Author Topic: Eat those pasta sauces up.  (Read 3724 times)

Maladict

Eat those pasta sauces up.
« on: 28 April, 2008, 06:52:53 pm »

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/7370759.stm

IIRC lycopene has also been shown to be good for the heart.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
Re: Eat those pasta sauces up.
« Reply #1 on: 28 April, 2008, 08:43:23 pm »
How bizarre - eating tomatoes helps you stop looking like a sun dried tomato.  ;D
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #2 on: 29 April, 2008, 03:26:14 pm »
People who don't end their sentences with prepositions live for longer. Eat up your pasta sauces, don't eat your pasta sauces up. :)

I love the way that despite the studying looking specifically at tomato paste has a dodgy "recommendation" that eating more pizza may help.

"I wanted my skin to be like SPF 20 so I started eating 5 pizzas a day. All that happened is I developed horrendous acne and I'm now morbidly obese."
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

« Reply #3 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:08:33 am »
Pizza?   It's only a foreign name for cheese on toast, why get excited ???

<Wanders down to fridge to neck a tube of Tomato Puree>

« Reply #4 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:31:01 am »
Pizza?   It's only a foreign name for cheese on toast, why get excited ???

Nah, that's Croque Monsieur...  :demon:

A healthier way of getting all that lycopene goodness would be lashings of ratatouille, or just a simple tomato-based sauce with some wholemeal pasta.

Nom nom nom...  :P
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #5 on: 30 April, 2008, 12:50:49 am »
You don't fool me Mr Spesh sir, I have been to France.    A Crock Monsewer has ham in it, a Pizza doesn't.

« Reply #6 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:26:11 am »
Care to explain the ham and mushroom pizza I had the other day, then?   ;)
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

« Reply #7 on: 30 April, 2008, 01:34:57 am »
Brussels.

There's bound to be an EU reg somewhere.

Rapples

« Reply #8 on: 30 April, 2008, 06:30:40 am »

A healthier way of getting all that lycopene goodness would be lashings of ratatouille, or just a simple tomato-based sauce with some wholemeal pasta.

Nom nom nom...  :P

:thumbsup:

Also, I think most of "those" sauces contain lots of Maltodextrin (modified maize starch), worse for you than sugar I'm led to believe. :o

The Loyd Grossman ones seem to be free of it (Pasta sauces only) :'(

Rapples

« Reply #9 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:11:14 am »
I don't think it's the maltodextrin itself that's bad.  It's just it's hidden "sugars" in food.  For an energy drink it's fine, I think it has a higher GI than sugar so great for instant energy ;D

I'd think it's used to cheaply thicken sauces, I'd rather not have it with my pasta.  When I mke my own tomato sauces I never add any sugar, don't see the need :thumbsup:

onb

• Between jobs at present
« Reply #10 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:35:26 am »
Tomatoes are also good for keeping prostate problems at bay.

« Reply #11 on: 30 April, 2008, 09:55:12 am »
When I mke my own tomato sauces I never add any sugar, don't see the need

Well sometimes a little sugar helps - generally because the tomatoes we get in the UK lack the natural sweetness of those grown in sunnier climes, and tend to be quite acid. Generally though I don't add sugar either.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)