Author Topic: EPE foam roller?  (Read 2220 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
EPE foam roller?
« on: 11 March, 2017, 05:13:13 pm »
I am trying to get a foam roller (dimension 6in x 36in in length). However for what I need  to do with it I need something called an EPE one which is apparently firmer than what is usually bought.

I say all this having only referred to Dr Internet.

Can someone please recommend something suitable?

thanks

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: EPE foam roller?
« Reply #1 on: 11 March, 2017, 05:54:59 pm »
Partner has a roller.
He is out at present.
I know he got it locally but can't remember where.
He does not seem to have used it much in the last few weeks.
What specific exercises do you wish to do?
I know NOTHING about these things but will try to get more information from D.
As you don't live too far from here, I hope this might help.

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 11 March, 2017, 07:53:37 pm »
Thanks.

I need to do something around my thoracic back, so rolling back and forth with it and then lying on top of it and stretching backwards. :)

« Reply #3 on: 11 March, 2017, 08:42:17 pm »
Thanks.

I need to do something around my thoracic back, so rolling back and forth with it and then lying on top of it and stretching backwards. :)

Some years ago, I had neck and upper back pain and was prescribed 'lying on a filled up towel' to encourage movement and flexibility in the vertebrae. That all geode being crunched by the therapist. Things did her and remain better, but I suspect running also helps me.

Hope you fell better reasonably quickly

Mike

Ben T

« Reply #4 on: 11 March, 2017, 09:18:46 pm »
tennis ball is a reasonable substitute

velosam

« Reply #5 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:48:42 am »
Mike I think it's the same exercise.  It's basically to get my back to move in the opposite direction to how I sit.  My problem is that standing, walking or sitting upright for more than a hour leaves me in pain.

« Reply #6 on: 13 March, 2017, 06:46:46 pm »
As long as it's not outright squishy, the firmness of the foam wont diminish it's effectiveness, but may diminish it's longevity.

« Reply #7 on: 13 March, 2017, 11:16:42 pm »

Sounds like what the physio's got me doing.

I'm using one of these from Argos: http://www.argos.co.uk/product/6214900

The outer layer's got a rigid plastic inner surface and you can use it with or without the other insides if you're wanting something that keeps its shape.

« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2017, 01:20:56 pm »
I have a short one of these to crush my ITBs into shape (as recommended by my physio):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/PhysioWorld-Foam-Roller-Massage-Pilates/dp/B01LWN8FM3/ref=cts_sp_1_vtp?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_p=1212178027&pf_rd_r=1S0BQCAQG0C5Q70R87QQ&pd_rd_wg=zzGir&pf_rd_s=desktop-detail-softlines&pf_rd_t=40701&pd_rd_i=B01LWN8FM3&pd_rd_w=KcLGg&pf_rd_i=desktop-detail-softlines&pd_rd_r=1S0BQCAQG0C5Q70R87QQ&_encoding=UTF8
"Foam" isn't a very good description- it's pretty damn hard, and when you find a knot it really hurts, but it does seem t work pretty effectively...

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:52:38 pm »
I've got a 6" x 18" hard foam roller you can have the price of postage - £2.85?

Purple colur - cost £10!!!  ::-)

Suggested by a NHS physio for tight hamstrings (amongst other related things)

What a silly palaver! Couldn't be ar**d/it was painful supporting myslef on my wrists!

Using it vertically as a fruit and nut bowl pedestal

Simple stretching did the trick :)

PS also got a blow up plastic ball (red) - 60cm - will throw that in too for nowt