Author Topic: Rhône valley in June - beware the Mistral?  (Read 1553 times)

JStone

• E=112
Rhône valley in June - beware the Mistral?
« on: 11 February, 2017, 10:36:55 pm »
Contemplating a trip along the Rhône valley in late June, either starting or finishing in Marseille. Any views / recent experience on the best direction (ie North > South or vv)? I believe that the Mistral is most common in the winter and spring, when north > south would be advised. Is it as fearsome in June?
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: Rhône valley in June - beware the Mistral?
« Reply #1 on: 11 February, 2017, 10:39:40 pm »
Mrs. Wow and I spent a little over a week in Manas, a picturesque village in Drôme-Provençal, a couple of years ago. We had pretty much non-stop sunshine but on two of the days the wind was too strong for us to contemplate cycling. That was late may/early June.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #2 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:33:26 am »
We rode from Lyon* all the way to the Med in 2008, using the fantastic Rhone Cycleway for most of it - a tarmac cycle path and quiet roads.

That was in September we had the north wind with us (can't remember what it's called ... "Tram ... " something?) for a couple of days. We were averaging almost 19mph wind-assisted on steel tourers with panniers ... although it was pan-flat other than the odd bridge over a lock!

Having been in the S of France many times in June there's no real pattern to the Mistral ... later in the month seems less likely.  IIRC it usually lasts no more than 2 days.

As for direction, I would suggest north-south as being better . . with the finish at the glittering Mediterranean Sea.

Rob

* Having started at Calais - there's a Journal about it at  www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk  [and, shameless plug, a book that we wrote is on sale : Wine-ding Down Through France   The ride was inspired by Edward Enfield's book, Downhill All The Way]

JStone

• E=112
« Reply #3 on: 12 February, 2017, 09:55:07 am »
Thanks both ^ - useful info. I rode the Rhône cycle way from Lyon to Geneva last July, and Manas is on my planned route this time.
Néophyte > 2007 > Ancien > 2011 > Récidiviste

« Reply #4 on: 12 February, 2017, 03:42:42 pm »

That was in September we had the north wind with us (can't remember what it's called ... "Tram ... " something?)...

Tramontane

Move Faster and Bake Things

Charlie Boy

• Dreams in kilometers
« Reply #5 on: 12 February, 2017, 10:03:37 pm »
It's certainly worst in Spring and autumn. Late June you should be fine, but go north to south to be sure.
Mojo is being awakened.