Author Topic: Grunhilda is on her way!  (Read 10588 times)

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
Grunhilda is on her way!
« on: 27 April, 2020, 06:06:29 pm »
Yep, been collected, and we should finally be together, tea time tomorrow.......squueeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!

nicknack

• Hornblower
Re: Grunhilda is on her way!
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2020, 07:01:39 pm »
Does that mean that you'll be nearer the road to better spot those discarded items?
There's no vibrations, but wait.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2020, 07:14:23 pm »
Does that mean that you'll be nearer the road to better spot those discarded items?

Indeed it does,in fact if I leave my rack pack open,  I may not need to stop,just scooop and lob!   :thumbsup:   

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2020, 07:25:07 pm »
I very nearly had an embarrassing crash while attempting to scoop and lob a stray football from a moving recumbent.  Of course, I've always been shit at ballsports, so why should laid back bike polo be any different?

tonycollinet

• No Longer a western province of Númenor
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2020, 10:34:17 pm »
Enjoy  :thumbsup:

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #5 on: 28 April, 2020, 06:45:56 am »
Enjoy  :thumbsup:

Thanks again Tony , I hope I do .

« Reply #6 on: 28 April, 2020, 01:45:32 pm »
Well...

Is it together yet?
Have you been out on it?

Come on don't keep us in suspenders!

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #7 on: 28 April, 2020, 01:55:23 pm »
Have fun!  And as me Da would say, health to ride it.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8 on: 28 April, 2020, 02:21:55 pm »
Well...

Is it together yet?
Have you been out on it?

Come on don't keep us in suspenders!

It's Not tea time yet!

network.ned

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2020, 05:28:22 pm »

It's Not tea time yet!

It is now!! Photo please

PDQ frame now sourced. On to the build...

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2020, 07:48:30 pm »
hp (1) by mark tilley, on Flickr

Dah Dah!! 

Not a photo taken today ( few years ago, but little used)  I hasten to add, as its raining and dark, It WILL be this clean again, by tomorrow eve.  Felt very strange to sit on. less reclined than I thought, although seat was at max height at rear. 
Q1.......the rear spring adjustment.    There was a loose knock when moving the bike, eminating from the rear shock, but taking a quick look, the threaded adjuster hadn't ever been moved, and was at its slackest setting.  So I wound the knurled adjuster knob, around maybe 2 turns, and its all tightened up.  How do you set this correctly, is it to set preload, or seat height, or ultimately both. 

Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh! and  I've got to adjust the boom to suit, and work out why the front light doesn't work

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:29:18 pm »
The twiddler on the shock adjusts the preload.  You're aiming for the shock to compress by about 30% of the available travel when the bike is loaded (with rider+luggage).  Same goes for the front fork.  Adding luggage mostly affects the rear suspension.

There's no adjustment for seat height (well, tyre pressure  :)), just the angle of recline.

Destructions available here: https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/en/?jet_download=12403

network.ned

« Reply #12 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:37:05 pm »
Oh my that's nice. Although it is giving me cable anxiety. Beautiful colour.

PDQ frame now sourced. On to the build...

« Reply #13 on: 28 April, 2020, 08:57:45 pm »
Yes, rather nice. Odd how it looks like a high BB in that photo/

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #14 on: 28 April, 2020, 09:16:46 pm »
The twiddler on the shock adjusts the preload.  You're aiming for the shock to compress by about 30% of the available travel when the bike is loaded (with rider+luggage).  Same goes for the front fork.  Adding luggage mostly affects the rear suspension.

There's no adjustment for seat height (well, tyre pressure  :)), just the angle of recline.

Destructions available here: https://www.hpvelotechnik.com/en/?jet_download=12403

Thanks Kim

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #15 on: 29 April, 2020, 03:38:41 pm »
IMG_1243 by mark tilley, on Flickr

Best way to clean it I thought, works a treat!

IMG_1244 by mark tilley, on Flickr

All cleaned up.  Since this picture, I've re- adjusted the front mudguard, fitted an old Halfords 8 function computer, re calibrated it to suit, dug out my old carradice rack top bag, (with an ORANGE stripe round it), washed the mud off, and fiitted, and got the front light working.  The halogen bulb had gone.  I could replace with a newer 'senso' led light, but really, I don't intend to ride this too much at night, or I have my old Solid light unit that works well, but might need fettling to work with the rear stand light.  Oh, and I sorted the handlebar tape as well.

I did have a wee go, in the garden and yes I did fall off, BUT in my defence I was trying to ride round in a small oval loop , on wet grass, so every time I stalled in a bend, my foot slipped on the wet grass and over I went. Oh how I did larf..  But can now go round until I get bored, or a bush gets in the way. I find the most difficult thing is the start off. you're sat there, brakes on, pedal up, full throttle, but there is that nagging doubt, preventing ''chocks away''. once airbone all is fine,its just letting the brakes off in the first place. teeeheee!! :)

Oh!! And I've found out how to do a 180.   You ride into a bush  dead end, and turning the bike around is a bit awkward, but lock front brake, stand up and pull the bars up behind you, lifting the rear wheel off the ground, and shuffel around in a semi circle, and gently lower the back down again. Can be done almost smoothly.  ;)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #16 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:34:31 pm »
cracking start Blodders

It's the launch that is the most tricky until you get used to it, just find a car park and practice that again and again.  Also a good idea to practice the slow speed turns
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #17 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:48:11 pm »
Practice hill starts too.  Uphill starts on skittery surfaces or into adverse camber turns are advanced-level recumbenteering.

FWIW, I start and stop on my Streetmachine from a sitting upright position, primarily in order to better reach the ground.  I find this position trades maximum pedalling torque (you have to pull back on the bars somewhat) for more upright-bike-like balance control and a faster abort-to-foot-down position, which can occasionally be useful when the going gets sketchy.  I think newbies tend to find that easier that starting from laid back in the seat.

ETA: I have my seat fully reclined.  It may be less useful if it's more upright.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #18 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:52:40 pm »
well, it was coming up for tea time,and it had stopped raining, and I was plagued with memories of riding around in circles, SO.....................  On with cycling kit, ( to put me in the mood), on with the helmet, (never normally wear one ) and off!!!!!!!!!!

A completely uneventful 11km first ride, with a few tricky bits and some main road/traffic lights as well.  Things noticed.

1)  Boom needs to go out at least another 25-40mm, with xtra chain,
2) gears need fettling, cables lubed etc
3) Brakes binding a tad, need adjusting,

I learned to relax almost straight away, and was more than pleased with my efforts.   Also you are forced to smile and talk to people as you go by,as they look right at you.   

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #19 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:58:50 pm »
BTW who runs schwalbe supreme in  42 x 406, and what did you calibrate your computer to, I worked it out roughly to be 1525mm , but riding along at an indicated 25kmh didn't feel that fast?

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2020, 07:59:15 pm »
Practice hill starts too.  Uphill starts on skittery surfaces or into adverse camber turns are advanced-level recumbenteering.

FWIW, I start and stop on my Streetmachine from a sitting upright position, primarily in order to better reach the ground.  I find this position trades maximum pedalling torque (you have to pull back on the bars somewhat) for more upright-bike-like balance control and a faster abort-to-foot-down position, which can occasionally be useful when the going gets sketchy.  I think newbies tend to find that easier that starting from laid back in the seat.

ETA: I have my seat fully reclined.  It may be less useful if it's more upright.

Shh, I wasn't going to go there yet!

Also on the sitting up to start, tends to give better view around the corner, especially that uphill right hand turn at a T-Junction
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21 on: 29 April, 2020, 08:08:42 pm »
BTW who runs schwalbe supreme in  42 x 406, and what did you calibrate your computer to, I worked it out roughly to be 1525mm , but riding along at an indicated 25kmh didn't feel that fast?

Did you allow for the tyre deformation when you sit on it? The effective tyre diameter unloaded can be quite different to loaded, particularly for small wheels.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 29 April, 2020, 08:48:48 pm »
You sense of how fast it feels will probably need a bit of calibrating too.  You're not low down, but the smooth ride can be deceptive.

« Reply #23 on: 29 April, 2020, 09:21:37 pm »
 On a quiet road or pavement, put a dab of paint on the tyre (of the wheel the magnet is on), sit on the bike and roll it forward - measure the distance between the paint dots on the road, and that's the circumferenc figure to use when setting up the computer.  ;)
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #24 on: 30 April, 2020, 12:51:33 pm »
Very nice!
As Wobbly John said with the measurement of circumference. (In MM)

The good thing about this "lockdown" is the roads are quieter than normal for practicing on.

I put mine on a turbo trainer when setting the boom length, it makes it easier to do a test ride and still have your tools/spare chain etc handy.

Smiling when riding a recumbent is a prime requisite. ;D

Good luck & enjoy.

P.S.
I like the 180 method. :thumbsup: