Author Topic: PSA: International Buyers - Bacchetta  (Read 1669 times)

Aushiker

• Cyclist, bushwalker, phottographer (amaturer)
    • Aushiker: Bicycling and Hiking in Western Australia
PSA: International Buyers - Bacchetta
« on: 14 June, 2014, 11:56:08 am »
This is a heads-up to international buyers considering buying from Bacchetta.

I just sent an email to Bacchetta to get clarification as I just went to purchase a Recurve seat through them and thought I was paying the US$250 + $28.19 postage, which converts at todays exchange rate to $296.05 Australian. However the price coming up when it gets to the checkout using their Bongo service which "converts" the purchase to Australian dollars, the invoice price becomes AU$404.14 .  That means a premium of AU$108.09 just for placing an order ...

Interesting I can get the seat from say Calhoun Cycles for $249.97 + 71.65 US which is ~ $322 Australia, a saving of $80 on Bacchetta themselves.

Anyway just a heads-up to check if you buying from Bacchetta directly and are an international customer.

Regards
Andrew

Re: PSA: International Buyers - Bacchetta
« Reply #1 on: 14 June, 2014, 05:23:08 pm »
This sort of thing is becoming increasingly common, both online and with Point of Sale terminals - it recognises a foreign-issued card then, for your convenience of course, offers to bill you in your home currency. Any system I've interacted with has had the option to switch back and bill you in local currency instead (though often with POS terminals the staff either don't know how to do it or simply plead ignorance) - I *believe* that it's a requirement from Mastercard and Visa that such an option exists.

ETA - looks like the Bongo service is more than just billing. It appears that they purchase from the vendor on your behalf, sort out international shipping and customs clearance, and pay any taxes or duties due, so that the price quoted is what you'll pay to have the goods delivered to your door, without the lottery of whether or not you'll have duty and a carrier's handling fee added.

The UK pricing for that same seat would be GBP197.55 (plus delivery) where $250 equates to about £147 at current exchange rates: add in VAT at 20% (giving $300, £177) and the courier's handling charge for customs clearance (£8 and upwards depending on the carrier), and £197 starts to look a wee bit expensive rather than a total rip-off.

I suspect that if you order from Calhoun and the package gets caught for import taxes, the total will end up being closer to AU$400 than to AU$320.

I'd probably still rather have the carrier lottery though, with the chance of not getting stung for tax and duty at all.

Aushiker

« Reply #2 on: 15 June, 2014, 02:42:29 am »
ETA - looks like the Bongo service is more than just billing. It appears that they purchase from the vendor on your behalf, sort out international shipping and customs clearance, and pay any taxes or duties due, so that the price quoted is what you'll pay to have the goods delivered to your door, without the lottery of whether or not you'll have duty and a carrier's handling fee added.

Ahh I wasn't aware they where acting as a purchaser. For us here in Australia this will incur no import duties or other taxes (none of that kicks in till the shipment exceeds AU$1,000 in value plus we have a Free Trade Agreement with America so no duties on American made items and anyway bicycle parts are duty free) so Bongo International is simply acting as a buyer/on forwarder and charging for doing that. There is also no custom clearance fees.

Buying from say Calhoun Cycles means I am doing the buying and they ship directly using USPS or whoever, normally with tracking. Worth going this option to save the dollars if I cannot get any luck with the local dealer (only one in Australia) who may have pretty much closed up shop it seems.

Pity Bacchetta have gone down this path as they where shipping themselves previously at reasonably prices.

Andrew

« Reply #3 on: 15 June, 2014, 07:33:49 am »
Don't you have to pay GST on imports?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Aushiker

« Reply #4 on: 15 June, 2014, 10:40:36 am »
Don't you have to pay GST on imports?

Only where the shipment value exceeds $1,000.  Customs may also track for multiple shipments from the same supplier to the same address over a two week period or thereabouts and if they add up to $1,000 or more then duty if applicable and GST is applied.

Andrew

Aushiker

« Reply #5 on: 17 June, 2014, 07:48:49 am »
I have had an update from Jeremy at Bacchetta ...

Hi Andrew:

Can you tell me if that additional $120 is just exchange, or is that the landed cost after paying taxes and clearance fees?

This is a new system, so I am just a bit unsure as to what you are being charged for.
Any info you could provide would help.

As an alternative, you could order direct from us.  I could ship via us mail, which may be around $50 or so.  Whatever rate your credit card company charges would be what you pay for exchange.

Let me know what you would like to do.
thanks

Jeremy

Looking like it may get sorted.

Andrew