Linked Events

• Severn and Wye 200: 14 March, 2009

Author Topic: Severn and Wye 200  (Read 2895 times)

Severn and Wye 200
« on: 28 February, 2009, 05:42:01 pm »
Anybody else entered this event?
I don't want to grow old gracefully. I want to grow old disgracefully.

JayP

• You must be joking
Re: Severn and Wye 200
« Reply #1 on: 28 February, 2009, 07:33:01 pm »
I'm up for this one Blade. A ride in Glory Land, (Way beyond the blue) ;D

« Reply #2 on: 01 March, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »
Yes, I'm in for this one - routesheet arrived yesterday.

edit - just about to email John to withdraw.  Took a tumble this morning and it doesn't look like I'll be riding for a week or two.

marcus

« Reply #3 on: 01 March, 2009, 05:21:19 pm »
and me. Looks like a good route.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #4 on: 02 March, 2009, 08:10:59 am »
I've got a couple of other known yACF'ers entered as well. Only a few spaces left now - entry will close at the end of today. I have to be strict with numbers on this one as you've all got to fit in my house at the end.

The route has its genesis in a variety of DIY's to Hay and back over the course of the years. I have to 'fess up though - it would appear that "the gentler parts of the Welsh marches" aren't as gentle as I had planned. After riding the route the other week I've had the GPS track evaluated by the AAA man and the climbing has now been revalidated at 2970m, or 3 new style AAA points. This despite the route only having two significant climbs (appropriately enough out of the Severn & Wye valleys) - best described as "undulating" (to quote the late Graham Mills).

You'll be able to abuse critique the organisers definition of "gentle" in person though as I'll be riding with you.

« Reply #5 on: 02 March, 2009, 12:44:56 pm »
I will be riding this as well.  I knew it would be hilly (locking the 72 inch fixed to the garage wall)  he always tells 'porky pies' about the climbing on his rides e.g. Offa's Dyke - Organiser says - 'the worst of the hilly are over by 400km' - I say '550 km ish' :) 

Route and cafe stops look great.

See you all on the 14 March.

« Reply #6 on: 02 March, 2009, 03:29:24 pm »
Just entered for it, so keeping my fingers and toes crossed.

PM sent to the organiser  :-\

JohnHamilton

« Reply #7 on: 05 March, 2009, 08:22:15 am »
I will be riding this as well.  I knew it would be hilly (locking the 72 inch fixed to the garage wall)  he always tells 'porky pies' about the climbing on his rides e.g. Offa's Dyke - Organiser says - 'the worst of the hilly are over by 400km' - I say '550 km ish' :) 

Route and cafe stops look great.

See you all on the 14 March.

That's a condition know as "hill blindness". An affliction which is peculiarly common amongst Audax organisers. Danger signs include the use of words like "undulating" to refer to anything less than a 300m 1:5 climb. Once contracted there is no known cure and the sufferer is doomed to seek out bigger and bigger hills (last year was the Alps, this year will be the Himalaya).

In my case I've always ascribed it to a counter-reaction to spending the formative years of my life in the flatlands of Lincolnshire & Cambridgeshire. I'm now spending the rest of my life in search of a view to make up for it.

« Reply #8 on: 13 March, 2009, 02:08:40 pm »
Have a good ride, one and all.  I shall be thinking of you during the day as I hobble around home.  I look forward to some ride reports on Sunday.

This would have been my 100th BR event.  I may do it later (but I doubt in March) as a permanent.

« Reply #9 on: 16 March, 2009, 01:06:40 pm »
Great ride, great scenery, weather excellent (exp. the head wind) some great cafe stops and that hill after Hay was a bit sneaky ! I really enjoyed the ride, I haven't been out of Bedfordshire for quite a while and I think I will need a bit more hill training before I do the Chapman this year.

JohnHamilton

« Reply #10 on: 16 March, 2009, 07:42:33 pm »
A good day out. The random fluctuating weather forecasts in the days before finally settled on overcast but breezy, and that's more or less what it turned out to be, with a few sunny patches thrown in.

Annoyingly the wind seemed to veer round throughout the day meaning we had a headwind most of the way out and back.

37 turned up and set off from the car park. I headed out a couple of minutes later leaving Linda to deal with anyone else who turned up. The climb of Bridge Road away from the Iron Bridge was an early shock to the legs then it was battling into the wind down Corvedale (there's always a headwind down Corvedale) and on to Hay.

Somehow in Hay I managed to pass quite a few despite going to the cafe, as when I made it to the final control there were a lot less in front than there had been in Ludlow, despite not passing anyone on the road. The climb out of the Wye valley was 'appreciated' by nearly everyone - don't complain or else I'll send the 600 up there instead of the easy way through Brilley.

The wind was getting a bit wearing by the last control but bread & butter pudding and custard did the trick. THe wind wasn't too bad on the last leg with a couple of sheltered climbs and then it finally started to get behind us on the Roman road back from Stretton (fortunately less muddy than the week before).

Everyone seemed to enjoy themselves, so I might have to put this one on again next year.