Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
GPS / Re: New GPS
« Last post by StuAff on Today at 01:46:14 pm »
Bit of a wildcard- as the device, though not the company, is an unknown quantity so far- Hammerhead Karoo which I've just ordered. They're supposed to start shipping next month, though demand means I'll be getting mine some time in the spring, hopefully ($299 plus taxes, £222 all in at current rates, instead of $499 when they're on general sale, sweetens the pill rather a lot). Even at full price, this stacks up very well indeed on paper against the Garmin Edge 1030 (£500!!!), and advance price spanks even the cheaper Edge models. 3.5" touchscreen, which appears from video reviews of prototypes by DCRainmaker and BikeRadar to be much better than the competition, plus full set of physical buttons. Software based on Android 6.0, a battery that's 50% bigger than an Edge 1030 (Garmin claim 20 hour max life, Hammerhead say 15, plus endurance modes in development…hmmm...one's more likely than the other), all the bells and whistles Garmin does but Hammerhead appear to be trying to do beta testing before selling the thing. They put back production to improve the antenna, the extensive blog posts show a lot of work and attention to detail.....fingers crossed!!
https://youtu.be/030_sh-_36A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG178z8mNLM
On The Road / Re: Interesting and Unusual Bikes You've Seen
« Last post by itsbruce on Today at 01:45:43 pm »
Seems Greenway have made a special monster electric MTB for this delivery company:

Audax / Re: Humber Bridge 200 23rd Sept
« Last post by Graeme on Today at 01:36:20 pm »
I've texted all riders who gave me a mobile number. Posted to Facebook and Twitter and here.

I hope everyone finds their way around okay. At least the weather is good.

#OrganiserAnxiety

There was no indication of this when the route was checked - but it seems this closure was planned. 2,000 local residents were written to. Shame I live elsewhere.

... Waits patiently at the Arrivee. #CakeMountain
Audax / Re: Humber Bridge 200 23rd Sept
« Last post by Graeme on Today at 01:32:32 pm »
Important info for anyone on Graeme's Humber Bridge ride; the small bridge over the A161 at Goole is closed, the road diversion is 30 miles, but there is a pedestrian diversion via SOUTH STREET, through the industrial area and across the lock gates at the port onto AIRE STREET. Please pass this on or tag anyone you know of on the ride today!
On The Road / Re: Uber loses London licence
« Last post by Peter on Today at 01:22:34 pm »
Yes, it is, J.  And very good, too.  Thanks.

Peter
The Pub / Re: What have you fettled today?
« Last post by Ham on Today at 01:18:57 pm »
Fettled? My nose.

As to why that curve is curiously similar to the curve of a seat tube? All I will say, no seat tubes were hurt in the making of this post.

<shambles off, wondering if it would be sufficient to win the feckin' div thread for the day>
On The Road / Re: Uber loses London licence
« Last post by Veloman on Today at 01:13:02 pm »
Driver has his say:
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/sep/23/over-uber-london-driver-fares-rivals-work

Very insightful article and particularly the last comment about paying quite a bit of money on an evening out and then expecting to pay very little for a lift back to wherever.

A business model aimed to crush the opponents and then survive as the prime provider of a service will always have to result in savings and it is how you achieve them. Uber appear to be achieving that by some methods that have been exposed as not meeting certain expected standards.
The Knowledge / Re: Padded cycling trousers that are semi respectable
« Last post by Peter on Today at 01:11:09 pm »
Blazing saddles, smoking jackets...... it's all a far cry from cycling with warm nurses and beer on the village green.
Just saw our postie's new-fangled electrical delivery-van go by, on the back of a breakdown truck. Heigh ho.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10