Author Topic: British Pie Week  (Read 8983 times)

Re: British Pie Week
« Reply #25 on: 10 March, 2017, 12:44:59 am »
Is it pie?

A sausage roll falls foul of Rule 1

But a sausage roll is not a pie. Tasty, but not a pie.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #26 on: 10 March, 2017, 06:38:16 am »
That's my point, rule 1 therefore not a pie.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #27 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:02:21 am »
A remainers pie?
Better a remainers than the alternative. A Hot water crust raised pie, kept moist by the jelly, layered with native meats: venison, pheasant, duck. Studded with festive cranberries. Sliced to share. Your Pukka Pie is a solo secret shameful treat. This pie is a centrepiece glory. Like the finest Melton Mowbray Pork Pie to the power of 12 (servings).
Ugh God,  that's a cow with a bit of flour dusting,
A cow? A cow!? There's no beef in that pie! Don't you recognise the deer shapes in the pastry?

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #28 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:07:06 am »
Although you can have an approximate pie by sharing 22 Cornish pasties between 7 people.
I've heard awful food-related maths jokes before, but that takes the biscuit.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #29 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:52:59 am »
A remainers pie?
Better a remainers than the alternative. A Hot water crust raised pie, kept moist by the jelly, layered with native meats: venison, pheasant, duck. Studded with festive cranberries. Sliced to share. Your Pukka Pie is a solo secret shameful treat. This pie is a centrepiece glory. Like the finest Melton Mowbray Pork Pie to the power of 12 (servings).
A cow? A cow!? There's no beef in that pie! Don't you recognise the deer shapes in the pastry?
It appears, sir, I was wrong in seeing this as a metropolitan elite pie - it the pie of another elite entirely. Your pie is wearing tweeds. It is an upper crust pie - literally. Filled with the game-birds and venison of the Norman aristocracy, to share among themselves and feast on while grinding the faces of the peasants. It is a veritable Paul Nuttall of a pie.
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #30 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:17:48 am »
It is a veritable Paul Nuttall of a pie.

Sir

I beg to differ regarding your comparison of Paul Nuttall to what your refer to as an upper crust pie.  I see nothing palatable about Paul Nuttall whereas the pie appears eminently palatable and partaking of the pie would no doubt be a very enjoyable and palatable experience.

I remain as ever, Sir, your obedient servant

V

« Reply #31 on: 10 March, 2017, 10:42:02 am »
That's my point, rule 1 therefore not a pie.

Ah, sorry, I see - I have had sausage rolls where the pastry extends beyond the filling, and so they might plausibly pass rule 1.

« Reply #32 on: 10 March, 2017, 01:07:24 pm »
I ate a pork pie for lunch, just before reading this. So no photos, sorry.

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #33 on: 10 March, 2017, 06:02:36 pm »
I remember doing a company team building day at Melton Mowbray. We all went to the pot pie shop and made our own pork pies. It was a grand day out and I feel everyone gained a new respect for the pork pie as well as each other.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #34 on: 10 March, 2017, 07:35:50 pm »
A remainers pie?

Mmm venison!

Also, didn't realise it was a homemade fboabpie.  I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your pie skills, it was more a statement on my preference for carbs over meat.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #35 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:19:05 pm »
Myself and Mrs Ham have just nommed a Steakankidney pie, where I threw in a marrow bone in the mix along with most of a bottle of wine for added nomness.

What a good idea this thread is.

ElyDave

« Reply #36 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:47:17 pm »
Although I have very strict attitudes to pie-ness, I rarely eat them, save as audax fuel. The interior is much more of interest. The coffin pie idea seems a good one to me.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #37 on: 10 March, 2017, 08:50:22 pm »
Pukka pies are the only pie for That Jesus Sandwich. I tried once with Pieminister but this boy was forced to demur from trying to squeeze something that large into his mouth. They also make a Heidi pie which sounds a bit sinister.
I had a Pieminister Heidi pie today, for no particular reason. They're ok but a bit kind of rich. My favourite pies are Lovett pies, which I think are made in Wiltshire or maybe Somerset.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #38 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:12:03 pm »
Were that a Paul Nuttalls of the UKIPs from Liverpool pie you could have used the crust as heat insulation on the soacecraft returning said Paul Nuttalls of the UKIPs from Liverpool from the first moon landing.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

ian

« Reply #39 on: 10 March, 2017, 09:23:03 pm »
My dad told me, back when I was a child, that the jelly in pork pies was the pie-makers' snot. I didn't believe him. It was a bit of a shock as an adult to learn that he was, for once, telling the truth. But I've always carefully liberated the other constituent parts of the pie because a good pork pie is 95% nomilicious and 5% eek.

I can't eat deer or pigs because they look cute. I fear I may be sliding back towards cheesitarianism.

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #40 on: 10 March, 2017, 11:18:49 pm »
A co-shirker says the same about lamb.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #41 on: 11 March, 2017, 11:47:50 am »
I am saddened by this thread's concentration on savoury pies. Let us not forget the apple pie, the the rhubarb pie, and the highest achievement of any civilisation so far - the blackberry & apple pie. With custard.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #42 on: 11 March, 2017, 12:04:15 pm »
Damn fine cherry pie.
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #43 on: 11 March, 2017, 02:27:39 pm »
But is there not a uniquely BRITISH, or at least Commonwealth, aspect to the savoury Pie which those unruly tea thieves of the Former Colony have simply failed to grasp?  To further demonstrate their ignorance of the Noble Pie, much of what is described by them as Pie is actually a Tart, or possibly even a Flan, and as to referring to a base of dough topped with cheese, tomato sauce and whatever else takes yer fancy1 as a "pizza pie", well, really.  Just because Dino Crocetti sang about it does not make it Pie, you dolts.

Also there was a Pukka Pie advertising-announcement on the anbaric distascope while I was typing the above.

1: Except pineapple, obv.  Apparently this heathenish practice was invented by a Canuckistani!
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #44 on: 11 March, 2017, 03:54:05 pm »
I am saddened by this thread's concentration on savoury pies. Let us not forget the apple pie, the the rhubarb pie, and the highest achievement of any civilisation so far - the blackberry & apple pie. With custard.
Lemon meringue pie. O my.

« Reply #45 on: 11 March, 2017, 04:18:26 pm »
Reading 'Three Men in a Boat', again. They did like their pies!
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #46 on: 12 March, 2017, 06:12:01 am »
A remainers pie?

Mmm venison!

Also, didn't realise it was a homemade fboabpie.  I didn't mean to cast aspersions on your pie skills, it was more a statement on my preference for carbs over meat.

I have to apologise unreservedly for my unkind comments on fboabs tweed pie. It is a British classic, and not to be mocked.

Tigerrr

• Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #47 on: 12 March, 2017, 06:16:43 am »
But is there not a uniquely BRITISH, or at least Commonwealth, aspect to the savoury Pie which those unruly tea thieves of the Former Colony have simply failed to grasp?  To further demonstrate their ignorance of the Noble Pie, much of what is described by them as Pie is actually a Tart, or possibly even a Flan, and as to referring to a base of dough topped with cheese, tomato sauce and whatever else takes yer fancy1 as a "pizza pie", well, really.  Just because Dino Crocetti sang about it does not make it Pie, you dolts.

Also there was a Pukka Pie advertising-announcement on the anbaric distascope while I was typing the above.

1: Except pineapple, obv.  Apparently this heathenish practice was invented by a Canuckistani!
In the American restaurant set up by that scotchman Mac Donald, they offer apple pies which are a thing of wonder. There is no culinary equivalent in any known cuisine, snd I don't think they are a pie at all but boy they are good.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #48 on: 13 March, 2017, 10:18:23 am »
Lemon meringue pie. O my.
The best.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

ElyDave

« Reply #49 on: 14 March, 2017, 06:53:11 am »
Lemon Meringue Pie falls foul of ruel 1