Author Topic: Lumpy behind!  (Read 4162 times)

Lumpy behind!
« on: 21 April, 2008, 03:35:16 pm »
When doing some stretching last night, I observed that my right arse cheek (around the sit-bone area) had a largeish lump over it which the left did not.  This worried me slightly.  However, further investigation revealed that this is almost certainly not anything untoward, but just that that side is more muscley, by a noticable degree.  This may be why I find it harder to get saddle-comfortable on the right.

Queries:
a) is this unusual?
b) is it due to being right-footed and/or to always starting off with right-foot-pushing-down (esp on fixed with lots of weight on the back)
c) is there anything I can do to even the muscles out?
d) is there anything I should do to even them out?
e) should I just stop bloody worrying?

Re: Lumpy behind!
« Reply #1 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:39:45 pm »
I think e is probably the most sensible option. Although I would need photo evidence to confirm this  :P
Those wonderful norks are never far from my thoughts, oh yeah!

« Reply #2 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:40:30 pm »
I'd've thought that any imbalance in a balanced activity like cycling (which eg tennis isn't) might cause difficulties later.

So, in my very untutored view, might be worth looking for balancing exercises - maybe one-legged cycling using left leg?  Might even improve your cycling by getting both legs working hard!

Be interested to hear more informed views, tho'

"What a long, strange trip it's been", Truckin'

Chris S

« Reply #3 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:40:48 pm »
I wouldn't worry too much - most people are asymmetric, including me.

My right quad and calf muscles are noticeably bigger than my left. My right forearm is more developed than my left.

*feels arse*

Actually, my arse feels pretty even, but inspection of my set of Brooks saddles shows a consistent difference; the right dimple is much bigger and more pronounced than the left.

annie

« Reply #4 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:43:30 pm »
On my saddle there is a dimple on the right, there isn't anything on the left.  I have given up worrying about this as I realise there isn't much I can do but worrying will only make it worse.  Most people have a degree of asymmetry.

« Reply #5 on: 21 April, 2008, 03:57:50 pm »
Get someone to ride behind and beside and carefully watch you pedal. Check if there's any tendency to kick or jerk with one leg, or rock to one side and not the other, and general symmetry. It's good practice anyway to check these things at intervals. However, as others have said, most folk are not perfectly symmetrical (my saddles tell me I'm not). 

Seineseeker

• Biting the cherry of existential delight
    • The Art of Pleisure
« Reply #6 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:02:54 pm »
Have you had any complaints / compliments as a result of it?

I would try and find out what is causing it though. Is it permanent, or does it change if you don't ride for a bit?

annie

« Reply #7 on: 21 April, 2008, 04:19:39 pm »
Get someone to ride behind and beside and carefully watch you pedal. Check if there's any tendency to kick or jerk with one leg, or rock to one side and not the other, and general symmetry. It's good practice anyway to check these things at intervals. However, as others have said, most folk are not perfectly symmetrical (my saddles tell me I'm not). 

I got Rich to ride behind me on the Norfolk Mardle for that very reason, I can't remember his exact reply but there weren't any complaints.

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #8 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:37:04 pm »
I will be more than happy to offer a second opinion.

Thanks in advance.

H

annie

« Reply #9 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:56:25 pm »
I will be more than happy to offer a second opinion.

Thanks in advance.

H

Tomorrow at 11am will be fine. 

Zoidburg

« Reply #10 on: 21 April, 2008, 05:59:58 pm »
My right quad and calf muscles are noticeably bigger than my left. My right forearm is more developed than my left.
Must...resist...urge...to...post...smut.

Maladict

« Reply #11 on: 21 April, 2008, 09:21:06 pm »
Must...resist...urge...to...post...smut.

Why my you resist that urge?