Author Topic: ACME Easter Arrow 2020  (Read 7012 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
ACME Easter Arrow 2020
« on: 11 February, 2020, 03:38:09 pm »
The Recidivists of ACME are going for a repeat of their 2018 [wet] Broken Arrow of 2018, [more beer, fewer miles].

However, ACME Dynamite Fixed are currently at the minimum of three members and would like to recruit two more, not necessarily on fixed, but the route will be fixed/singlespeed friendly: Witham start at 09:00 Good Friday, lots of Fenland [probably], 400km or near enough, pub evening meal at around 220km. Non-ACME riders welcome too.

Re: ACME Easter Arrow 2020
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:32:33 pm »
Evening Tomsk. If I'm already included in ACME Dynamite fixed numbers that's cool, if not please do count me in for some fixed fun in the fens. ;D

For anyone thinking about an Arrow - I did this in 2017 in the fixed-wheel ACME team Witham - York as my first one and it remains one of my favourite 400 km AUK events I've ever ridden. The teamwork and camaraderie, arriving with others in York having completed very different routes, make for a unique experience.

Nim

« Reply #2 on: 11 February, 2020, 08:48:44 pm »
For the first time in 4 years I'm skipping the Arrow this year, opting instead for a 600km bikepacking race from the Lake District to the North Sea and back. The route for that takes me through York, but it'll be on the Friday evening, so unfortunately I'll miss everybody this year. Pity Thursday evening Arrow starts are no longer possible.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 11 February, 2020, 09:58:08 pm »
I too am doing something other than an Arrow this year.  Heading a bit further north for a 300. Sure you’ll fill the places no problem.

rob

« Reply #4 on: 11 February, 2020, 10:11:04 pm »
Didn’t think I should mention this at home tonight.  I think I said I’d be at home over Easter.  Leave it with me.

« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2020, 08:36:38 am »
I was in a fixed arrow team once. Made for a very tight paceline. BTW my 'team trundle' are also at the minimum*,  IMO not a bad thing, improves the team  dynamic, starting off knowing the team relies on you all finishing.
*Tandem trike + two single trikes.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #6 on: 12 February, 2020, 02:41:09 pm »
The Recidivists of ACME are going for a repeat of their 2018 [wet] Broken Arrow of 2018, [more beer, fewer miles].

I'm potentially in for this, depends on what else we're doing...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #7 on: 12 February, 2020, 05:45:12 pm »
I think I've captained just two all-fixed Arrows. The first, three years ago we were all on 72" or thereabouts, last time a bit of variety, including Teethgrinder on something mahoosive. Always makes for a good team ride though - the polar opposite being a team many moons ago, with [if my memory serves me], two on fixed, two on gears, and a recumbent. We were all over the place, pace-wise!

Evening Tomsk. If I'm already included in ACME Dynamite fixed numbers that's cool, if not please do count me in for some fixed fun in the fens. ;D

For anyone thinking about an Arrow - I did this in 2017 in the fixed-wheel ACME team Witham - York as my first one and it remains one of my favourite 400 km AUK events I've ever ridden. The teamwork and camaraderie, arriving with others in York having completed very different routes, make for a unique experience.

Nim

:thumbsup: You're in!

stefan

• aka martin
« Reply #8 on: 12 February, 2020, 10:26:02 pm »
I'm interested Tom, if you don't mind a slow interloper from Cambridge. I'd like to do an Arrow and doing it on fixed would fit in really well with my plans for the year. But I might be too slow for the group - and would need to get domestic clearance too... Discuss off line?

Member no. 152 of La Société Adrian Hands

« Reply #9 on: 13 February, 2020, 12:42:01 am »
the polar opposite being a team many moons ago, with [if my memory serves me], two on fixed, two on gears, and a recumbent. We were all over the place, pace-wise!

All over the place ability, consistency and navigation-wise too ...

I could well be interested (but am probably slower than stefan) if there's room, and if Aidan's barrow arrow doesn't find itself with a longbarrow sans stoker.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: 13 February, 2020, 07:02:27 pm »
the polar opposite being a team many moons ago, with [if my memory serves me], two on fixed, two on gears, and a recumbent. We were all over the place, pace-wise!

All over the place ability, consistency and navigation-wise too ...

I could well be interested (but am probably slower than stefan) if there's room, and if Aidan's barrow arrow doesn't find itself with a longbarrow sans stoker.

:thumbsup: We have 5 potential riders now - start training! [Riding into the forecast headwinds this weekend is a start.  :demon:]

Bernster

• ACME (Herts Branch)
« Reply #11 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:11:51 am »
I'm potentially available to ride if there's space, but also more than happy to sit out if you already have 5 - can you keep me posted on plans etc. please Tom.

josser

• ACME Landlord
  • AKA Orange Socks
    • Orange Socks
« Reply #12 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:45:51 am »
As always, very interested, still haven’t managed to do an arrow - very difficult with the Easter Steam Up at the pub. There is a small chance, as we are likely to be at Whitbreads Farm still, that they might not want to do it there this year, which will free me up, but chances are I’ll be needed as usual. I’ll keep you posted and if you have a free spot nearer the time, I might just be able to do it.
You can’t just call time out and stroll on into the beach if you don’t like the way things are goin’.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #13 on: 14 February, 2020, 09:49:43 am »
As always, very interested, still haven’t managed to do an arrow - very difficult with the Easter Steam Up at the pub. There is a small chance, as we are likely to be at Whitbreads Farm still, that they might not want to do it there this year, which will free me up, but chances are I’ll be needed as usual. I’ll keep you posted and if you have a free spot nearer the time, I might just be able to do it.

I don't think you'd like an arrow: too few hills, only lasts 24 hours and no opportunity to add to your cap / jersey collection!

« Reply #14 on: 14 February, 2020, 01:36:14 pm »
Train tickets  ;)

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #15 on: 14 February, 2020, 06:44:24 pm »

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: 15 February, 2020, 02:14:49 pm »
That's potentially 7 riders ... hmmm, two teams? Anyone want to captain team #2? Two teams of three, with Josser as the fourth member for one, depending on Compasses commitments?

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #17 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:25:18 pm »
Train tickets  ;)

So what's the view on this week's train+bike booking situation? Faffing around on the useless TOC websites fills me with despair! Split ticket sites any good? [I can't help thinking Uncle Jeremy might have eventually sorted out the trains ... ]

« Reply #18 on: 15 February, 2020, 03:58:21 pm »
So what's the view on this week's train+bike booking situation? Faffing around on the useless TOC websites fills me with despair! Split ticket sites any good? [I can't help thinking Uncle Jeremy might have eventually sorted out the trains ... ]

Hull Trains is my current go to site for ticket + bike. Just checked on your date, and the first option I selected, the 13:57 from York to Kings Cross had bookable bike space and would be £23.50.

https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #19 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:05:52 pm »

Hull Trains is my current go to site for ticket + bike. Just checked on your date, and the first option I selected, the 13:57 from York to Kings Cross had bookable bike space and would be £23.50.

https://www.hulltrains.co.uk/

:thumbsup: I'll give that a go, ta!

« Reply #20 on: 15 February, 2020, 05:54:46 pm »
I'm Interested in joining one of the teams....
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
« Reply #21 on: 15 February, 2020, 06:14:40 pm »
I'm Interested in joining one of the teams....

:thumbsup: So that makes 8 possible, excellent!

Hull Trains bookings done, plus hotel in York for Mr and Mrs Tomsk's Easter Holidays.  :thumbsup: Almost considered persuading the offspring to come, but no, they can stay at home and look after the livestock.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
    • ACME
« Reply #22 on: 16 February, 2020, 02:46:26 pm »
Just saying....I’ve made some arrangements for the ACME Alternative Arrow.  I have booked a (twin) room at the Sandford House Wetherspoons in Huntingdon for the night of Friday 10th April.
My plan is to replicate the 2018 Arrow route via Hitchin, enjoy the hospitality of the Falcon, stay the Friday night, ‘spoons breakfast in the morning then ride home by a TBD route.
If anyone is thinking similar, rooms are very reasonable at £39/night, probably similar to a train ticket home on the Friday.
Never knowingly underfed on an Audax

Deano4

• Trouble
« Reply #23 on: 16 February, 2020, 04:55:19 pm »
I’m not doing an arrow this year as we finished with only fifteen minutes to spare last year and it was probably my fault... but I am planning to to the ACME ten tonnes perm which I DNS last year, so if you’re all starting at the Spoons maybe I’ll see you all for second breakfast?
ACME - Suffolk Branch

« Reply #24 on: 16 February, 2020, 05:32:59 pm »
I’m not doing an arrow this year as we finished with only fifteen minutes to spare last year and it was probably my fault

The essence of the arrow is to complete the distance using the whole 24 hours, so that's just about perfect!