Author Topic: New Brommie Owner - replacing wheels and hubs  (Read 1658 times)

New Brommie Owner - replacing wheels and hubs
« on: 12 December, 2016, 07:44:13 pm »
Hi there,

First post and thanks in advance for any advice or guidance.

I’m the proud new owner of a Brommie, a 2016 SL3 which I bought from a friend moving back to Manchester who didn't want it any more.

I’ve had the bike a few weeks and I'm enjoying it greatly but I’m already thinking about some upgrades for 2017 – a simple one first to swap over to ERGON grips and then the more complicated process of upgrading the wheels.

My questions are:

1. Which of the ERGON grips would work best, either the Biokork GP3 or the GP2’s? Impacting on the fold is the main concern.

2. The next question is replacing the wheels. Rather than de-lacing the wheels and getting new ones built on the existing hubs I was contemplating buying all the components from scratch and getting a wheel built and selling the existing wheels.

The VELOCITY AEROHEAT rims look great and I was going to match them with black Sapims spokes. It's the hubs I'm a little at sea with.

I’ve found this 3-speed rear hub advertised on EBAY but I don’t have enough Brommie knowledge to know if it would work with my current derailleur or if it’s a decent brand.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/On-Sale-Sturmey-Archer-S-RF3-3-speed-rear-hub-kit-110mm-OLD-Brompton-Black-/252623236014?hash=item3ad184abae:g:DeAAAOSwA3dYHtPN

I have no working understanding of the complexity of replacing Brommie wheels so where to start looking for information on the hubs (front and rear) gratefully received.

Finally I'm going to fit some Tannus tyres to replace the standard issue ones and make it more urban friendly.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: New Brommie Owner - replacing wheels and hubs
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:30:07 pm »
GP2 barends fit with no position restrictions. The GP3 barends probably would fit on your S-type but we've not tried them on either of our Bromptons (S and M).

Double check whether there is enough room for your brake and gear levers and the Ergon grips. I had to cut down the length of HK's grips on her S-type to get everything to fit.

That link is for the standard rear hub for 3 speed Bromptons, though most stock hubs are silver.

You can get Phil Wood front hubs for Bromptons, not cheap though.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Re: New Brommie Owner - replacing wheels and hubs
« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:38:22 pm »
Thanks LWaB,

Good to know that the hub that I linked is okay for my purposes.

I'll go for black since I have a white frame SL3 and want to keep it as monochrome as possible. I have a little used black Ti Brooks Swift saddle that I'm going to take off my road bike.

S