Author Topic: LEL - Medication.  (Read 13369 times)

Re: Medication.
« Reply #25 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:20:17 pm »
Postie has advised me on this and although I am not expecting problems I'll have two bags of bannana cake, seventy-five pellets of tic tacs, five sheets of high-powered blotter antacid, a saltshaker half-full of salt and a whole multicolored collection of jelly babies, wine gums, fruit pastiles, spangles . . . Also, a quart of lucozade sport, a quart of gatorade, a case of the squits, a pint or two of ESB and two dozen flapjacks. Not that I'll need all that for the trip, but once you get into a serious carb collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worries me is the ESB. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ESB binge and I know we'll get into that rotten stuff pretty soon . . .

H

;D  <a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/jvq7MGJ8R_k&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/jvq7MGJ8R_k&rel=1</a>

"We can't stop here! This is Tandem country!"

"If we're ever going to get out of here alive, we're going to need some cycling shoes."
California Dreaming

simonp

« Reply #26 on: 20 February, 2009, 08:27:37 pm »
I'll be taking a physiotherapist I think.  ;D

Giraffe

• I brake for Giraffes
« Reply #27 on: 21 February, 2009, 11:09:50 am »
I thought you felt me  ;) ;D

Ah yes, the angelesic!
2x4: thick plank; 4x4: 2 of 'em.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #28 on: 21 February, 2009, 02:05:33 pm »
"We can't stop here! This is Tandem country!"

"If we're ever going to get out of here alive, we're going to need some cycling shoes."

Indeed.

;)

H

« Reply #29 on: 22 February, 2009, 04:20:00 pm »
I've never used ibuprofen, or any pain killer. I have used Savlon, which works best for me. Use it before you get sore, not after and wash regularly, at least every day with soap. Then clean shorts. You shouldn't get saddle sore if you do that.
Caffeine is fair enough. But getting plenty of sleep before the ride is a hell of a lot better.
Carry some cafeine pills or dark chocolate. But try not to use it unless you need to. You shouldn't need it on the first night. If you do then I hope you can pedal fast and make time up for sleep or some very slow grovelling.

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #30 on: 22 February, 2009, 04:46:51 pm »
Like TG I have never used any type of pain killer on a ride. I have spent a long time getting my saddle and shorts of choice and am very careful (obsessed) with my bike set up and cleat position and shoes.

I must say I am a little confused about the gastric effects that are discussed here. I have had tummy trubble on rides but nothing that would require any medication. My main problem is with eating too much ruffage. Porrage, whole meal bread and oat bake bars all contain lots of ruffage. I find on long rides I need to eat some rubbish that has calories but little ruffage. I am partial to the odd pork pie on a log ride. If I avoid hard efforts that I have no problems with digesting it.
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

Chris N

« Reply #31 on: 22 February, 2009, 04:53:26 pm »
Good to hear pork pies described as medication.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #32 on: 22 February, 2009, 04:56:54 pm »
I agree eating too much roughage can be a problem; jacket spud + baked beans are another culprit here. I agree 'rubbish' is good on long rides.
Depending on how your body handles sugar, sweets may be your friend (but look after your teeth), milk drinks can be helpful and there is always CAKE.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #33 on: 22 February, 2009, 05:00:26 pm »
Good to hear pork pies described as medication.

Top breeders recommend it because it's <THUMP> solid nourishment...

Really Ancien

« Reply #34 on: 22 February, 2009, 06:35:47 pm »
One handy tip is not to use Ibuprofen as an analgesic following a fall.

The use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofen (Advil) and naproxen (Aleve) may lead to increased bruising. Aspirin, antidepressants, asthma medications, and cortisone medications also have this effect. The anti-clotting medications also known as blood thinners, especially the drug Warfarin (Coumadin), may be the cause of particularly severe bruising.

I was advised to use Co-Codamol. but that is pharmacy only, I believe Paracetemol doesn't promote bruising, but I'm only too happy to be contradicted by someone medical.

The other main area of medication is the lotions used in the seat area. Vaseline tends to dry the skin, which has an effect during a 1400 Km ride.

Damon.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #35 on: 22 February, 2009, 07:07:01 pm »
There was me thinking audaxers did lots of training.  You're all as bad as <insert name of virtually any famous racing cyclist>  ::-)
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #36 on: 22 February, 2009, 07:13:55 pm »
There was me thinking audaxers did lots of training.

We do, but our bodies cannot withstand it without a little help from modern science.  :P
"There is nothing nothing nothing wrong with spending money on a bike."--R. Ballantine

simonp

« Reply #37 on: 22 February, 2009, 08:11:50 pm »
There was me thinking audaxers did lots of training.  You're all as bad as <insert name of virtually any famous racing cyclist>  ::-)

I wanted to use a throat spray I bought in France whilst touring, in the days leading PBP, but it's a banned substance so I had to get hold of some non-banned tablets, which were much less effective.

It's quite annoying not being able to take the most effective medication.

Really Ancien

« Reply #38 on: 22 February, 2009, 09:10:53 pm »
It's not always for yourself that you have to dose yourself up. An LEL finish will generally require a tolerant and supportive partner. Reaching a point where a few Ibuprofen or a decent steroidal cream can get you to the finish can work wonders for home harmony.
I got knocked off by a scooter in PBP 2003 and was on Ibuprofen for the remaining 200 miles, that's how I know about the bruising. But I carried on because my partner Heather was also riding, not having finished in 1999, so I wanted to finish so that her acheivement was undiminished by my failing.
It's useful to know what can help in certain circumstances, it's often not just you who has a stake in your finish.

Damon.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #39 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:51:22 am »

You can't do $LONG_AUDAX on mineral water!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #40 on: 23 February, 2009, 12:53:11 pm »

I wanted to use a throat spray I bought in France whilst touring, in the days leading PBP, but it's a banned substance so I had to get hold of some non-banned tablets, which were much less effective.

I assume you are referring to this.

H

Tiger

« Reply #41 on: 23 February, 2009, 03:38:48 pm »
My friend has asthma and said I can use some of his inhalators - van anyone confirm if these are any good? I don't want to load up my bag with stuff I don't need.

The Mechanic

« Reply #42 on: 23 February, 2009, 05:03:41 pm »
My friend has asthma and said I can use some of his inhalators - van anyone confirm if these are any good? I don't want to load up my bag with stuff I don't need.

Is this a joke?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #43 on: 23 February, 2009, 05:53:35 pm »
I am partial to the odd pork pie on a log ride.

This probably should belong in the 'unofficial LEL facilities' thread, but for pork pie connoisseurs a visit to Curtis of Lincoln is a must.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #44 on: 23 February, 2009, 08:38:29 pm »

Go for the Bill Clinton method, use them but just don't inhale.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

simonp

« Reply #45 on: 23 February, 2009, 11:03:17 pm »

I assume you are referring to this.

H

Yessz dahling!  How did you guessz!

« Reply #46 on: 04 March, 2009, 05:54:08 pm »
On overnight rides I always carry a couple of cans of Red Bull. Its extra weight, but if I get an attack of the "dozzies" I chug one and then am right as reign in 5 mins. For me it works a lot better than Pro plus.

Was watching a program on telly about sleep deprivation and they were talking about a drug called Mofanadil (I think thats how its spelt) IT switches off the bodies "go to sleep" mechanism and you can literally stay awake for days with no side effect - unlike say Cocaine or Speed.
Apparently its used by a lot of students cramming for their finals.
Its prescription only in this country - but a cursory glance in Interweb and its very easy to buy online.

Anybody ever tried any??

simonp

« Reply #47 on: 04 March, 2009, 06:01:30 pm »
On overnight rides I always carry a couple of cans of Red Bull. Its extra weight, but if I get an attack of the "dozzies" I chug one and then am right as reign in 5 mins. For me it works a lot better than Pro plus.

Was watching a program on telly about sleep deprivation and they were talking about a drug called Mofanadil (I think thats how its spelt) IT switches off the bodies "go to sleep" mechanism and you can literally stay awake for days with no side effect - unlike say Cocaine or Speed.
Apparently its used by a lot of students cramming for their finals.
Its prescription only in this country - but a cursory glance in Interweb and its very easy to buy online.

Anybody ever tried any??

One of the side effects of prolonged sleep deprivation is death.

Do you feel lucky?

Really Ancien

« Reply #48 on: 04 March, 2009, 06:08:47 pm »
The funny thing is that the main drug I've ever used on LEL is Alcohol, I find it quite difficult to sleep to order, so in 2005 on the first night I had a couple of pints of bitter and the second about two thirds of a bottle of Australian Shiraz. It's important to make the most of the time you do get to sleep.

Damon.

« Reply #49 on: 04 March, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »
The funny thing is that the main drug I've ever used on LEL is Alcohol, I find it quite difficult to sleep to order, so in 2005 on the first night I had a couple of pints of bitter and the second about two thirds of a bottle of Australian Shiraz. It's important to make the most of the time you do get to sleep.

Damon.

I used Speckled Hen on the New Forest 1000 and gave the same excuse reason as you.