Author Topic: WessexSR2017  (Read 2958 times)

Re: WessexSR2017
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2017, 10:43:20 pm »
This might be the wrong place to ask, but can the Hellfire be done as a DIY by GPS? It's the same as the Brimstone 600k, right, which has GPX files provided?
Nope - it's not the same. There are specific route sheet and gpx files for it.

Why do it as GPS DIY when Shawn can provide a thoroughly well thought-out perm route sheet and gpx files ? And not forgetting the magnificent brevet card itself of course !

Ah, well I'd consider either of them if they're different.

I don't use route sheets so I'm not sure what the difference is between a Perm vs. DIY by GPS other than having to stop for receipts, which I'd prefer not to have to do when not necessary.

Why not do your own route instead then ?

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2017, 11:03:14 pm »
Because i like riding, not mapping and this route already exists.

I mean, is there something wrong with doing it by GPS instead of routesheets? Why have DIY by GPS then?

« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2017, 11:42:39 pm »
Because i like riding, not mapping and this route already exists.

I mean, is there something wrong with doing it by GPS instead of routesheets? Why have DIY by GPS then?

DIY means 'do it yourself' - which you wouldn't really be doing, would you ?

This discussion has been played out many times on this forum. The gist of it is: if there's a perm you want to ride, you buy a brevet from the org and follow their route sheet or gpx files, getting whatever proof of passage they request. If you want to make your own ride up using DIY by GPS, you contact the relevant area org and submit relevant files to them.

What you're suggesting is taking an existing perm and passing it off as a DIY by GPS. If you believe that using someone else's work, local knowledge and experience in this way is ok, that's your choice.

What I'm saying is, Shawn's done all the hard work for you - why not just show some gratitude for all that work and get an ATM receipt every so often ?  Is it really too much to ask ?

« Reply #53 on: April 21, 2017, 09:06:53 am »
One thing I thought of this morning is that DIY money goes... where? whereas the Perm money goes to the actual route 'owner' so there's that fact I didn't consider.

I guess I was looking at it from a different angle - if the route is available I could just ride it outside of any AUK rules by myself with no issues, no knowledge of anyone, etc. Job done.

I thought I was doing the right thing by entering as DIYs so that AUK was getting the money for someone's mapping work.

I see your point about if the Perm exists I should ride that and that's what I've done in the past but in recent cases I've been using rides as training for TransAm so trying to minimise stop time and receipt collection makes this tricky. I guess I like the paperless DIYbyGPS thing because it's less hassle so I can do it last minute and it's more about the riding less about the paperwork but I'm was probably not approaching this from the POV of a typical audaxer. I'll have a look at the Perm.

Oh, how come rides like Crackpot aren't listed as Perms?

andyp

• Andrew Preston
« Reply #54 on: April 21, 2017, 10:29:48 am »
I see your point about if the Perm exists I should ride that and that's what I've done in the past but in recent cases I've been using rides as training for TransAm so trying to minimise stop time and receipt collection makes this tricky. I guess I like the paperless DIYbyGPS thing because it's less hassle so I can do it last minute and it's more about the riding less about the paperwork but I'm was probably not approaching this from the POV of a typical audaxer. I'll have a look at the Perm.

Hi,
Have a chat with Shawn, if you fill in the times on the card, he might accept time-stamped photos taken on the fly of the controls as the evidence.

Regarding the crackpot, there's an admin overhead for organisers listing a ride as a perm producing brevet cards validating etc., I guess Shawn hasn't done it because until a few years ago virtually no one would have entered, and now he's too busy organising the calendar events ....and it is a monster with a lot of controls.  He's been very supportive of helping people doing it the DIY way, because it doesn't exist as a perm.

If you enter the Hellfire perm, I've got GPX tracks for it if you PM your email address I can send them over. It's a great route.
Andrew

« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2017, 11:37:05 am »
One thing I thought of this morning is that DIY money goes... where? whereas the Perm money goes to the actual route 'owner' so there's that fact I didn't consider.

I guess I was looking at it from a different angle - if the route is available I could just ride it outside of any AUK rules by myself with no issues, no knowledge of anyone, etc. Job done.

I thought I was doing the right thing by entering as DIYs so that AUK was getting the money for someone's mapping work.

Of course you could just ride it without any AUK involvement, but this forum is probably not the place to ask about doing this :-) The point I think you are missing is that AUK is a pretty devolved organistion - the money goes to the individual organiser, whether calendar, perm or DIY, and only a small amount (20p AFAIK) to AUK for validation.

I think what would be acceptable, but others may disagree, would be to get the perm from Shawn and then ride it as a DIY, but you are in effect paying twice then.

As a side note, it is slightly frustrating as an organiser when people do your ride but don't submit their card for validation, even if they completed it, as it makes the event look less popular than it really was.

Probably because there hasn't been the demand until recently, and it's a far bit of work setting up a perm as you have to ensure that you can get PoPs enroute which isn't that easy with a ride of this nature.
“That slope may look insignificant, but it's going to be my destiny" - Fitzcarraldo

« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2017, 11:43:22 am »

There is a group Crackpot soon (see separate thread). That would be great TransAm training (maybe). It's a group DIY by GPS based on an old calendar ride. Village halls are booked ... you could get proper sleep or two on the way. Worth a thought ?

There's also the Wu'ze (see upthread). It's an old one-off 400k calendar ride, not offered as a perm. No receipts required, just a route, track and an area org to validate it - if you want AUK points.

There are plenty of rides out there that have fallen by the wayside over time and are no longer offered as perms. Searching ridewithgps will possibly uncover plenty of gems, but it'd be worth checking the route for mistakes and unexpected off-road excursions. That's another aspect of signing up for a perm: the route's all checked out beforehand and any issues will be reported back to the org who can then make any necessary changes.

What are you doing for food & fluids on these rides btw - if you don't want to stop for receipts ?  And I assume you're planning a route for the TransAm ? How are you doing that ?

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2017, 09:52:53 pm »
I'm getting a broken link for the Porkers GPS files off the Wessex website ... is this the normal access point for the files or are they mailed out (I can't remember what happened for the hardboiled)

cgg

« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2017, 08:49:38 am »
I got mine from there: http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Porkers2017.html. Seems to be working right now!

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #59 on: April 24, 2017, 09:26:57 am »
I got mine from there: http://www.wessexsr.talktalk.net/Porkers2017.html. Seems to be working right now!

Yes, working now :thumbsup:, (does seem to be a bit glitchy, I had a failed download and it didn't like being copied and moved around, suspect that the problem is my end) all good now ... thanks

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #60 on: April 25, 2017, 11:54:10 pm »
Heading down from ooop north for the Porkers.  Not being familiar with Poole, the information simply says the start is at the ferry terminal.  Looking at the map (and street view) the dock area seems pretty big.  Does anyone have a more precise location (post code, street name, grid reference etc) for the start.  Also, what about parking ??  Is this at the ferry terminal ?  I would have thought parking at the docks would have been for ferry customers and not for mad cyclists.

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Cheers

« Reply #61 on: April 26, 2017, 08:07:13 am »
On Google maps, look for New Harbour Road South, Condor Ferries, Brittany Ferries Freight etc. - that's the area where folk have congregated in the past. Shawn has previously handed out the brevets just off the roundabout at the top of that loop.

Co-ordinates : 50.709625, -1.993254

There's a long stay car park there too. Can be pricey if you go over 24 hours ...

Smeth

• less Grimpeur than Whimpeur...
« Reply #62 on: April 26, 2017, 09:21:57 am »

Anyone doing Porkers and Crackpot DIY you'll be passing near the Crackpot final sleep stop (Okeford Village Hall) at about Porkers km 277 sometime early on Monday am. See this - The hall is pinned. 

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/20610179

By the way - There's plenty of room for more riders on the group - Hippy, you and I have talked about it before. Best shot at the ride is coming up with a chance not having to sleep in a hedge! See seperate topic.

See you Sunday at the Ferry terminal;)

« Reply #63 on: April 27, 2017, 08:00:47 am »
My parking recommendation is on the street next to Hamworthy Park

Re parking, the above was one option given for the Hard Boiled. That area is close to the finish, so pretty convenient and free.

« Reply #64 on: April 28, 2017, 06:58:50 am »
The weather forecast for Porkers has been varying from various wind and rain related extremes through this week. Currently it is looking quite ok ... a bit of rain until Portland, and a southerly wind turning SW/W later. Not too cold and not too warm.

http://weatherbagel.com/f/7e03e390-8b62-45f0-b933-672a97fe3908