflloyd

« Reply #29 on: 10 February, 2009, 01:08:40 pm »
Sorry everybody - pass came back from SHMBO for 21st. May well do the route anyway then, or do a 200 staying within God's Country.

Daf, I'd be up for riding it on the 21st from Cardiff and doing the proper route as opposed to the A/B road experience.

Looking at the route, you could replace the info on Carphilly easily with a Cash Point or shop, keep the Garden Centre in Chepstow and Amanda's in Malmesbury, I don't know what you'd do about the Green Moor info, if you lose the Green Moor info MapSource makes the shortest 198km (with a Tongwynlais start).

However with a Cardiff City Start/Finish (preferebly a Cash Point in Canton  ;)) I think it would be a touch over 200km - this would need checking.

T

Great, up for doing it on the 21st.

Subsequent posts regarding getting the brevet card through and doing it as a perm have taken the info control issues away. The fact that the start/finish hotel has closed down can be overcome, as there are several receipt opportunities within a km or so of the hotel.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #30 on: 10 February, 2009, 02:17:34 pm »

T

Great, up for doing it on the 21st.

Subsequent posts regarding getting the brevet card through and doing it as a perm have taken the info control issues away. The fact that the start/finish hotel has closed down can be overcome, as there are several receipt opportunities within a km or so of the hotel.

(I've used my card) I'll DIY it with you though, I'm happy to start in Cardiff a bit earlier meet in Tongwynlais I'll pick up a reciept in Caerphilly (instead of info), use the other controls and follow the route through Green Moor to finish in Tongwynlais if that's cool  :thumbsup:

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #31 on: 10 February, 2009, 05:58:12 pm »
If John is posting out the cards then why not do it as per the route sheet? I'll go with the democratic decison on start point as I'm sure not everone has professed a choice yet....

Well I imagine this makes sense. Doooh, I will have to pay a "visa fee" worth 300km of audax entries to cross the border!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #32 on: 10 February, 2009, 07:34:48 pm »
Got me card today... will start from as near to here as poss, or Malmesbury if anyone else wants to join me.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #33 on: 14 February, 2009, 02:18:21 pm »
Please could someone tell me the controls so I can enter as a DIY?

I have Aust->Didamorton->Malmesbury->Iron Acton->Aust which looks correct for the english half

But I'm not sure where the controls are in Wales to go above newport one way and below it the other

Also, Mal Volio YHPM

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #34 on: 14 February, 2009, 04:26:36 pm »
Tongwynlais - info@Caerphilly - Chepstow - Malmesbury - Chepstow - info@Greenmoor - Tongwynlais.

I think that I will ride it the 21st starting from  Chepstow.

EDIT: I got the date wrong, I meant 22nd!
Chief cat entertainer.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #35 on: 14 February, 2009, 06:59:35 pm »
Looks like I am doing in on the 21st too, starting at Aust ( other side from Chepstow )

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #36 on: 14 February, 2009, 07:32:47 pm »
Actually I meant the services on the English side of the Chepstow bridge. May be with Mr pumpé although he seems faster than I am. That must not be too far away. Is it?
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #37 on: 17 February, 2009, 09:40:10 am »
Toby and Daflloyd are you up to having another tag-a-long on Sat? Have been trying to sort out a permanent route from Towngynlais, the problem being the info controls of course... At present my route based on the calendar one shows only a variation on the return leg from Chepstow (its pretty much an out and back route :D). Hopefully it will pass scrutiny from Danial and Its a go-er for Sat or Sun... :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 17 February, 2009, 10:10:10 am »
Gog-yn-y-De rode the calendar route on Friday, controlling at the Spar in Tongwynlais at the start (and end, I think).

There were plans forming last week for a Swansea contingent of 3 or 4 to ride this from Tongwynlais on the 21st.  I won't be one of them.

« Reply #39 on: 17 February, 2009, 10:39:45 am »
Gog-yn-y-De rode the calendar route on Friday, controlling at the Spar in Tongwynlais at the start (and end, I think).

There were plans forming last week for a Swansea contingent of 3 or 4 to ride this from Tongwynlais on the 21st.  I won't be one of them.

Just follow the original route and get a start/finish confirmation near to the start - I used the local Spar (turn right out of the Quality Hotel and it's about 200m down the road on the left). Might not be so good if a load of you turn up at once though.
Iawn, cont? It's a 67.4" by the way.

daflloyd

« Reply #40 on: 17 February, 2009, 11:49:18 am »

Nuncio - Toby and I (and possibly Cyclone) will be at the Van Road info in Caerphilly at 7.45am if the Swansea contingent fancy a bit of company.

« Reply #41 on: 17 February, 2009, 12:06:28 pm »
I'll let them know.  You'll probably meet them on the way back.  The group may include one or many of: Dai Harris, Ron v. H, John Bastiani, Andrew Robinson. 

« Reply #42 on: 18 February, 2009, 06:15:16 pm »
Looking at the forecast, the weather looks marginally better on the saturday. This may also tie in nicely with swmbo's plan to go to her grandad's 80/90-something birthday in llanishen, cardiff

So who's starting from the quality Hotel, at 8am?  Daf where will you be?

« Reply #43 on: 18 February, 2009, 06:29:03 pm »
Monsieur Pumpe, it looks like you'll have missed us if we're aiming to be in Caerphilly at 7.45 am from Canton....
There are negociations regarding the Calendar route and said brevet card for myself which make a start from the Quality Inn more attractive for me (Cyclone) as I dont have to get lost in Cardiff before 7 am!!

« Reply #44 on: 18 February, 2009, 06:32:30 pm »
I'm looking at parking outside grandpa-in-laws house in Llanishen, and riding the 4 miles to Van rd caerphilly to meet whoever is there at 7.45

(although I'll have to see what swmbo says)

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #45 on: 18 February, 2009, 08:37:05 pm »
It looks like, I am the only one to ride it on Sunday, is this correct?
Chief cat entertainer.

daflloyd

« Reply #46 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:28:08 am »
So far it's Me+mate, Toby (+ian?), cyclone and pumpe at Van Road 7.45am Sat. Looking forward to a nice day out and 3 all-day breakfasts.

TOBY

• hello
« Reply #47 on: 20 February, 2009, 10:21:39 am »
So far it's Me+mate, Toby (+ian?), cyclone and pumpe at Van Road 7.45am Sat. Looking forward to a nice day out and 3 all-day breakfasts.
Just me, Ian is unable to make it, I'm more a "little and often" eater, 6 half-day breakfasts for me.

Panoramix

• Some routes
« Reply #48 on: 20 February, 2009, 09:54:42 pm »
I will do it Sunday starting from the services which are on the English side of the Chepstow bridge. I am on my own but if anybody fancy joining me, PM me!!!
Chief cat entertainer.

« Reply #49 on: 22 February, 2009, 11:37:32 am »
Lovely day out with top quality company.  Set out from Llanishen to meet up with the rest of the gang in Caerphilly at 7.45. Unexpected, and slightly panicky, tour of suburbs on the way.

Off we went after formal introductions, Daff and his friend Quentin, Toby and Yan (Cyclone).  Beautiful start to the ride down towards Newport on roads unknown to me.  Nice climb up and out of Newport, with Toby stopping to piss through the railings into a communal public garden, much to my disgust.
 ;)

Daff soon assumed the responsibility that comes with being a giant, by breaking the wind for the rest of us (Quentin followed a similar, but less pleasant, role about half an hour after his breakfast).  Fried  breakfasts hoovered up by all at Chepstow garden centre, where the first of the day's cafe waitresses caught Quentin's eye.

Much excitement from Quentin as we cycled across the Severn Bridge, a first for him, followed 4 hours later by a second.

As prophecised by Daff, we came across the Beaufort hunt on the back roads near Malmesbury.  Quentin noticed the abudance of fit and healthy young ladies amongst the riders.  Age did not seem to be an issue. The subsequent few miles were taken up with a discussion of hunting during which Quentin revealed himself to be a monarchist and admirer of Camilla. I proposed to Toby that the fox enjoys the thrill of the chase, despite the messy end.  Toby's conclusion was that the human equivalent would be an Alton Towers water slide, with a giant mincer at the bottom.

Lovely cafe stop in Malmesbury, Amanda's cafe. Quentin more than happy with the quality of service.

A sedate start of the next leg with a constant slight upward gradient and annoying headwind.  Toby noticed the reduction of effort entailed by sheltering behind a large object (Daff) and concluded that a similar benefit could be gained  by attaching a large windbreak to the front of his bike.  My only contribution was to suggest that a transparent material would probably be most suitable.

Toby set the first of a series of blistering paces that soon saw us back in the bosum of the Green cafe in Chepstow, engorged by the leather sofas.  Cake and tea, and then off we went, Daff's cold starting to take its toll.

The Toby train saw us fly down the levels past the steelworks and in and out of Newport, reaching the outskirts of Cardiff at around 6.30pm.  We went our seperate ways,  with Daff and Quentin looking forward to another 12 miles or so, and toby and I heading north-west to llanishen.

Top day out  :thumbsup: