Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 525405 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #4725 on: 01 October, 2021, 11:17:11 am »
Oh yes he is !

What we pass for normal service resumed at the Swan at Totham on Wednesday.

Originally billed as an EER gathering, it became a full MEMWNs event with a mid-Essex venue and a motley crew of waifs and strays from across the County.

I puffed my way slowly through a headwind to find Tomsk, Humphrey Gilbert, Fandango and the Essex Strangler locking up their bikes - tonight was to be our first indoor meeting for what seemed like a very long time. On entry to the pub we found, the now regular attendee, JenM nursing what looked suspicously like a vase of white wine.  Not only had JenM secured us a spacious corner table, she had also persuaded the barmaid to keep the pub open with the promise of thirsty cyclists.  The continuing quietness of our regular haunts on weekday evenings is becoming a worrying trend.  Fortunately Joergen arrived to boost our numbers and vindicate JenM's promise of a large thirsty cyclist.

Then panto season came early. The wicked Baron Owdaks appeared to a cacophony of boos and hissing. When the noise subsided it was time for his catchprase "but I'm pointless" delivered with his customary sneer and triggering another round of boos. It took a couple of minutes for us to register that the Baron was also the sole member of the famous Witham Peloton.  The Spa Roundabout is a cold and desolate place these days, better known for its tumbleweed than the excited chatter of pub-bound cyclists.

At least we had a quorate Committee and some ales to sample.  First up was perennial favourite Brewers Gold by Crouch Vale.  It was soon followed by Mighty Oak's Captain Bob, St Austell's Tribute and a bottled version of Mighty Oak's Oscar Wilde Mild (sadly not really a patch on the draught version).  Brewers Gold was declared the worthy winner of the coveted Award.

The conversation became a disjointed mix of the Baron explaining that riding long distances through set checkpoints within a time limit is just a random occurrence and not a breach of his retirement undertakings, some fascinating technical chat about life afloat, Joergen telling us he wasn't going to sample any more ales immediately before sampling another ale and probably some other stuff.  All very pleasant.

With a tailwind and the Essex Strangler and Fandango to hide behind, I was able to disguise my lack of fitness somewhat on the way home.  I even did that thing when you know everyone else is turning off and you sprint the last couple of hundred yards before they do so to make it look like you would have ridden at that speed all the way if it wasn't for them slowing you down - you then slow to a crawl after they have turned and spend the rest of the ride home trying to catch your breath and marvelling at how weak your leg muscles have become.  A bit of windchill and an ambient temperature under 5 degrees was a reminder the seasons have turned. 

The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

« Reply #4726 on: 19 October, 2021, 03:02:04 pm »
I've just been reminded that I have some Stena Line points expiring at the end of this year. I've just checked and I can put them towards a trip next September, with a flexi fare so dates don't need to be set in stone. Anybody have any thoughts on whether an ACME Goes Dutch would be viable / have interest?

Or a more direct question, is anybody interested? In which case I can propose a format / tentative dates.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4727 on: 19 October, 2021, 03:06:22 pm »
I've just been reminded that I have some Stena Line points expiring at the end of this year. I've just checked and I can put them towards a trip next September, with a flexi fare so dates don't need to be set in stone. Anybody have any thoughts on whether an ACME Goes Dutch would be viable / have interest?

Or a more direct question, is anybody interested? In which case I can propose a format / tentative dates.

I'd be potentially interested in a Dutch trip during September 2022.

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4728 on: 19 October, 2021, 03:08:17 pm »

I'm missing the dutch riding, so put me down as tentative (not sure if I have any Stena Points)

ETA: Ive just checked and I have 451 points remaining before the end of this year - let me know the details of what you book...
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4729 on: 19 October, 2021, 04:56:30 pm »
Not sure I have any points but I am theoretically interested in going Dutch - possibly subject to whether I ride to Scotland and back or not...

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #4730 on: 19 October, 2021, 05:09:43 pm »
+1
subject to rescheduled rescheduled rescheduled forrin lands holiday date
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #4731 on: 19 October, 2021, 05:44:37 pm »
Reporting in as possibly interested (and can't remember whether I have Stena points but most likely I do)

« Reply #4732 on: 19 October, 2021, 06:12:29 pm »
I'd definitely like to go Dutch but already riding over the Pyrenees between 18-25 September, so depends a bit on timings...and general absence from home & work...

« Reply #4733 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:02:56 pm »
Cool. Sounds like there is enough interest. No commitment needed at this stage, unless you have points to use like I do!

ACME Grand is on 1st Sept, so I'm thinking we should aim for a week later.

I'm thinking about traveling out on the Wed night ferry (7th Sept), and back on the Sun night. But with a route in the Netherlands that is a square, maybe North on day 1, followed by E, S and W. That way if anybody heads across on the Thu or Fri night, then they can meet up with the rest of us towards the end of their first day.

Another feature is to have less and slower cycling (who ever had the idea of incorporating a 200km Audax ride!), so perhaps 100 - 120km each day, and incorporate some attractions along the way. The cycling museum was really interesting last time.

Anyway, plans can come later. Unless there are any immediate thoughts why these dates won't work, I'll book my ferry before the year end, and then start doing some research. Might find that the route heading South is better. Will resurrect the ACME Goes Dutch thread when planning starts for real.

« Reply #4734 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:21:39 pm »
I have just noticed the return sailings on the Sunday are at 13.45 and at 14.15 on the Monday.  That is quite a saving on the overnight sailing without losing a whole day...

« Reply #4735 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:25:04 pm »
I have just noticed the return sailings on the Sunday are at 13.45 and at 14.15 on the Monday.  That is quite a saving on the overnight sailing without losing a whole day...

That could be interesting. It would also help people who don't work at home to be back at work on the Monday.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4736 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:40:33 pm »
From memory, everyone east of Chelmsford could be back before 08:15 based on the usual sailing. Assuming no train issues.
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4737 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:45:44 pm »
I'm happy to leave it up to you and Psyclist to decide all this stuff.  After all, you will be providing the route, expert guiding, suggested food stops, points of interest etc for the whole trip so you might as well decide on the dates as well.  :thumbsup:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #4738 on: 19 October, 2021, 07:55:36 pm »
Not doing a 200k audax would be good, not that I did it last time.

But could psyclist have a spreadsheet that we can roundly trash?

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #4739 on: 19 October, 2021, 08:00:56 pm »
Sounds good to me, cheers.  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4740 on: 19 October, 2021, 08:01:23 pm »
Not doing a 200k audax would be good, not that I did it last time.

But could psyclist have a spreadsheet that we can roundly trash?
I won't be doing a 200km either! Lol
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4741 on: 19 October, 2021, 08:10:36 pm »
You will still be required to provide a detailed spreadsheet so we can grumble as we follow your carefully crafted route.

If Psyclist can also spend huge amounts of time on a completely different route, we can annoy one of you by picking the other route. 

felstedrider

« Reply #4742 on: 19 October, 2021, 08:44:29 pm »
I actually really fancy this but I’ll probably be on the Grand the previous weekend. 

I have looked at the ferries previously and it works if you work from home on the Friday as the sailing is quite late.  I would need a half day on Monday to ride home if catching the night boat.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4743 on: 19 October, 2021, 08:49:55 pm »
I actually really fancy this but I’ll probably be on the Grand the previous weekend. 

I have looked at the ferries previously and it works if you work from home on the Friday as the sailing is quite late.  I would need a half day on Monday to ride home if catching the night boat.
I find riding home spoils the holiday due to the sudden reintroduction to UK drivers
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4744 on: 19 October, 2021, 08:51:58 pm »
Last time I left my car parked up in a side street in Dovercourt, so could get home promptly on the Monday morning.

« Reply #4745 on: 20 October, 2021, 04:30:46 pm »
Flexi-booking made for the two night sailings  :thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4746 on: 20 October, 2021, 05:19:15 pm »
Flexi-booking made for the two night sailings  :thumbsup:

Which dates did you go for?
Regards,

Joergen

« Reply #4747 on: 20 October, 2021, 06:41:49 pm »
Literally the 7th and the 11th  8)

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4748 on: 20 October, 2021, 10:20:28 pm »
Literally the 7th and the 11th  8)

Seems to be refusing to let me complete the booking at the moment, prices have gone up a lot too!  :o  I'll try again tomorrow
Regards,

Joergen

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
« Reply #4749 on: 20 October, 2021, 11:22:46 pm »
Well that was worth while! A total of £4 in points LOL  ::-)
Regards,

Joergen