Author Topic: [LEL17] Navigation and GPS Unit  (Read 13037 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: Navigation and GPS Unit
« Reply #25 on: 03 May, 2017, 03:36:04 pm »
Speaking as a 2013/2017 control staff member, I should remind you that with hundreds of riders using the controls, mains power sockets may not be available when you really need one.

[Also - speaking as a scatter-brained rider, and newbie GPS user - isn't this recharging* malarkey one more thing to remember when tired? I have enough trouble remembering my brevet card and bottles!

*whether from mains or battery-packs. ]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #26 on: 03 May, 2017, 08:57:43 pm »
Speaking as a 2013/2017 control staff member, I should remind you that with hundreds of riders using the controls, mains power sockets may not be available when you really need one.

Aha! I has that one sussed. Two battery chargers and hotels booked at Edinburgh and Pocklington  :smug:

(But, yes, I remember at the Gt Easton control last time round we didn't have a lot of spare power sockets and there was some competition for the ones that were available.)
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #27 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:46:18 am »
Oi - don't go suggesting to everyone that they book into hotels; that would leave the controls awfully quiet at night, save us loads of work, and make bed allocation boringly easy!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Redlight

« Reply #28 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:51:36 am »
Oi - don't go suggesting to everyone that they book into hotels; that would leave the controls awfully quiet at night, save us loads of work, and make bed allocation boringly easy!

It's not the beds I'm attracted by, it's the prospect of a long hot, non-communal, shower. I remember the rugby club in 2009!  :)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #29 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:02:51 am »
Come on ..a very rare and special occasion because   ... there are few occasions when you have just one shower room , used normally by the rugby team just off the pitch .. now being used by both male and female riders. simultaneously.. very distinctive memory of that story .. although I did not see it myself .. 
Swedish saunas .. similar .. but UK audax rides .. unique experience surely.

Maybe not an ideal one to repeat .. and this years planning should avoid that completely.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #30 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:45:09 pm »
It's not the beds I'm attracted by, it's the prospect of a long hot, non-communal, shower.   

Only for those that ride fast enough...
Me, I'll have to make do with the short version in the controls. If I have to commune with rugby players - so be it.

Redlight

« Reply #31 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:39:53 pm »
If I have to commune with rugby players - so be it.

It's not rugby players you have to watch for, it's very uninhibited and robustly built female German riders  :-X

« Reply #32 on: 06 May, 2017, 12:09:00 am »
staying more or less in one unfortunate place, rather than riding around.
That neatly describes much of my audax experience...

Phil W

« Reply #33 on: 06 May, 2017, 08:19:57 am »

It's not rugby players you have to watch for, it's very uninhibited and robustly built female German riders  :-X

Ah Gabrielle bless her, she's back for 2017

« Reply #34 on: 06 May, 2017, 04:49:52 pm »

Ah Gabrielle bless her, she's back for 2017

So which control is this? Asking for a friend...

« Reply #35 on: 20 June, 2017, 01:09:12 pm »
Hi , Purchased GARMIN ETREX 30X on advice on the thread, but now can somebody guide how to load UK Map .

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #36 on: 20 June, 2017, 01:59:59 pm »
I used the info from here to set up Etrex

http://www.aukadia.net/gps/
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #37 on: 20 June, 2017, 02:05:56 pm »
Hi , Purchased GARMIN ETREX 30X on advice on the thread, but now can somebody guide how to load UK Map .

I have recently done this.  I've had a Garmin eTrex for years but I recently updated the map.  Instructions are on my other PC at home, I will supply them asap.  It's not difficult

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #38 on: 21 June, 2017, 11:24:41 pm »
For Etrex maps, this is probably the easiest option: http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/
Pick UK from the dropdown menu, then click the link to download the map. Choose the "gmapsupp" version, then you just have to unzip it, and copy it onto the Etrex.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #39 on: 24 June, 2017, 04:59:14 pm »
as furan said in outline the process is

go to http://garmin.openstreetmap.nl/

wait for the "request your map" picture of the world to load

click on "predefined country europe" for the United Kingdom

The UK shows up on the map kind of high lighted

Click on "Download your map now" - this takes approx 2h during the day at the weekend.  Probably faster at night

unzip the file and copy to your Garmin SD Card.  Copy alone took me 20m on USB cable connected to Garmin