Author Topic: Audax routes on googlemaps..?  (Read 3435 times)

Audax routes on googlemaps..?
« on: 19 February, 2009, 11:53:46 am »
or any similar digital map site?  It seems quite difficult to get any route maps online.

I've put routes on mapmyrun before, I guess others/organisers have done similar...

Andy
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
Re: Audax routes on googlemaps..?
« Reply #1 on: 19 February, 2009, 11:55:06 am »
or any similar digital map site?  It seems quite difficult to get any route maps online.

I've put routes on mapmyrun before, I guess others/organisers have done similar...

Andy

If you google for "bikely elenith" or any similar well known audax, some sucker will have already done the route

« Reply #2 on: 19 February, 2009, 11:56:41 am »
Danial has a bunch on his website: Danial's Audax Pages

Otherwise you can often find them by searching on Bike Trails, Paths & Routes From Over 40 Countries at Bikely.com

I prefer to create my own route (on bikely) by tracing it out from the routesheet. This means I spot any errors (or possible missing instructions) on the routesheet whilst also giving my brain a chance to remember bits about the route. I then upload the route on to my GPS for the actual event.

If you just rely on someone else's route/track you don't get the extra info.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

JJ

« Reply #3 on: 19 February, 2009, 12:04:19 pm »
If you go to bikely.com and put "audax" into the search box you'll get more than you know what to do with.  The trick is to find the right one.

When I have time, I like to do as Greenbanksays.  More often I just grab a track the night before and blindly trust it.  If it was posted by the organiser, it should be reliable.

« Reply #4 on: 19 February, 2009, 12:37:25 pm »
Bikely looks good for informal route info.   :)

BTW, do all bike GPS units (with map display) go for +£250..?

Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Craig

« Reply #5 on: 19 February, 2009, 12:47:45 pm »
I've created a Audax UK group on MapMyRide. Feel free to join it and add routes for any audax rides you've done: MapMyRide.com | Audax UK

« Reply #6 on: 19 February, 2009, 12:52:11 pm »
You don't need a mapping GPS for Audaxing.

I do all my Audaxing with a £70 Garmin eTrex and use routes built up of routepoints (one per routesheet instruction) with names encoding the routesheet instruction (L, R, SO, etc). There's also no software to buy (I use free stuff) or maps to purchase.

This was my route for the Willy Warmer 200: Bicycle Path - Willy Warmer 2009 at Bikely.com

It needed splitting into two separate routes (as there's a limit of 120 points per route on the Garmin eTrex) and there are some other quirks but you get used to them.

I'll be using my old eTrex for LEL. No mapping.

If I was to start again though I'd probably go for a Legend HCx (the old bog standard eTrex doesn't use USB and the non-standard cable costs £20) and download/install the OpenStreetMap stuff (see GPS sub-forum) for free.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #7 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:38:27 pm »

You can get an Etrex Venture (not recommended) with colour mapping for £106 new from Amazon.
There may be B&W map models for less.

You can get an Etrex Legend HCx (better) for £127 new, same source.

However none of these include the maps - just the capability.  So if you add in the extra cost of maps, yes it does go up to around the £200 mark at least.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #8 on: 19 February, 2009, 02:46:32 pm »
I've created a Audax UK group on MapMyRide. Feel free to join it and add routes for any audax rides you've done: MapMyRide.com | Audax UK

Craig, that's excellent.  :thumbsup:
I see the Snow roads is already on: I've three new events running the same weekend this year, I can put the provisional routes on soon.

I've also a fair selection of DIY perms already approved and ridden - not all of which go to Comrie, Mr Noodley  :P - do "we" want perms on as well?
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

« Reply #9 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:01:17 pm »
Very good Craig.   I'll have to have a look at seeing how that site works.

And no, not all eck's Perms go to Comrie.  But they would if they could  ;)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #10 on: 19 February, 2009, 10:09:03 pm »

Gah - I can't work out how to add one of my rides to the group  :-[

Craig

« Reply #11 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:45:28 am »
Craig, that's excellent.  :thumbsup:
I see the Snow roads is already on: I've three new events running the same weekend this year, I can put the provisional routes on soon.

I've also a fair selection of DIY perms already approved and ridden - not all of which go to Comrie, Mr Noodley  :P - do "we" want perms on as well?
I've not sure about perms, DIY or otherwise. I've drawn the routes for a few, but not added them to the group. Maybe it would be best with a separate group for them to avoid confusion?

Gah - I can't work out how to add one of my rides to the group  :-[
When you're viewing a route, there should be a yellow box in the top right just above it. It has options to Print etc or Add to group.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #12 on: 20 February, 2009, 12:49:24 pm »
Duh, dunno how I missed that  :-X

Thanks, Craig  :thumbsup:

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #13 on: 20 February, 2009, 01:37:45 pm »

You can get an Etrex Venture (not recommended) with colour mapping for £106 new from Amazon.
There may be B&W map models for less.

You can get an Etrex Legend HCx (better) for £127 new, same source.

However none of these include the maps - just the capability.  So if you add in the extra cost of maps, yes it does go up to around the £200 mark at least.

I notice that there are new 2009 road atlases in poundland.  With full mapping and biro enabled route tracing