Author Topic: Audax Etiquette  (Read 19514 times)

Re: Audax Etiquette
« Reply #75 on: 13 March, 2009, 11:49:24 am »
Hythe in Kent, twinned with... Hythe in Kent - 'cos that's how we like it

It's got positive memories for me as I'm usually going through there at about 3am on the first loop of the Flattest Possible 300, or within 30km of the finish of that ride.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #76 on: 13 March, 2009, 08:29:37 pm »
Hythe in Kent, twinned with... Hythe in Kent - 'cos that's how we like it

It's got positive memories for me as I'm usually going through there at about 3am on the first loop of the Flattest Possible 300, or within 30km of the finish of that ride.

I shouldn't be unkind...it's just that riding through on a sunny afternoon there is usually a group of da yoof standing around spitting, or whatever you do for entertainment in Hythe when you're not old enough to buy lager , and there is always that moment when the clever one tries to shout something 'funny'.  And then there's the one with the bicycle who pedals furiously to keep up with you whilst gurning because he's party to some elaborate but private joke at your expense....

Or is that most quiet towns in Britain these days???

Now where did I put my Daily Telegraph...?

The Bairn

« Reply #77 on: 13 March, 2009, 09:12:33 pm »
Apart from not being able to keep up with fellow riders - you know who you are - a certain Irish gentlemen, a couple on an unfeasably fast tandem and fella from Angus who seem to thrive on a diet of beer, bridies and curry....

The thing that really gets my goat on audax rides is that no matter where I am in a commercial control, it seems that every f****r who comes into the cafe ALWAYS leaves the door wide open, leaving me to shiver in an icy draught without so much as a secomnd thought.  If I get up to close it, that guarantees that they will also leave it open on again their way out.    It happened to me again 2 weeks ago on my first 200 in about 6 months.  What is wrong with these people.

Jules

• Has dropped his aitch!
« Reply #78 on: 14 March, 2009, 01:28:20 pm »
"Born in a barn"
Audax on the other hand is almost invisible and thought to be the pastime of Hobbits ....  Fab Foodie

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #79 on: 14 March, 2009, 02:12:13 pm »
Godfrey Gordon Gustavus Gore...

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #80 on: 15 March, 2009, 01:25:07 am »
I guess it is nor good etiquette to have a curry the night before, then lead the pack out and christen the only cubicle at the first control?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #81 on: 15 March, 2009, 10:26:13 am »
If you haven't got a route sheet or a GPS and don't live around here or ride around here regularly, so don't really know where you are, don't f***ing tell me that we are nearly there each time we near a control etc.... especially when I have the route sheet and a GPS and know where I am.  ::-)

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #82 on: 15 March, 2009, 01:32:23 pm »
If you haven't got a route sheet or a GPS and don't live around here or ride around here regularly, so don't really know where you are, don't f***ing tell me that we are nearly there each time we near a control etc.... especially when I have the route sheet and a GPS and know where I am.  ::-)

I don't suppose you want reminding that its downhill all the way from here, either...

« Reply #83 on: 15 March, 2009, 02:31:48 pm »

I'll get my coat...

« Reply #84 on: 15 March, 2009, 02:37:07 pm »
It is okay really.  I was just working hard, pushing blood sugar to the max and the stating the obvious was peeing me off.

« Reply #85 on: 16 March, 2009, 10:57:21 am »
I agree with quite a few of the observations above.

So what annoys me....

Free riders who turn up on the day, ride the route but pay no fee to the organiser.  True, they do not get a brevet card, etc, but they are still spongers on the rest of us and the organiser.  Even worse if they claim free cake back at the HQ!
Organiser of Droitwich Cycling Club audaxes.  https://www.droitwichcyclingclub.co.uk/audax/

border-rider

« Reply #86 on: 16 March, 2009, 11:02:24 am »

Free riders who turn up on the day, ride the route but pay no fee to the organiser.

Some years ago, one of my clubmates did this.  Unfortunately he came off and banged his head rather hard just at a control, and of course the controllers and organisers (being kind souls) went into full rescue mode, with ambulances, hospitals and bicycle transport logisitics all involved.

I don't imagine they were too happy when they discovered he hadn't bothered entering.

But fate is fickle - after he'd been picked up from hospital and his bike loaded into someone's estate car, another clubmate (accidently) slammed the rear door of the vehicle - on the head of the original culprit.