Author Topic: Latest breadmakers  (Read 2049 times)

Latest breadmakers
« on: 20 July, 2023, 07:12:23 pm »
Are they any better than they were 20 years ago?

I used to have one but it used to leave a big void in the loaf where the mixing paddle sat.

Thinking of getting one as fresh bread (ie. non-chorley shit) isn't easy to get without a trip to supermarket, and sourdough is too much faff when Im working

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Latest breadmakers
« Reply #1 on: 20 July, 2023, 08:49:50 pm »
Ours is a slightly changed design from 20 years ago but the bucket and paddle are, so far as I can tell, the same shape. (Panasonic)
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #2 on: 20 July, 2023, 09:12:36 pm »
i have had 2 panasonics in the past, um maybe 15 years.  The current one is still going strong
There is a small hole sometimes from the paddle but it's fine

« Reply #3 on: 21 July, 2023, 10:35:55 am »
Another Panasonic user, yes there is a slight dent with the paddle, but I can put up with that
I have not bought bread in years, home made is so much better

« Reply #4 on: 21 July, 2023, 10:39:33 am »
The alternative is just use the breadmaker as a mixer, proofer, and just tip the dough in a tin and shove it in the oven.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #5 on: 21 July, 2023, 11:34:44 am »
There is a supermarket that does non-Chorley?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 21 July, 2023, 12:03:06 pm »
The alternative is just use the breadmaker as a mixer, proofer, and just tip the dough in a tin and shove it in the oven.

Requires a bit more in the way of  a) effort  b) electrons, thobut.

« Reply #7 on: 21 July, 2023, 12:06:36 pm »
And is pointless given I also have a mixer  ;D

« Reply #8 on: 25 July, 2023, 04:42:35 am »
There's been a weird chain of events. I found a brand new top line Panasonic 2550 from an eBay kitchen goods trader for £145 (seem to retail at £170-200)

A couple of days later they emailed me saying they had dispatched the wrong one (a 2530.) and that they have sent out the correct one, and that there is no need to return the incorrect item.  The same day the 2530 arrived, but from Amazon.  If they have sent the correct one and delivery time is the same it will arrive today.

I will then have two brand new bread makers  ???

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #9 on: 30 July, 2023, 03:20:06 pm »

I don't think ALL the bread Sainsbury's sell is Chorleywood.

« Reply #10 on: 30 July, 2023, 03:24:53 pm »
Just read this...

https://bakeryinfo.co.uk/retail/how-do-uk-supermarkets-operate-their-in-store-bakeries/655567.article

I'm quite surprised at the number that bake from scratch. I knew sains does because you can buy fresh yeast there.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #11 on: 30 July, 2023, 10:14:58 pm »

I don't think ALL the bread Sainsbury's sell is Chorleywood.
I don't think it's always possible to tell, TBH.

« Reply #12 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:04:00 am »
All supermarket bread certainly seems to have the Chorleywood type of texture.  I'd be astounded if any supermarket operated a full bakery these days.  But it got me thinking about bread we used to buy from a bakery in Selsey that did bake from scratch, and yet it still had the modern light spongy texture we've become accustomed to.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #13 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:18:57 am »
Well some of them do bake from scratch, so do a mixture of full baking and part-bake, and Lidl does just part bake.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:26:36 am »
Baking from scratch does not necessarily mean "not Chorleywood", and vice versa.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #15 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:42:49 am »
I think CBP is usually associated with very large industrial bakeries, requiring special high speed mixers.
I don't think that equipment is suited to small individual in-store bakeries, but I could be wrong.

« Reply #16 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:47:40 am »
I think CBP is usually associated with very large industrial bakeries, requiring special high speed mixers.
I don't think that equipment is suited to small individual in-store bakeries, but I could be wrong.

I suspect the only way to tell would be to look at the ingredients.

« Reply #17 on: 31 July, 2023, 10:51:55 am »

This was what I was thinking, and hence wondering how smaller bakeries get the texture - as HF says, it's probably all in the ingredients.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)