Author Topic: Eat your veg!  (Read 9774 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Eat your veg!
« Reply #50 on: 27 February, 2017, 03:43:58 pm »
I started to shun green veg and other unpleasant food at about 2.5.  I reckon it's a simple developmental thing, in that you become old enough to know what's nasty taste/texture-wise and how to avoid it (rather than indiscriminately putting things in your mouth and swallowing whatever stays there long enough, as babies do).  It certainly wasn't a learned behaviour, as the rest of my family were all happy to eat all sorts of things, and I didn't really have any exposure to anyone else (certainly not in a food context) until I started school aged 5 - by which point attempts to make me eat Not Food would ultimately be futile[1]. *shrug*

[1] I was, as a rule, quite happy to starve until such a time as Food was available.  But parents and other adults had Ideas and delicate egos, which meant that all sorts of tactics - some of which I'd consider to be abusive - were attempted on a regular basis.  With hindsight, I'd suggest that eating disorders are far more harmful than a lack of vegetables[2], and if you're force-feeding your child with things that make them vomit, you're probably doing it wrong.
[2] Like most supertasters, I eschew fatty foods, carbonated drinks and alcohol, so it's a bit swings-and-roundabouts in health terms.

I vaguely recall a magazine article about supertasters, which said most female supertasters avoid fat but most male supertasters seek it out. Some Sunday supplement thing. Only a magazine, only vaguely recalled.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #51 on: 27 February, 2017, 05:53:26 pm »
I started to shun green veg and other unpleasant food at about 2.5.  I reckon it's a simple developmental thing, in that you become old enough to know what's nasty taste/texture-wise and how to avoid it (rather than indiscriminately putting things in your mouth and swallowing whatever stays there long enough, as babies do).  It certainly wasn't a learned behaviour, as the rest of my family were all happy to eat all sorts of things, and I didn't really have any exposure to anyone else (certainly not in a food context) until I started school aged 5 - by which point attempts to make me eat Not Food would ultimately be futile[1]. *shrug*

[1] I was, as a rule, quite happy to starve until such a time as Food was available.  But parents and other adults had Ideas and delicate egos, which meant that all sorts of tactics - some of which I'd consider to be abusive - were attempted on a regular basis.  With hindsight, I'd suggest that eating disorders are far more harmful than a lack of vegetables[2], and if you're force-feeding your child with things that make them vomit, you're probably doing it wrong.
[2] Like most supertasters, I eschew fatty foods, carbonated drinks and alcohol, so it's a bit swings-and-roundabouts in health terms.

I vaguely recall a magazine article about supertasters, which said most female supertasters avoid fat but most male supertasters seek it out. Some Sunday supplement thing. Only a magazine, only vaguely recalled.

Interesting stuff. I had a reasonably good palate for wine when I was younger and better practiced. Now I seek out all food, but do like fat as well as bread and potatoes. Mrs S also has a discriminate palate and avoids fat by preference.

ian

« Reply #52 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:16:49 pm »
I can't eat fat, it's boak territory. The texture is eeky. I can't even do full fat milk, that oily sludge on top. Just the texture of it.

But that said, I remain convinced that food fads are mostly learned behaviour, even if indirectly through the eat-your-greens and no-mum-I'm-not. My wife has a big list of things she won't eat which includes foods that are red, drinks that are warm, etc. Then she has the cheek to, as we peruse a restaurant menu, ask me 'if there's anything I'll eat on there.'

« Reply #53 on: 27 February, 2017, 06:47:27 pm »
When you put it like that it just makes me realize that I pretty well like everything and my big trouble is self restraint. My youngest is fussy, but even she is starting to try stuff without pressure from us

« Reply #54 on: 28 February, 2017, 02:52:53 pm »
But that said, I remain convinced that food fads are mostly learned behaviour,

This.  How else do, for example, Koreans grow up loving the crunch of cartilage, or the slime of sea cucumber. Or the French the aroma of andouilette.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #55 on: 28 February, 2017, 03:11:42 pm »

This.  How else do, for example, Koreans grow up loving the crunch of cartilage, or the slime of sea cucumber. Or the French the aroma of andouilette.

Or anyone enjoying beer...

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #56 on: 28 February, 2017, 03:16:23 pm »

Or anyone enjoying beer...
Or tea or coffee...
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #57 on: 28 February, 2017, 03:44:25 pm »
Now there's a thought - andouilette, frites and a glass of leffe

caerau

• SR x 3 - PBP fail but 1090 km - hey - not too bad
« Reply #58 on: 28 February, 2017, 04:16:56 pm »
I think that's all I eat on PBP.  maybe that's why I failed  :'(
It's a reverse Elvis thing.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #59 on: 28 February, 2017, 04:42:28 pm »
Too true. It should have been pheasant, champagne and a good woman.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ian

« Reply #60 on: 28 February, 2017, 05:24:46 pm »

See, all those are ick. The Japanese made me eat a sea cucumber. It's not cucumber. Big lie! Chinese menus, let's not go there. I inadvertently ate a bullfrog last time. I remember once getting served the insides of a pig's knee in Serbia. Oh, that was gross, particularly as it bought all my human anatomy back. Oh look, the medial meniscus.

I thank the lord there was nothing more exotic in my childhood kitchen than fish fingers and instant mash. There's no upper limit on how often I can eat fish fingers, instant mash, peas and packet parsley sauce.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #61 on: 01 March, 2017, 08:16:36 am »
The article I saw on the BBC mentioned a portion being equivalent to a small banana - or three heaped teaspoonfuls of peas! Perhaps they meant tablespoonful?
Or, since barely anyone eats with tablespoons, dessertspoonfuls?

I eat my peas with honey
I've done it all my life
It makes the peas taste funny
But it keeps them on the knife
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #62 on: 02 March, 2017, 03:24:07 pm »
Breakfast today - soya milk, protein powder & banana smoothie - 1
Lunch - microwaved sweet potato with baked beans & cheese, persimmon 3
Dinner tonight - pilaf (brown rice, an onion & garlic, peas, peanuts) with kale and cauliflower 4

So that's eight. Throw in an avocado while I wait for the pilaf to cook, and some grapes later and that's ten. Possibly 11 if I can count the beans and the rice, but I think that's not allowed.

If I'd had beans on toast, or a cheese sandwich (maybe with tomato) for lunch instead, and based my evening meal around meat, it would be more difficult.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

ian

« Reply #63 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:29:03 pm »
Breakfast - toast and marmalade (1, on account that marmalade is basically oranges)
Lunch - one mango (2) and some dried apricots (3) (oh, they were apricots once).
Snack - a portion of pecans (4)
Dinner (which I will have later) - chicken curry with veggie pilaf (cauliflower (5), brussels (6), beans (7), and peas (8).

Oh no, I'm short.

I'll have a bottle of Belgish tripel (barley (9), oats (10), wheat (11), hops (12)).

See, it's easy. And yes, grains are vegetables, obvs.

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #64 on: 02 March, 2017, 08:38:50 pm »
Breakfast - Porridge
Lunch - Black pudding sandwiches, crisps, boiled egg.
Tea - Baked spud, tomato soup with extra chicken and toasted cheese croutons.
Supper.  Umm, mebbe oatcakes with cheese or cornflakes.  Or mebbe both.

Hmmm, must try harder. :D
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Morrisette

• Still Suffolkating
    • Now Suffolkating on the internet:
« Reply #65 on: 03 March, 2017, 11:24:45 am »
Breakfast: Smoothie (1), toast, tea
Snack: tea, biscuit
Lunch: Sandwich, yoghurt, orange (2), pressed fruit bar thing (3)
Dinner: Fishcakes, beans (3) and broccoli (4), orange juice (5)
Snack: Tea, chocolate

Yeah there's not ten things there! However tea is made of leaves...................
Not overly audacious
@suffolkncynical

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #66 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:17:03 pm »
Breakfast:  Oats & raisins in milk, orange juice.      1.5
Lunch:       Prêt A Manger sandwich partner obtained FOC previous night, 4 lettuce leaves, fresh pineapple.   1.5
Supper:     Salmon in Lemon juice and lime juice, Carrot, broccoli, potato, orange   3

« Reply #67 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:23:27 pm »
Breakfast:   Oats & raisins in milk, orange juice.      1.5
Lunch:       Prêt A Manger sandwich partner obtained FOC previous night, 4 lettuce leaves, fresh pineapple.   1.5
Supper:     Salmon in Lemon juice and lime juice, Carrot, broccoli, potato, orange   3

One is tempted to ask, 'How?'

« Reply #68 on: 03 March, 2017, 12:38:20 pm »
Breakfast- large nutribullet with protein powder (5)
Snack- banana, apple (7)
Lunch- swet potato with half tin beans, large salad (12)
Snack- nakd bar (13)
Dinner- stir fried beans with pepper, carrot, leeks, broccoli, beansprouts, mushrooms all in coconut oil (19)
Pudding- strawberries and raspberries with a squirt of choc shot on top (21)

That's pretty typical for me. No low carb here ;)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #69 on: 03 March, 2017, 01:31:00 pm »

Brent Cyclists hold evening meetings at Wembley Pret on odd-numbered months.
At the end of trade, Pret dispose of unsold food.
The charity which usually collects this for distribution to homeless people had not collected that evening.
Brent Cyclists were offered this food to prevent wastage.

« Reply #70 on: 03 March, 2017, 09:23:32 pm »

Ah, just wondered as I knew about the usual distribution approach

Brent Cyclists hold evening meetings at Wembley Pret on odd-numbered months.
At the end of trade, Pret dispose of unsold food.
The charity which usually collects this for distribution to homeless people had not collected that evening.
Brent Cyclists were offered this food to prevent wastage.