Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 939009 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #9500 on: 11 September, 2021, 09:11:02 pm »
Eaten by Lions

We haven't had TV for a month due to the Bilsdale transmitter burning down. Yesterday a temporary transmitter restored some channels and this came up on BBC 4. A smashing British comedy with lush cinematography that looks like something from an American indie film form the 70s.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9501 on: 12 September, 2021, 08:06:14 am »
Netflux's Kate, mostly because the plot reminded me of a 1950s film called D.O.A., which used exactly the same device but, being a noir hard-boiled-detective flick, was much more subtle.  Kate was OK if you can tolerate yakuza, gore, martial farts and lots of bang-bang-you're-dead long enough to find out what happened.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #9502 on: 12 September, 2021, 10:35:35 am »
21 Grams.  Free on prime just now and we’ll worth a watch.  I thought it was superb

« Reply #9503 on: 13 September, 2021, 07:41:55 pm »
Perfect Strangers. A film of Deep Purple (Gillan, Paice, Glover, Lord and Blackmore) in concert in Melbourne in 1984. By God, Blackmore was good!
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #9504 on: 13 September, 2021, 09:58:59 pm »
Anyone seen the People Just Do Nothing film yet?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9505 on: 23 September, 2021, 02:31:19 pm »
Castle in the Sky.  Dunno why we never saw this with the kids when it came out: son might have been a bit too pimply yoof for it but it would have suited our daughter perfectly.  Anyway, now that there's nobody around to ask us why we're watching a kiddie flick we watched it last night and really enjoyed it.

Duh. Maybe it's a perfect second-childhood flick.  :o  Oh well, it was fun anyway. Pass the Complan.

« Reply #9506 on: 30 September, 2021, 04:09:18 pm »
Summer of Soul.

Obviously the music is fabulous, but the whole story of how it happened and how it was forgotten is quite a thing. And lordy, the outfits.

« Reply #9507 on: 02 October, 2021, 03:41:45 am »
Bondjamesbond is mildly entertaining, though could have borne being an hour shorter.

« Reply #9508 on: 02 October, 2021, 03:08:16 pm »
Emperor Of The North

Ernest Borgnine and Lee Marvin chew the scenery as railway thug and hobo, respectively.  But the real stars were the steam locomotives.  I don't think anyone made engines as beautifully ugly (therefore easier to maintain) than whoever built for the Americans. 

« Reply #9509 on: 08 October, 2021, 08:04:06 am »
Black Widow. Kinda poor.

ian

« Reply #9510 on: 08 October, 2021, 11:30:05 am »
I quite enjoyed Black Widow, though it felt like it should have come out far earlier in the franchise. It was a nice step back from the usual Marvel bombast which requires the levelling of entire cities and the occasional planet these days.

No Time to Die. Entertaining enough, but I never really got the buzz about Bond. Other than the branding, it could have been any other action movie. Things go boom. Cars get chased. They never quite seem sure what to do with Bond.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9511 on: 08 October, 2021, 03:39:46 pm »
The original Bond was a ruthless womanizer, and such were Hollywood tropes of the time that a wee pile of clothes and dreamy muzak were enough to suggest that the DEED had been done.  As Craig moved in so did PC, Respect and all the other baggage, so to get the sex he had to fall in Luv, which meant strictly one wenching per flim.  The plot no longer knew which way to turn.

Speaking of tropes, so frequently do the newly love-stricken pair realize their undying lust just as they come in the door that in this household "Quick! To the kitchen!" has become a trope of our very own.  Speed the day a misplaced santoku detesticles the male lead before he can trip the QR skewer on his jock strap.

ian

« Reply #9512 on: 08 October, 2021, 04:45:44 pm »
That's the problem, he's supposed to be a cad. But they can't run with that, in case it upsets people on Twitter, and the result makes you feel a bit, well, moralized. At least he's still allowed the martinis. I doubt the next one will be.

« Reply #9513 on: 08 October, 2021, 06:47:53 pm »
I quite enjoyed Black Widow, though it felt like it should have come out far earlier in the franchise. It was a nice step back from the usual Marvel bombast which requires the levelling of entire cities and the occasional planet these days.

Not really. The set pieces were still silly and overdone and there was never any point where the protagonists really felt in danger or that you had doubt that they would succeed. There was also some *really* bad VFX, but I assume these are mostly from the usual last minute changes from Marvel. ("Hey, you know that thing that you spend the last 3 months on and are supposed to finish next week. Weeeeeeell, we got a few changes and we still need it next week.")

MCU is in dire need of a reboot.

ian

« Reply #9514 on: 08 October, 2021, 08:35:51 pm »
Origin stories are never going to be fraught, tbh, which is why they're often a bit tedious. I didn't notice the special effects, but I've recently moved my movie watching from the Imax to the local-ish Everyman which, in comparison, is just a big tv.

The MCU might need a creative reboot, but I suspect they're happy with the money they're bringing in. We'll probably get bored with them at some point and bring back, erm, Westerns or some such. I dunno, what is the next genre? There's actually an entire catalogue of Jennifer Aniston romcoms that only I know about, because there's a special alternative universe I used to go to on flights that featured them. Trust me, there are at least seven of them – I've checked – that don't exist in this universe.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9515 on: 09 October, 2021, 01:01:21 pm »
Bondjamesbond is mildly entertaining, though could have borne being an hour shorter.

Funny that: an NZ friend said it was soooo good she was gong back to see it again.  I haven't seen it but I suspect you're right.

« Reply #9516 on: 13 October, 2021, 11:12:04 am »
Bond.

Had a fun discussion with friends afterwards about what actions would be considered a war crime or a crime against humanity.

It's a long film, I had to go for a pee in the middle of it.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #9517 on: 13 October, 2021, 11:16:39 pm »
Well I 1 didn’t expect that Mr Bond.

An enjoyable and diverting enough 3 hours and mostly in keeping with the Bond I grew up,with, though the PC aspects can be a bit in your face.

Next up is Dune, which I’m trying to decide whether to go on opening night, or leave it a week or to to quieten down a bit. I’m looking forward to it, because let’s face it, it really can’t be as bad as the first attempt…

1. No, I’m not sure how I managed to avoid spoilers either, but quite without trying I managed to.  ;D
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #9518 on: 19 October, 2021, 12:12:59 am »
Dune !   Ortnithopters !  Good ornithopters !  Sandworms !  Fremen !  Deserts !  Sandstorms! Heighliners!  Visually impressive.  Gets a lot of stuff right. 

(click to show/hide)
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #9519 on: 19 October, 2021, 09:23:36 am »
Dune !   Ortnithopters !  Good ornithopters !  Sandworms !  Fremen !  Deserts !  Sandstorms! Heighliners!  Visually impressive.  Gets a lot of stuff right. 

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #9520 on: 19 October, 2021, 09:52:14 am »
Have you managed to get the sand out of everything yet?
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #9521 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:57:56 pm »
I saw Bond tonight. It's as good as any modern Bond I suppose. I don't get why he went to so much trouble to ship various Astons all over the world only to leave by other means though!
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #9522 on: 21 October, 2021, 12:12:27 am »

(click to show/hide)
If they get the green light for part two, most of this should be sorted. It might show up in 2024... Villeneuve deliberately cut out certain scenes & Feyd. 'There were certainly broad-stroke decisions that were made, just to find the most dynamic way to tell the story. We had to shovel some things into Part Two for the mental sanity of everybody'.
(FFS man, include the fight with the Atreides slave on Giedi Prime. That would be brilliant).

redshift

• High Priestess of wires
    • redshift home
« Reply #9523 on: 21 October, 2021, 01:11:19 pm »

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

I saw it in Imax this morning. I would add that whilst it's definitely not the book, is is a good film of the book, and the sound (vox Vs M&E) balance seemed much better in the Imax than in my local Vue, but that may be an Imax thing as I've heard that said before.
Yes some stuff's missing, and like the LOTR adaptation some expected words end up in unexpected mouths, but overall I'd say it's a good adaptation.

I wouldn't mind seeing the 5-hour version, and if they do  LOTR-style extended disc I'll no doubt buy it.

In the end though, the pictures in the book are always going to be better!
L
:)
Windcheetah No. 176
The all-round entertainer gets quite arsey,
They won't translate his lame shit into Farsi
Somehow to let it go would be more classy…

ian

« Reply #9524 on: 21 October, 2021, 02:35:20 pm »
Oh god, there's a part 2.

This should be banned. You have one movie. Just fucking do it in one movie.