Author Topic: Have you been out today?  (Read 3882486 times)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Have you been out today?
« Reply #21100 on: 24 June, 2017, 01:36:10 pm »
Yes, down to the Metropolitan station to get to our Eurostar. Blood pressure now subsiding somewhat, caused by that useless shower of shit known as Trainline. Vin rouge helps.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #21101 on: 24 June, 2017, 06:28:40 pm »
Lots of Hampshire Downs and ups, starting from Alton.  Have started my caffeine-free period ahead of the Pendle, so struggled a bit, but found a few new roads which cheered me up.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #21102 on: 24 June, 2017, 06:46:21 pm »
'On the first part of the journey
I was looking at all the life
There were plants and birds and rocks and things
There was sand and hills and rings
The first thing I met was a fly with a buzz
And the sky with no clouds
The heat was hot and the ground was dry
But the air was full of sound'

Love that song but the lyrics are mince. But it sums up what it's like where we are at the moment. We're in the Jura and I'm finding it difficult to combine hill walking and cycling in the heat. It's around 28°C up at La Pesse and 32°C in the valleys. Wouldn't be a problem at home I'd just go for a ride on the flat somewhere but around here there's no flat.

Anyway, after slogging our way down and up the Gorge de Flumen on foot I was given a short pass out until tea. On the bike it was a breeze to Embossieux from La Pesse and a twisty descent down to La Bouchoux where I'd spotted a tiny road behind the bar that went in the direction of Desertin. Dammit! 'Route Barre a 3km'. We've all seen that kind of sign before and decided to risk it and I didn't fancy climbing back up the way I'd just come so carried on into a beautiful limestone combe forested with Spruce trees. After crossing the river Tacon the route switchbacked upwards back into the forest. Just before reaching the trees the road was blocked with concrete barriers and a 'Route Barre' sign with the legend 'Pas deneigee' which I took to mean they hadn't had a snowplough up there for a while. Oh well can't imagine there's any snow on the road now so onwards and upwards.
The road was covered in debris from the trees, then a few rockfalls and then a large longitudinal crack but nothing to stop a bike. I was really enjoying myself despite the heat and the gradient, knowing there wouldn't be any traffic coming the other way. And then the problem was revealed; on rounding a sharp bend I could see only ¼ of the road was still there for about twenty yards, the rest of it was down in the combe to my left. Didn't like to think what would have happened if I'd been coming down the other way at 30 mph instead of flogging upwards at 6mph.
Soon afterwards the D25 is reached and it's a 4km climb back to the top of Col de Sur la Semine and our digs.
Only 10 miles but I'm cooked and necking Pelforth Blonde to cool me down.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #21103 on: 24 June, 2017, 10:53:41 pm »
Mrs F wanted to do her first 100k today.
We were in Edinburgh, and had identified an existing Audax 100 route.
So we did this Perth - Forfar loop:

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1816160840

« Reply #21104 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:26:23 pm »
60km out and back on the south downs way to hill a bit beyond Steyning. It was blowy and I felt it by the time I got back, the tea and cake at Truleigh Hill YHA was very welcome.

« Reply #21105 on: 26 June, 2017, 12:26:17 am »
Lovely evening spin with a born again cyclist.  We both used to commute the same route into glasgow, skip a few decades, and now he's getting back on the bike, we met again as our kids are friends and I found out he's really keen now.  So went out a wee spin this evening taking advantage of late sunshine.
Over the Campsies and back some lanes. Chilling with an IPA now.

Saturday was out with a local club on their fast early AM ride, only 5 of us but for a while we had a perfect chaingang going. Really exhilarating flying along the stirling flats. One of my best rides in a long while. Legs were aching after that one.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #21106 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:46:20 am »
Saturday, out into town to the market, but decided to extend the route both out and back.  Ended up doing 24km vs the usual 10-12.  Had the thrill of downhill with fully laden panniers (including 4 cartons of OJ squeezed into one of them) and then almost resorted to the middle ring going back uphill.  Some impressive rear end wobbles over speed bumps as well.  Surprising how much that took out of the blood glucose as despite an egg on toast for breakfast, I still needed a croissant with my coffee on arrival at the market.

That gave me a total of 115km for the week, decent enough with a longest ride of an hour.

Yesterday, got out for 40km on the recumbent, slightly misjudged the route as I was looking for nearer 45 - part of this was due to be taking a different route just to see what was down that way I've never been before. Going well with the 26" wheel in what was tougher conditions than expected.  Not sure if it's fitness, experience, technique, or all three but I seem to be getting better at going uphill on it.

At least three cases of small boy with gaping mouth and goggly eyes and/or "wow that's cool".
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21107 on: 26 June, 2017, 03:28:00 pm »
Lounged around all weekend so didn't get out till well after lunch on Sunday. Meandered out via Tortworth and on up to Wotton-under-Edge, where I discovered a cake sale in the town hall, so I had a cup of tea and a big chunk of fruit cake. Then I had a slice of lemon drizzle cake. And after that I got a top up of tea and a brownie. That set me up nicely for the windy climb out towards Nailsworth and Nimpsfield, but not before a conversation with Impressed Man with Beard, who looked like he had eaten more cake than me every day for the past twenty years. "You're not going all the way up that hill to the golf course, are you?"
"Past the golf course."
"Have you got electric assist?"
"No."
"You're going to stand on the pedals all the way up?"
"I find it easier to stay sitting on a long climb like that."
His flabber was ghasted. In fact that hill is pretty easy, just a steady, even climb, not steep at any point, and seems shorter than the mile and a quarter the sign at the bottom says. But I couldn't go telling him that, could I?

Then along the old railway track, by turns smooth and bumpy, into Stroud, where a short towpath diversion took me to the house of an old friend, who poured Pimm's into me. I like mint! On the way home, I decided to follow the towpath as far as it goes, without falling into this:

until I got to this:

beyond which was a motorway embankment.

Then home through the lanes, admiring the lights on the Severn Bridges and stopping to scoff a Co-op "family size" quiche on a lovely patch of mown roadside grass near Hill.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21108 on: 26 June, 2017, 04:15:11 pm »
Solo 40-odd km. Screwed up feeding/metformin and no oomph. No motivation anyway: I know all the roads round here so well that they're boring and if I'm not training for Audax I don't much see the point. Should've stayed home and enjoyed the day.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21109 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:00:15 pm »
Yesterday, a quick loop from home to the North Downs to check my new chainrings are working properly. Marred slightly by 'nothing' weather.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Jayjay

• Layin' back a bit these days.
« Reply #21110 on: 26 June, 2017, 06:35:28 pm »
60 miles back from the York Rally, weather pretty good, though a bit much ultra violet judging by my reflection in the mirror.
Now that we have mentioned "Horse With No Name"..

Dunnington desert by John Jackson, on Flickr

NCN66 can be a bit squidgy near Dunnington, not so today!

And here is the hill that sets my knees and lungs complaining:

Hill near Londesborough by John Jackson, on Flickr

« Reply #21111 on: 26 June, 2017, 09:52:32 pm »
Sunday, down to Whitstabubble for our annual NCT party on the beach (sixteen years after the little blighters arrived). Nothing remarkable in that as Chris L and I have done that a few times now.

What made Sunday particularly special was that a) it was warm, b) we had a good following breeze, c) the route was picturesque, if a little off-roady at times (Pilgrims' Way featured heavily), d) the route meant very little traffic, but e) and most wonderful of all, was that mini-hatler joined us for the run. His longest ride to date, 80 miles.
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #21112 on: 27 June, 2017, 04:07:38 pm »
Sunday, down to Whitstabubble for our annual NCT party on the beach (sixteen years after the little blighters arrived).

We had our NCT 18th earlier in the year :-)
(Of our group of 6 couples, 3 had tandems. Not many still cycle now sadly)

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #21113 on: 27 June, 2017, 04:19:20 pm »
After the UAF 600 brevet from Gien to St Jean de Maurienne on Sunday/ Monday, today was 98km over the Col du Telegraphe and Col de Galibier to Henri Desgrange's memorial and back. The views were gorgeous but it is amazing how badly I am climbing at the moment. Once it gets over 5% for a significant length of time, I just cook and end up stopping every kilometre for a rest. I drank 5 x 500ml bidons between Valloire and the Galibier summit, about 17km! The optional addition to the Lacets de Montvernier was definitely off the menu. If I feel bursting with energy tomorrow morning, I might take the chance to ride an amazing bit of road but realistically there is Buckley's chance of that happening.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #21114 on: 27 June, 2017, 05:57:28 pm »
From La Pesse with Mrs. JonJo to Les Bouchoux, St. Claude, Gorges de Flumen, Septmoncel (where we paused for a flan), Lajoux, Bellecombe and back to La Pesse. Gorges de Flumen is an upcoming TdF climb so some of it has been resurfaced and it's lovely and smooth. It's also spectacularly beautiful so try not to miss stage seven from Dole to Station des Rousses
Mrs. JonJo was on a hired electric bike which we thought may cancel out the difference in fitness between us on the lumpy bits. However, she could do 15 mph on the steepest uphill bits where I was down to 8 mph and I was doing 40 mph downhill while she was doing 18 mph. Not ideal but she has declared electric bikes 'the future'.
33 miles, lots of down and up - it took us almost 3 hours.
Hear all, see all, say nowt

« Reply #21115 on: 27 June, 2017, 08:37:08 pm »
I hired a "town bike" (on holiday in Germany at the moment, and the bike hire place only had that or a full-sus MTB for twice the price, and I wasn't planning on doing any actual off-roading) and went for a pootle along the coast for a bit, then headed inland. Progress was rather slow: aside from the sunshine bringing out all the other people who wanted to go for a ride too, this thing isn't built for speed...

Only 34 glacially-paced miles, but it felt like more (probably because it took so long, which wasn't helped by me not really having a clue where I was going, so having to stop frequently!).

I've never used a coaster brake before, and it's quite unnerving. I kept stopping with the pedals in the wrong pace, and having to push off with the "wrong" foot - something I never do on my own bikes.

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #21116 on: 27 June, 2017, 09:35:11 pm »
A night time ride starting around 23.30 Sunday from Berneray down the Hebridean island chain to the ferry at Lochboisdale on South Uist. About 54 miles with four causeways to cross, only three moving vehicles encountered in the whole time, four leaping deer, many sheep hunkering down by the stone walls, and one owl. We managed two bus shelter picnics (no 24 hour McDs here!) en route and arrived over two hours early for the 07.00 ferry. Fortunately we found the marina facilities building was open (an advantage of the islands is that trust seems much greater and locking anything, including doors, is relatively rare) and we were able to have a rather uncomfortable doze next to the washing machines!

On arrival at Mallaig mid Monday morning it seemed like summer had been switched on and we had a very enjoyable potter down the old road to Arisaig for lunch and back before stowing the bikes on the train for the 5 hour trip to Glasgow.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #21117 on: 01 July, 2017, 06:57:35 pm »
I borrowed the route of the "Circuit of Kent 40km" sportive (see website) and rode that. Mostly pleasantly undulating although  cafes were thin on the ground.

There are also 80km and 130km options which look proportionately enjoyable / challenging.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #21118 on: 01 July, 2017, 07:27:02 pm »
Kidical-Mass ride in Newcastle today, two rides setting off from different locations and converging in the city center. Jolly good stuff.

IMG_20170701_132820914 by ;D, on Flickr
IMG_20170701_134411678 by ;D, on Flickr

« Reply #21119 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:05:58 am »
Sunday, down to Whitstabubble for our annual NCT party on the beach (sixteen years after the little blighters arrived).

We had our NCT 18th earlier in the year :-)
(Of our group of 6 couples, 3 had tandems. Not many still cycle now sadly)
For our group the cycling bug is slowly catching. It started with two dads but now two of the mums have become regular cyclists. (After sixteen years that's not great progress though is it ?)
Rust never sleeps

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21120 on: 02 July, 2017, 02:23:14 pm »
Satisfying 80+k via favourite coffee hole. Windy: return was 5 kph faster than the out leg.

« Reply #21121 on: 02 July, 2017, 10:11:21 pm »
Another off road ride for me. Up a bit late and taking it easy to start. Rode up behind three others in time to catch them discussing the rate of pay for naked housework. I introduced myself with "I might be a bit tired for housework later". Down the hill from Blackcap and up again on the south downs way. A big group of cows were crowded round the gate and I'd just passed a farmer. So I loitered a moment to take some pictures. Some other riders came through and decided to go through the middle of the cows with a mix of fear and bravado. I didn't join them, but they did mix them up enough to get round without alarm once I'd sorted myself out. Then through Castle Hill on tracks I'd not ridden on for a couple of years, it was warming up, no one else much about, a dragonfly flew beside me for a while. Rejoined the South Downs Way, chatted for a minute to some sponsored hikers. Over the river and railway and up Firle beacon, the festival seen but not heard and then south for a loop on quiet tracks.

This is where the fun become more type 2. On the way back I found myself on a steady uphill, through a field of wheat brushing my legs, long straight lines, humid, not much breeze, getting tired. Off the downs, lumpy then grassy and onto lanes. Looping round Arlington reservoir but not by the water. An ice cream helped, but then more slow grass and humid woodland. Someone resting / taking in the view leaning against a gate. Riding behind the tractor mowing the long grass. Then through a corn field. I think they may have been told to sort the rights of way out recently as there was a line cut through the corn, just off the ground. The path perpendicular to the ploughing ridges, which was slow and tiring, with no view through the corn. At the end the gate was so overgrown it wouldn't open. I found another, but at that point my sense of humour had failed. Rather than taking the route I'd planned, which involved more fields and woodland on a hot and humid afternoon, I took the easier and marginally shorter lanes home.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #21122 on: 04 July, 2017, 05:07:17 pm »
I don't think I've seen a dragonfly this year.  :( So lucky you!  :) I guess it's been too dry for them to do well.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #21123 on: 06 July, 2017, 03:35:50 pm »
Out at 06:15 for 100-odd k via aforesaid coffee hole.  14°C at start, 30° at end.  Wondrous cool morning air overlaid with the reek of pigshit, cowshit, henshit & sundry udder bucolic delicacies. Return through forest much more pleasant.  Fun ride, all in all. Decent average speed, buggered by street market 15k from home, bloke driving tractor & towing 2 horses with traffic coming t'other way, school bus crawling behind stop/go roadworks team putting up signs.

« Reply #21124 on: 06 July, 2017, 10:07:50 pm »
Wing to oakham and back in lovely sunshine :-)
the slower you go the more you see