Author Topic: Cambrian 2c perm Friday RR  (Read 1590 times)

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
Cambrian 2c perm Friday RR
« on: 15 March, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »
Some rides are just a b***er and you can't put yor finger on why.I must have done this one in part or in its entirety 6 or 7 times and it has always felt as though dick dastardly has spread glue on the road. Ok so it starts with the climb out of newquay but on fresh legs it's fine and then a nice rolling bit culminating with a steep descent into Necastle Emlyn. I had skipped breakfast so a quick pastie from spa to get a reciept and it was away again. Just after cenarth theres a bit of a drag up to Boncath and then a fairly quick bit as far as felindre farchog then it's typically coastal with sharp ups and downs culmiating in a steep climb into fishguard for tea.
 It's the next bit that always hits me hard. It's the sort of landscape that I usually relish in a ride. Bleak yes, dramatic, fairly but it is always raining. The breeze comes off of the Irish sea laden with moisture and it hits the Preseli hills and down it comes. It was a mild day but it still felt cold in this colourless landscape. The newborn lambs that would have seemed so sweet in the sunshine sounded more as though someone had just whispered in their ear and revealed their fate. Average speed plummetted as it always does for me here . but I still felt better than usual at this point. I always treat myself to a bacon sarnie from the Caravan on the A40 and this was no exception but a rolling average of below 20kph does not leave a huge amount of time so it's a slog down the A40. I'm sure there are nicer ways to tackle this bit but I need to make up a bit of time because theres plenty of climbing in the second half.
Another stop in carmarthen for a stamp. I tend to use Hobbs bike shop for a control and have a quick look around before setting off again. I always expect to continue making up time at this point but never do. I find that it's one of those roads that just saps your energy. A more powerful rider would be fine. no climbs but nowhere that I can get a move on either. Maintaining a rolling average of about 20kph.
I always get stuck somewhere and it's usuallly Llandeilo. I was feeling good but always concious of the time and the climbing ahead. I decided beforehand not to stop but just get a receipt from a supermarket or bank. Trouble is I couldn't help myself and passing an empty cafe I decided on a quick tea and more carbs. By the time I had parked my bike though a great sea of lovely grey haired and powdered ladies had descended on the cafe and were each putting in individual orders for the same tea and cake. I waited patiently but after a bit of a feed it turned out that they had no date and time stamp on the till. I crossed the road to Barclays but the machine was out of order so down to CKs. I was feeling good actually but found myself in that sort of audax haze of indecision. I didn't actually want anything but ended up buying a snickers ice cream and then waiting in a long queue of people doing their weekly shop and then trying to pay in Japanese yen. Of course the ice cream didn't have a bar code and I watched the seconds drain away while the staff wandered around trying to get a price.
The next bit is my favourite bit. Lovely green, rolling, Welsh countryside some of which you will be familiar with if you have done the Brevet Cymru and possibly a few other rides. The long drag before Lampeter seems to start about two miles before it starts if you know what I mean but it's compensated for by a fast descent into Lampeter.
I always stop in the coop in Lampeter. But I realised I was quite pressed for time so got a quick cuppa in a caravan in the car park. Fool to myself I was dragged into a conversation by two old timers into wether a border collie could beat me over 120 miles. According to these two guys a border collie could do pretty much anything. Then I started faffing with my back light and decided I needed tape so wandered into the coop and asked the one member of staff that knew nothing about anything but was desperate to show the contrary. In the end I let him go and he may still be looking for tape now. I had a couple of abortive attempts to fix my light and then found one that worked. I wasn't sure that I was going to finish on time at this point as the bit between Felinfach and Mydroilyn is a bit of a sod but then it's down hill all the way to the finish in Newquay. On time but not much to spare.
I find this a tough ride. I think maybe it's a bit hilly most of the way round rather than most rides that have a hilly section somewhere. It's one of only two that I ever feel pressed for time on. The other being Taith mynydd a mor. Doing it alone probably dosn't help I probably also tend to do it when I'm less than fully fit because it's my nearest perm. Anyway I was shattered on Saturday but ready to go again on Sunday.

Re: Cambrian 2c perm Friday RR
« Reply #1 on: 15 March, 2009, 08:40:31 pm »
like it.   one of the toughest perms i`ve ever done and all.   like you said, its never exactlly hilly, but it just doesnt stop for the entire 200k.  a little tip for the future, dont take the felinfach to mydroilyn road, instead , keep going towards aberaeron . go through ciliau aeron and turn left ,sign posted oakford. follow that and it will bring you out by the crossroads at llanarth.  its about half a mile further but a damn site quicker. trust me i know ,  i live in felinfach and road to work in newquay everyday of my life for many years.   if this is your closest perm, where are you? 

ludwig

• never eat a cyclists gloves
    • grown in wales
« Reply #2 on: 16 March, 2009, 06:11:06 am »
I'll remember that tip. Last time i did this ride was just before christmas and I thought I was out of time and just carried on to aberaeron. I noticed that turn then and wondered where it came out. I am in cardigan

« Reply #3 on: 16 March, 2009, 09:37:16 am »
I am in cardigan

Ah! Just recognised you! Best wishes and hope to see you up the road!