Author Topic: Lego Batman  (Read 1241 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Lego Batman
« on: 03 March, 2017, 05:29:41 pm »
I'm very much looking forward to this. Should be one for the "superhero movies take themselves too seriously" brigade :)

Not sure what to make of this review, but I think I enjoyed it:

http://theconversation.com/lego-batman-the-darkest-knight-yet-73300

"...
Featuring a Batman staring down the barrel of retirement, Miller’s bruising 1986 work concludes that Wayne’s vigilante persona has not disempowered the villains he fights but has instead inspired them. This theme is given flesh (or brick) in the new Lego film when Zach Galafianakis’ Joker bursts into tears because Batman refuses to acknowledge him as his arch enemy. “You mean nothing to me, no-one does,” Batman spits at the blubbing clown prince of crime – who then spends the next 90 minutes attempting to win back the hero’s gaze in ever escalating ways. This is a brilliant lampooning of Miller’s concept but the problem with ultimately using this source material for a family film is that The Dark Knight Returns does not end with Wayne reaching any form of enlightenment.

To Miller, the only thing that means anything to Wayne is Batman. This leads to a highly problematic climax when, rather than be re-integrated into lawful society, Wayne instead goes further underground and forms a private army of child soldiers. Miller’s piece has been attacked by critics as a fascist parable and one of the the biggest shocks of The Lego Batman Movie is seeing how its climax equally celebrates the character eschewing normality. Instead he settles down with a new surrogate family who enable his dark disease. The fact that they all wear batsuits together provides a chilling echo to Miller’s story and the troubling nods it contains to the cult of personality.
... "
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Lego Batman
« Reply #1 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:31:42 pm »
The LEGO Movie was superb..despite it being a LEGO Movie.

I've heard the Batman version needs a few watches, just to keep up with the jokes.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

ian

« Reply #2 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:49:40 pm »
Bat kayak!

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #3 on: 03 March, 2017, 05:55:19 pm »
I hated the Lego Movie and wasn't keen on seeing Lego Batman, but...

This theme is given flesh (or brick) in the new Lego film when Zach Galafianakis’ Joker bursts into tears because Batman refuses to acknowledge him as his arch enemy. “You mean nothing to me, no-one does,” Batman spits at the blubbing clown prince of crime – who then spends the next 90 minutes attempting to win back the hero’s gaze in ever escalating ways.

...this might have won me over.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

rob

« Reply #4 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:31:06 pm »
We went daytime at half term.   This turned out to be dumb.

Caught a lot if the jokes but it'll need another watch with less people around or when the dvd comes out.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:54:11 pm »
I'll wait for the DVD or download, but definitely on the list.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 03 March, 2017, 09:59:57 pm »
Went to see this with daughter (21) and wife. We all enjoyed it, daughter more than parents. I felt it wasn't as good as the Lego Movie, lacked Liam Neeson.  :)
What's this bottom line for anyway?