Author Topic: air fryers and multicookers  (Read 11341 times)

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
Re: air fryers and multicookers
« Reply #50 on: 20 October, 2023, 11:27:41 pm »
I've got a hundred quid Amazon gift card from work burning a hole in my pocket and am trying resist buying a multi cooker. (Pingu will probably grumble if I buy another gadget...)  :-[

Consider me grumbled.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #51 on: 21 October, 2023, 07:12:36 pm »
OK, I have another stupid question. I see recipes for cooking tough cuts of meat in the pressure cooker (e.g. pork cheeks) and they all seem to suggest pressure cooking the recipe but then spending a while after that reducing the sauce which seems a bit of a faff. Can't these recipes be made with less liquid to begin with (or do you end up burning the sauce then the water makes the steam)?

(Before you say it, I currently braise the pork cheeks for hours in the oven. I've tried doing them on the Brod & Taylor slow cook function and they were meh, so I'm not really interested in doing them by slow cooker again).
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

ian

« Reply #52 on: 21 October, 2023, 08:03:39 pm »
The pressure cooker needs a fair amount of liquid otherwise it beeps plaintively and refuses to cook. Don’t ask me how it knows but you can’t fool it.

« Reply #53 on: 25 October, 2023, 04:25:06 pm »
I'm going to try air-frying Babybel in breadcrumbs tonight.  :demon:

« Reply #54 on: 26 October, 2023, 08:34:03 pm »

Take the wax off first to reduce the fire risk...

« Reply #55 on: 27 October, 2023, 08:31:00 am »

Take the wax off first to reduce the fire risk...

It's been 2 days and no further posts from Legs. Should we be concerned?

ian

« Reply #56 on: 27 October, 2023, 10:01:07 pm »
Wax?

« Reply #57 on: 01 November, 2023, 01:24:58 pm »
Oh sorry, folks, I didn't realise you were waiting for an update!  Yup, I got Legs Minimus to take the wax off and help me roll the ickle cheeses in flour, dunk in egg, roll in herby breadcrumbs (from homemade loaf), repeat dunk in egg, repeat roll in breadcrumbs.  I did them for 10 minutes at 180 degrees and they were just starting to haemorrhage their cheesy goo when I took them out.  The family proclaimed them a very satisfying amuse-bouche.  :thumbsup:

« Reply #58 on: 03 November, 2023, 12:22:23 pm »
Pimientos de Padrón are simplicity itself in the air-fryer and absolutely <chef's kiss>.  It's much cleaner than my old way of frying them in olive oil in my cast-iron griddle pan and carries much lower risk or first- or second-degree burns from spitting oil...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #59 on: 03 November, 2023, 12:45:54 pm »
we have two cooker gadgets: an instant pot and a Remoska

most of our evening meals (for 2) are done in the Remoska now

« Reply #60 on: 27 November, 2023, 01:43:44 pm »
My flat has a tiny galley kitchen. It has a built in full size oven which I do use for two people. When the kitchen is renovated I seriously am considering no over and having an air fryer.
To try one out I fancy the Tesco Go Cook air fryer at 48 quid.  Single basket 4 litres

My question is will this be fine or should I go for a two basket Ninja Foodie. Drawbacks there being cost and counter space used.

As an aside, the built in microwave has failed over the years. Have replaced with a countertop micorwave costing 30 quid
Similarly built in fridge freezer failed and replaced with standalone unit. Same for washing machine.
So i am not a great fan of built in appliances.

« Reply #61 on: 27 November, 2023, 01:57:00 pm »
I bought this air fryer a few months ago & have only used my oven a couple of times since , for shop bought pizzas as they won't fit in the air fryer.

https://www.costco.co.uk/Appliances/Small-Kitchen-Appliances/Cooking-Specialty/Gourmia-67L-Digital-Air-Fryer/p/6487 

It's available from other places for higher prices .  I've cooked steak, chops, chicken portions, half a duck, sausages all using the air fry setting.  There is a special setting for Bacon!   It's a little noisy but not annoyingly so.  Easy to clean.  It comes with a rack so you can double layer food.   I've yet to try baking with it.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #62 on: 27 November, 2023, 03:27:38 pm »
My flat has a tiny galley kitchen. It has a built in full size oven which I do use for two people. When the kitchen is renovated I seriously am considering no over and having an air fryer.
To try one out I fancy the Tesco Go Cook air fryer at 48 quid.  Single basket 4 litres

My question is will this be fine or should I go for a two basket Ninja Foodie. Drawbacks there being cost and counter space used.

As an aside, the built in microwave has failed over the years. Have replaced with a countertop micorwave costing 30 quid
Similarly built in fridge freezer failed and replaced with standalone unit. Same for washing machine.
So i am not a great fan of built in appliances.

You could consider a free standing stove as a replacement for your built in oven. To maintain counter space (I assume you currently also have a hob) choose either one with an induction hob, or one with a gas hob and fold down cover.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #63 on: 27 November, 2023, 04:01:53 pm »
Thankyou.  I am considerign an induction hob because
a) Mrs Scum has mobility difficulties - though has never had any problems with the gas hob
b) I lived in Denmark briefly and everyone has an induction hob

Then again I do like cooking with the controlability of gas.

« Reply #64 on: 27 November, 2023, 06:38:06 pm »
It’s not a fine a control as gas, as the power is still stepped, but it’s pretty good.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #65 on: 28 November, 2023, 01:23:56 pm »
Yeahbut there isn't the lag that you get with gas.  And you can deliver so much more heat than with gas, which is a game-changer for stir-fry.  To say nothing of it being wipe-clean and not filling the house with NOx and water vapour.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #66 on: 28 November, 2023, 02:07:26 pm »
Yeahbut there isn't the lag that you get with gas.  And you can deliver so much more heat than with gas, which is a game-changer for stir-fry.  To say nothing of it being wipe-clean and not filling the house with NOx and water vapour.
I completely agree with these points, especially the wipe-clean ability. But I very rarely do stir fry.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.