Author Topic: Laid Back Bikes  (Read 4608 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Laid Back Bikes
« on: 01 April, 2016, 10:44:14 am »
Anyone dealt with them?

I've had a chat and I'm happy enough, but the wife is a bit reticent partic in respect of them not having CC facilities, fear of moving large chunks of cash with no protection.  Certainly does not seem to be a fly by night company to me and well respected in the recumbent world.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Re: Laid Back Bikes
« Reply #1 on: 01 April, 2016, 11:16:16 am »
I've had loads of dealings with David at Laid-back. Never a problem. Great people to deal with. :)

However visiting the shop causes me to develop wants/needs I never new I had!

« Reply #2 on: 01 April, 2016, 01:23:51 pm »
Three bikes from David now without problem, along with more free coffees than I could count on my fingers and toes - you've got nothing to worry about.

« Reply #3 on: 01 April, 2016, 02:22:12 pm »
Highly recommended by me too. Had a bike and some bits off David as well as a try out tour around Edinburgh. A pleasure to deal with and a lovely man.

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #4 on: 01 April, 2016, 08:50:07 pm »
I've known David Gardiner for nearly 15 years.  He's energetic, talkative and totally sound.  I bought my Quest velomobile through Laid Back Bikes using a receipted bank transfer.
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #5 on: 02 April, 2016, 08:46:02 pm »
Totally trustworthy -I've bought two recumbents from Dave.
Pete Crane E75 @petecrane5

LMT

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2016, 05:11:05 pm »
Dave's a good guy, bought my Metabike through him as he is the dealer. No dramas at all with money or shipping.

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2016, 09:10:47 pm »
I've had a chat and I'm happy enough, but the wife is a bit reticent partic in respect of them not having CC facilities, fear of moving large chunks of cash with no protection.  Certainly does not seem to be a fly by night company to me and well respected in the recumbent world.

Hmm ...  Didn't realise they didn't take CCs, which rather puts a bit of a kibosh on my plan to get a Bacchetta Corsa through them in the coming weeks.  I have the £££'s but had just opened a new "0% on purchases" credit card in order to hang on to it for a bit longer!  (Plus I'm getting £25.25 just for getting the card!)  At this rate I might end up back at D.Tek, though the last time I dealt with him he seemed remarkably uninterested in selling me a bike ...

On the subject of Laid Back themselves, I've never heard anything bad about them and the limited email interaction I've had with them where answered promptly and accurately.

ElyDave

« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2016, 09:50:57 pm »
He's sent me a PayPal invoice for my deposit, which can be paid through a credit card

ElyDave

« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2016, 06:55:58 am »
Done

New M5 M-Racer in the pipework  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2016, 08:06:56 pm »
He's sent me a PayPal invoice for my deposit, which can be paid through a credit card

Does that have "Not actually have Section 75 refund protection" issues?

Now that's just greedy and unnecessary, and in no way conducive to making me not want the fastest recumbent I can justify!

ElyDave

« Reply #11 on: 04 April, 2016, 09:34:49 pm »

It keeps SWMBO happy, don't ask. Or at least as happy as possible at an N+1

Now that's just greedy and unnecessary, and in no way conducive to making me not want the fastest recumbent I can justify!

Go on, you know you want to

« Reply #12 on: 05 April, 2016, 01:03:17 am »

Which? reckons not necessarily, and points out that paypal's own protection scheme will come into play, but it's clearly all a bit woolly.

If you use your credit card to pay for something through PayPal and the funds go direct to the seller, then as long as the company you're buying from has a 'Commercial Entity Agreement' with Paypal you may still be able to claim against your credit card company under Section 75 for any misrepresentation or breach of contract.

« Reply #13 on: 05 April, 2016, 02:35:04 pm »
I recently used PayPal's dispute resolution service for parts not sent by a car parts company. Got my money back no bother. ;D

« Reply #14 on: 06 April, 2016, 04:56:16 pm »

Oh but I do want to ...  That's the problem!   ;D  There was a Bacchetta Aero (the titanium one!) on eBay just recently that was more than little tempting!

ElyDave

« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2016, 06:58:29 pm »

Oh but I do want to ...  That's the problem!   ;D  There was a Bacchetta Aero (the titanium one!) on eBay just recently that was more than little tempting!

It was on my list as well, along with the Optima Baron

« Reply #16 on: 07 April, 2016, 08:41:04 pm »
I bought a Fuego from David at Laid Back Bikes, not a problem at all. He is great and full of advice. Also I have bought other bits from him before and had no issues.

LMT

« Reply #17 on: 07 April, 2016, 09:46:36 pm »

It was on my list as well, along with the Optima Baron

Unless he's sold it, Kevin at DTek had a Baron which I sold to him a few years ago.

arallsopp

• Beansontoast
    • Barring Mechanicals Blog
« Reply #18 on: 09 May, 2016, 06:30:06 pm »
Good man. Trustworthy. You won't go wrong with David. (3 bikes from him, so far...)
Love words, hate lulu? Buy "Barring Mechanicals" on Amazon UK or US