Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Arts and Entertainment / Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Last post by ElyDave on Today at 11:00:42 am »
Watched High Rise last night, almost switched it off in the first fifteen mins, but persevered and quite liked it by the end.

Will have a look and see if I can find the book anywhere
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: How to check phishing emails - any website to check?
« Last post by Canardly on Today at 10:57:33 am »
Mailwasher is still around.
112 years in the Football League and it's farewell to Leyton Orient, thanks entirely to their dicknozzle owner.  My grate frend Mr Sheen, an Os fan since forever, is about to commit murder.

Looks like Hartle poo Untied will be joining them.  Desperately sad for my FiL, lifetime.....blah blah blah

Won't be their first time though.  One of Hartlepool's "Honours" is - Most re-elections to the old fourth division.

For younger viewers, in the olden days, the bottom club in the 4th was relegated (one only, in those days), but there was no automatic promotion into the league.  Instead, a vote was held by the football league chairmen on who should be promoted.  Very often, this would be the same club that had supposedly been 'relegated'.1
Old boys networks and brown envelopes stuffed with promises, no doubt.

1 I believe this is how it worked in general.  I haven't actually checked it.
You have to apply your own personal filter when reading, some of the reviews are more than bizarre. A shopping centre in Niš was given five star reviews "I just love this place, spent six hours there…" Ok it's shiney and new, but there's about a dozen shops in there including a pharmacy and a place selling cable tv contracts what the fuck were you doing for six hours?
Those are "normal people".  :-\
Audax / Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Last post by Cudzoziemiec on Today at 10:39:54 am »
On a rather lesser scale, a DIY 200 yesterday with IanN. Route of his devising, which he's christened Bourton on the Rocks. We rode in dinner jackets with discreet shoulder holsters and laser-powered watches that include a jet booster for the hilly bits. Bristol to Malmesbury went quite quickly, where I ate something Ian claimed was healthy and he displayed the shocking pink "wallet" with cartoon characters he mugged his younger daughter for. Then grovelling into a headwind all the way up to Bourton; at least, I was grovelling, Ian didn't seem too bothered by it. Had to stop and do stretches for an ouchy knee but adjusting my saddle angle helped. Bourton was overrun with tourists. Then along some lovely lanes over the Cotswolds to Cirencester.
This was the highest point of the ride, just south of Compton Abdale (I think):

It was supposed to show you the glorious view but the limitations of my phameracone mean you can't really see that. Still, you can admire my bike instead.  :P

From here it was a gentle 20mph freewheel all the way to Ciren.
And here's Ian just hitting that high:

You can just about see the road dropping away in the background.

We managed to find some more lumps our side of Malmesbury; roads I'd never ridden despite being so close.

And the sun shone all day.  8)
112 years in the Football League and it's farewell to Leyton Orient, thanks entirely to their dicknozzle owner.  My grate frend Mr Sheen, an Os fan since forever, is about to commit murder.

Leyton Orient: a club in decline. All you need to know in 4 minutes 50 seconds.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: Fettled any computer stuff today?
« Last post by Afasoas on Today at 10:27:35 am »
I know IPV6 is a Good Thing, but as everything's still working at the moment I don't see a compelling reason to worry about it.

There are certain advantages to using IPv6 - for example being able to route an entire /48 or /64 to my home. If IPv4 disappeared, static IPs would be easier to get hold of and I'd be able to do proper high availability Firewalls.

I would love to get my hands on a couple of statically assigned /29s in the IPv4 range, but that's an unjustifiable undertaking given the costs involved because IPv4 addresses are getting scarce.
Ctrl-Alt-Del / Re: How to check phishing emails - any website to check?
« Last post by Afasoas on Today at 10:22:00 am »
I think what Jaded is suggesting, is that you get the sending mail servers IP address and submit it here:
https://www.spamcop.net/bl.shtml

Thing is, SpamCop deals specifically with unsolicited bulk email senders, not phishing emails per se. You can check a mail server's IP/fully qualified domain name against: https://mxtoolbox.com/blacklists.aspx. That means it's evaluated against over 100 real time block lists, some of which will now doubt including known phishing sources.

The sending mail server's fully qualified domain name/IP address will be available in the email headers. Within the header there will be a line like this:

Code: [Select]
Received: from mail-out.spamhaus.org (mail-out.spamhaus.org
 [82.165.36.226]) (using TLSv1 with cipher ADH-AES256-SHA (256/256 bits))
 (No client certificate requested) by blah.com (Postfix) with
 ESMTPS id 94BC0174073C for <blah@blah.com>; Thu, 24 Dec 2015 14:55:06
 +0000 (GMT)

In this instance, the mail server's fully qualified domain name is mail-out.spamhaus.org and it's IP address is 82.165.36.226. Your email client should let you view the headers/source/raw email. Even Microsoft Live Mail/Outlook365/Gmail let you do this in their webmail clients, although the option is often half hidden away on a 'Other actions' menu, usually accessed by clicking '...' next to the reply/reply all/forward/spam/delete options.

A mail server administrator might use spamcop and other real time block lists to prevent a mail server from accepting email from known spammers/phishers etc.. As an email user, your options are a bit more limited. Some on-line security products include anti-phishing tools that support some mail clients, like Outlook and some will even work with on-line webmail - Avast for example stops me downloading executable files from within Roundcube web mail when I'm using Edge or Explorer. Some research will be needed into the security product to ensure it works in your use case*.

I've italicised the word known because new spam/phishing sources crop up daily in large numbers. There are other tools that analyse email content to determine whether the email is ham or spam, but with some education these are evaded. These tools are implemented by the big email providers and they are also used on lots of mail servers. There are some tools you can get to work with email clients too - I think a classic old school tool is MailWasher - I'm not even sure it's still a thing.

So in summary, you can dig some information out of the email headers and determine whether or not the email in question has come from a known spam source. Or you can install an on-line security product that may or may not do this for you, depending on your actual use case.

*Combination of operating system, mail client/browser/webmail service etc. etc.
Probably, if the weather is good
Anyone for Wednesday or Thursday this week?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10