Author Topic: Please recommend some decent winter shoe covers  (Read 1139 times)

Please recommend some decent winter shoe covers
« on: January 16, 2017, 03:44:32 pm »
Afternoon

I have a couple of pairs of boot covers which I occasionally use but not great. I have a pair of Planet X neoprene boot covers which do keep my feet warm but if it rains they soak up water and in turn my shoes and feet get very wet and then very cold. Also have a pair of Carradice Duxback shoe covers. They do keep my feet dry but no very warm. Also the most ill fitting piece of kit I have ever seen. They are not elasticated or fitted so look like a pair of ankle length wellies and have to use ankle straps so they fit. (not a good look).
What I'm after are a set of shoe covers which keep my feet warm AND dry in the worst weather. Also would be handy if I could use them off road and easy to clean if they get muddy. Any suggestions?

Oh yeah. I use standard spd's if that makes any difference.

huggy

• ACME GCFO
Re: Please recommend some decent winter shoe covers
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2017, 05:19:09 pm »
I'm about to order these, again - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-neoprene-nylon-overshoe/
I say again because I have worn out the left one after about 3 years of more than occasional winter use, nothing wrong with the right one, probably due to me putting my left foot down at junctions.  When they need cleaning I just throw them in the washing machine with my other cycling kit, no problems there with them coming out looking almost new again.
I wore them all day yesterday on the Kelvedon Oyster Helpers' ride, you know the day - it rained all day with every grade of rain possible.  On returning home my Marino socks were a little damp (no sarcasm there, really were only a little damp) and feet still okay and certainly not blocks of ice.  The slight dampness could have been due to ingress from below, general permutation through or sweatiness which I would get wearing even the most 'breathable' garments.  Being neoprene they tend to waterlog but don't really allow lots of water through, generating a thermal layer similar to a wetsuit.
So, my recommendation comes form the fact that I am ordering them again and not really considering anything else.  I can bring the existing ones along to the Wetherspoons LEL pubinar on Wednesday if you would like to take a look.
mid-Essex beer & bikes videographer and occasional publisher of events

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 05:29:47 pm »
I've had good experience with the Endura Road Overshoe, which is neopriene with an aramid base. Minimal signs of wear after about sixty uses over 2.5 winters and they certainly do well at being warm and dry. They fit tightly with a good seal at the ankle, at least on my ankles, which are probably on the slim side of normal.
Eddington number(km): 102

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2017, 10:50:38 am »
I have the Endura MT500 which look to be pretty good. I've worn them for just this year though, so no real picture of long-term durability, but they do a good job of keeping the water out.

tippers_kiwi

• Audax, what's that then? Oh!
    • The Road beyond PBP 2015
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2017, 02:08:57 pm »
I had a pair of rubbery type ones that kept the rain out well but did bugger all for warmth and I had a pair of neoprene ones that I had similar experiences with to you.

I gave up and bought a pair of Northwave Goretex boots and it was the best money I ever spent. I now have a pair for SPD SL and a pair of SPD ones. The SPD SL are the Arctic with the Fleece inside while the SPD are just the plain ones. With Merino socks on both are warm enough on cold days for me to be comfortable, I've never not felt the cold when it is around 0 but it is easily bearable with these on.

I would add that the Neoprene cuff seems to let water in so if I expect it to rain heavily while I am out I take the rubbery overshoes mentioned above and pop them over the top which takes care of that issue. The first time the got 'flooded' I had a load of water sloshing around inside them which actually got warm. It's not a particularly nice feeling though and it took about a week to dry them out!

I know that's not much help when you ask about overshoes but I was looking for overshoes when I bought that first pair of boots so thought I might as well say it.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2017, 12:12:51 pm »
Cheers chaps

Will probably go for a set of shoe covers as bought a nice pair of Giro shoes last year although Tippers has now got me looking at winter booties!

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 02:09:57 pm »
I can second Tippers vote for the Northwave commuter boots as I too have these with the fleece inner lining  :thumbsup: never have a problem with cold feet or water ingress whenever I have worn them and as they are luminous yellow they help you be seen as well  ;D 

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2017, 05:06:27 pm »
I'm about to order these, again - http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-neoprene-nylon-overshoe/
--edit --
So, my recommendation comes form the fact that I am ordering them again and not really considering anything else.  I can bring the existing ones along to the Wetherspoons LEL pubinar on Wednesday if you would like to take a look.

+1 on these - I bought the toe warmer version last Autumn and was a bit apprehensive about the quality and how they would stay on before I got them - both fears allayed, they are excellent. So I then bought the full version and agree with all of huggy's comments. The XL size fits over my Shimano size 48 shoes without a problem - the overshoes have stretched just a tad and they slip on nicely now. I've used plain overshoes in the past but my feet have never been warm and shoes end up damp from condensation - in these my feet are glowing warm and shoes are dry at the end of a ride. In fairness I've not been out in heavy rain in them so can't comment on that, but for £20 - fantastic value. Likewise the toe warmers at £10 - I doubt there is anything better out there.