Author Topic: [LEL17] Volunteers: Who is in?  (Read 33261 times)

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
Re: Volunteers: Who is in?
« Reply #25 on: 08 January, 2017, 08:35:01 pm »
Many volunteers perhaps endure LEL at least as much as some riders - volunteering certainly isn't easy, but as I look back I just remember the joy at being able to say hello to hundreds of fellow audax riders and assist them in their endeavour. Perhaps that was the extrovert in me. I wonder what it will be like the other way round... Will riding be as much fun? Will I be as bouncy and joyous arriving at the controls as I was greeting riders in 2013. I'm looking forward to a new perspective on this event - and deeply grateful to anyone who volunteers so that we riders can have the best chance of making it over the finish line.

Audax should not be a journey to the Arrivee with the intention of arriving with bundles of spare energy and in fresh lycra, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” (Hunter 'Randonneur' Thompson)
Could you please keep the noise down at our control? Super, thanks.

(and say hello when you get to St Ives :) )

Sotto voce: 'yaaaaaay!'

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #26 on: 08 January, 2017, 09:30:40 pm »
Many volunteers perhaps endure LEL at least as much as some riders - volunteering certainly isn't easy, but as I look back I just remember the joy at being able to say hello to hundreds of fellow audax riders and assist them in their endeavour. 

I volunteered at Gt Easton last time and had a thoroughly enjoyable, if exhausting, few days.  The majority of riders were polite and appreciative of our help (we won't mention the infamous Germans on a tandem).

At the times that we were able to offer it (i.e. had enough volunteers on hand) our "bidon valet service" went down very well. There were times when I thought: I wish I was riding, but the experience of helping so many people achieve their goals was well worth it.  For the same reason, I'm considering volunteering at PBP next time.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #27 on: 08 January, 2017, 09:34:25 pm »
I'll be at Brampton. Looking forward to it a lot. Also hoping I'll be able to draw on the experience for riding longer rides in the future.

Sabine

• In France
« Reply #28 on: 08 January, 2017, 09:37:51 pm »
I will be at Thirsk for the duration, whilst OH is cycling. :)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #29 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:00:34 pm »
(we won't mention the infamous Germans on a tandem).

WOW .. that brings back memories .. any one know if they were married or partners at that time .. and does the relationship still exist.. I wonder if we could get them back .. as a classic comedy ( but that is not really the right word)  turn to be enjoyed by all.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #30 on: 08 January, 2017, 11:04:48 pm »
I'll be at Brampton. Looking forward to it a lot. Also hoping I'll be able to draw on the experience for riding longer rides in the future.

Say hello :)

Volunteering at LEL opens your eyes, after working at Brampton in 2013 I went away and did my first SR series and became an organiser. :)

« Reply #31 on: 09 January, 2017, 05:36:05 am »
At the times that we were able to offer it (i.e. had enough volunteers on hand) our "bidon valet service" went down very well.

I clearly remember this, and it was really appreciated on that very hot day. I was probably too knackered to say "thank you" properly  at that moment, but if it's not too late after 4 years: thank you!

« Reply #32 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:36:50 pm »
Volunteering at the start on Fri / Sat. Then riding the event.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #33 on: 09 January, 2017, 12:48:34 pm »

WOW .. that brings back memories .. any one know if they were married or partners at that time .. and does the relationship still exist..
Yes, _I_ know. ;)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #34 on: 09 January, 2017, 01:03:08 pm »

WOW .. that brings back memories .. any one know if they were married or partners at that time .. and does the relationship still exist..
Yes, _I_ know. ;)

So do I.

I believe Bernd is intending to ride LEL with a different stoker this year. I stoked that very same tandem briefly last year, but it won't be me on LEL.
et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

alfapete

• Oh dear
« Reply #35 on: 09 January, 2017, 07:31:46 pm »
The whole alfapete clan (5 in total) are at the new, revised and shiny Barnard Castle for the duration and are really looking forward to it.
alfapete - that's the Pete that drives the Alfa

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #36 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:15:39 pm »
The orange tandem crew have been assigned to Brampton control - so looks like we will be joining a few of you... As I recall from 2013 Brampton had its own literal interpretation of "bag drop" so we may have start to practise our throwing.

« Reply #37 on: 09 January, 2017, 09:22:24 pm »
The orange tandem crew have been assigned to Brampton control - so looks like we will be joining a few of you... As I recall from 2013 Brampton had its own literal interpretation of "bag drop" so we may have start to practise our throwing.

Form a chain when loading them up just like in the good old films!

And yes, the return can literally be a 'bag drop'.

« Reply #38 on: 10 January, 2017, 09:57:32 am »
I rode 2013 and thought the volunteers did a fantastic job of putting up with tired riders who had very little clue as to where they were.

Once I'd got home from 2013 I was already 99% sure I wouldn't be riding this year so hatched a plan to volunteer at Pocklington (where I got to on the first day of 2013) so that I could ride up to the control. I'm then hoping to tag along with the tail end of the ride back to London.

*I'm now having a few doubts about my fitness levels for getting to Pocklington and may try to switch to somewhere further south.

Bairn Again

« Reply #39 on: 10 January, 2017, 10:43:02 am »
Just volunteered to help at Edinburgh and to do a route check ride of the northernmost 400km in April

« Reply #40 on: 10 January, 2017, 02:00:53 pm »
I've put my "I want to ride again" daemons to bed, and I'm signed up to volunteer at St Ives for the first weekend

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #41 on: 10 January, 2017, 05:18:18 pm »
I'm going to Spalding, probably because of all my experience of flat countryside.
And Mrs Wunja has just signed up too. :)

ETA. She did chuckle at the prospect of getting a guaranteed entry for 2021!
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #42 on: 17 January, 2017, 09:21:58 am »
Volunteered for the week as I've recently semi retired from my business. ::-)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #43 on: 18 January, 2017, 10:23:01 am »
Volunteers are awesome!

Indeed. I was umming and ahhing about whether or not to forgo the ride this time and volunteer instead, but I've just paid my entry fee so I shall pledge to volunteer next time instead.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #44 on: 19 January, 2017, 09:26:19 pm »
As an echo to the "who is in" thread for riders, I think a similar thread will make volunteers feel like they are already well into the event, so here we go!  Who is in, and possibly where?

The two of us are in for Barnard Castle.

I enjoyed briefly meeting you on the 2013 edition.

Will look forward to seeing you again in Barnard Castle  :thumbsup:

H

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #45 on: 19 January, 2017, 10:53:12 pm »
I've decided not to ride, so I'll be at a control for the duration. Currently I'm down for Thirsk apparently, though I've also had a lovely email from the Barnard Castle controller. :)
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #46 on: 20 January, 2017, 10:45:16 pm »
Apologies - I was intending to volunteer, BC or Alston, but it clashes with a pretty small window for a family holiday.  Normally we would wait till after LEL, but this year we've got to be back for our son's A level results.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #47 on: 21 January, 2017, 08:32:19 pm »
now I'm definitely not riding, (although I'm probably going to ride the St Ives North leg as a one-off at some point for fun) I'm pondering volunteering at St Ives, as it's only just down the road after all. 

What's the usual/expected stint?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #48 on: 21 January, 2017, 08:55:18 pm »
well .. given the size of the ride .. we felt that telling a volunteer .. your job for the next 12 hours is keeping the gents Loo clean was not going to be  a winner. The price has gone up .. to allow us to hire professional cleaning at controls , and professional chefs ( usually) .. volunteer tasks can be very varied .. route guidance into the control , and to the bike parking area .. maybe keeping the water bottle water supply filled.. maybe logging riders in , clearing the dining area tables .. sorting out the bag drop kit when it arrives before the riders do .. keeping it under control and in order when they leave. Helping the sore tired and weary. Looking after the bed booking times and getting riders up when they want to be called   Handling bizarre questions . being cheerful . Most volunteer help is on a face to face basis with the riders .. so they see you . appreciate what you are doing and greet you if they know you. All help is appreciated ..  a full stint is best but even  half a day can help if a control is thinly staffed.. BUT it is a bummer if you say i will come on xxxx .. the controller plans to have you there .. and then you do not turn up.

tasks are almost infinite .. but this is a flavour.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #49 on: 21 January, 2017, 09:14:20 pm »
Thanks FB, not so much what, that's all good, more a case of how long a pass do I need to negotiate?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens