Author Topic: Landline not ringing  (Read 2904 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Landline not ringing
« on: 10 April, 2017, 04:55:35 pm »
While I've been gallavanting this month it's become apparent that we have a problem with our home phone. I suspect it's been going on for a while as I'd noticed we haven't had any crap sales calls, dropped answerphone messages etc for ages.

So we have DECT cordless phones. After a bit of grumbling over FB messenger between Pingus it became apparent that if I told Pingu I was dialling that he could pick the phone and speak to me although the handsets neither rang, nor lit up in anyway (caller display should have been on there). The phone seems to be able to make outgoing calls ok.
I checked all the phone settings, tried moving the base unit to the master socket, different microfilters etc, checked that nothing weird had been selected in the Plusnet settings like call divert or anything like that. Drew a blank.

So I ordered a new phone. Ha.

Same issue, except that the new phone does actually light up in a teeny tiny manner to show that a call has been received (although I don't seem to be able to answer it now like we could with the previous phone).
Next question, did I try a corded phone? No, we don't own one.

It's a bit frikkin weird though. Any other bright ideas before I go getting Plusnet onto Openretch?

Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Re: Landline not ringing
« Reply #1 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:03:24 pm »
Always keep a test cheap corded phone for situations like this.

Anyway sounds like you aren't getting the ringing AC voltage. Its up to about 90v at 20Hz but I think thats superimposed on the on hook 50v DC.
You should be able to get someone to ring you and check the voltage with a metre.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #2 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:06:56 pm »
That happened to me. I rang my phone supplier, they did something at the exchange and the ringing started again.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #3 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:08:38 pm »
Damaged cable somewhere before the phone's entry point?

Some years ago we had a weird phenomenon in which the phone would ring but there was no-one there. 1471 indicated that no call had been received, but still the phone would, periodically, give one brief ring and then ... nothing. This went on for some months and one day I happened to notice two rings in relatively quick succession coinciding with someone walking through the kitchen door. We tried it again ... and it worked again.

It turned out that the wire was under the vinyl floor and had been damaged so that two of the wires touched each other whenever anyone trod on them, completing a circuit and making the phone ring.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #4 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:32:54 pm »
That happened to me. I rang my phone supplier, they did something at the exchange and the ringing started again.

Looking my symptoms up on t'internet suggests a faulty line card at the exchange. Just trying Plusnets online line checker but it keeps failing and going to an error page, which is useful!

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:34:13 pm »
Always keep a test cheap corded phone for situations like this.

Indeed.

Anyway sounds like you aren't getting the ringing AC voltage. Its up to about 90v at 20Hz but I think thats superimposed on the on hook 50v DC.

On a UK line you get a polarity reversal, the CID burst, then the ringing signal.  DAHIKT.

BRITISH practice is to complicate things by extracting the ring signal with a capcitor in the master socket, and distribute this around the extensions on a third wire.  (This is a good way to hamper DSL performance.)  Most of the rest of the world doesn't bother, and does that stuff in the phone, so we end up with the situation where most modern electronic phones don't actually need the ring wire in order to ring, but proper old ones with bells in, and occasional oddities, do.  I'd expect a DECT set to fall into the former category, but stranger things have happened.

If the DSL and actual voice call are working, but CID and ringing aren't, then it's all a bit peculiar.  Could be an exchange fault.

You should be able to get someone to ring you and check the voltage with a metre.

Indeed.  Note that ringing voltage hurts.  DAHIKT, either.

« Reply #6 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:44:51 pm »
Indeed.  Note that ringing voltage hurts.  DAHIKT, either.

Quite so. I have never once been caught holding the bared ends of a telephone cable when someone decides to ring me, honestly not once. Multiple times though that's different.

A word of advice. When you are holding said coppery bits and someone attempts to ring you thus giving you a nasty belt of electrons you will then drop the damn thing whereupon it is almost certain that the person on the other end of the line not having got an answer will attempt to ring again just as you stop swearing and pick up the cable again .....

« Reply #7 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:48:05 pm »
Pri lines are much more civilised. All digital so no nasty sudden large voltages. I am so glad I no longer work with phone lines at all it was a nasty nasty world of dodgy earths and floating potentials causing havoc, plus the differences between US and UK standards causing all sorts of issues - you can guarantee all the training and manuals were written for US standards not UK ones.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #8 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:48:37 pm »
I have neither a multimeter nor the faintest clue how to wield one so I'm not going to be giving myself any shocks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 10 April, 2017, 05:52:48 pm »
Pointy end towards the voles :)

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #10 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:04:04 pm »
Sounds like a line fault.
Go to BT's website and you can run an automated line test from there.

http://www.bt.com/help/home/landline.html

If it fails, it will automatically log a fault with BT.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #11 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:12:30 pm »
I've got Plusnet doing that via chat. Everytime they do it the internet goes b0rk and the chat drops. Suppose I'll have to actually speak to a live person.

« Reply #12 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:24:19 pm »
I only ever answer my landline by appointment.
Move Faster and Bake Things

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #13 on: 10 April, 2017, 06:50:29 pm »
I had the same symptoms in my last flat and the line fault thingy didn't find it. Eventually it was established by the BT Engineer that the line from the box to my flat was damaged and (this being Cumbria) wet.

Running a new cable from the box on the street to the house fixed the problem.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #14 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:32:54 pm »
Confusingly the support chap said there'd been a fault found on the line earlier (presumably when I was trying to do the line test via chat support) but on the ticket he raised just now it states "NFF" which I'm guessing stands for no fault found.  ???

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:39:09 pm »
"Damn and blast British Telecom!" said Kim, the words coming easily through force of habit.

Faults can be intermittent.  Sometimes the line test itself can jibble a line card or resolve a marginal connection.

It hasn't started working, has it?

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #16 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:50:45 pm »
Nope.

Feanor

« Reply #17 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:54:19 pm »
You just need to get back onto your phone provider again, and tell them that it's not working.
The automated line tests don't always pick up all faults.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #18 on: 10 April, 2017, 09:59:45 pm »
The BT engineer is already booked.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:01:36 pm »
Huh, just tried it again and it's working!
Question is when should I cancel the engineer.....

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #20 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:15:13 pm »
Do you have an appointment time for the engineer?
Will they charge you if no fault is found?
Suggest you try again first thing tomorrow morning before cancelling...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #21 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:22:52 pm »
Normal for them to have a fiddle at the exchange before turning up.  Not sure if that turns into a cancellation or not.  Probably depends on whether they think they've fixed something.

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter
« Reply #22 on: 12 April, 2017, 05:43:12 pm »
I was about to phone them to cancel this morning when they did it for me and saved me the bother, which was a bonus :)

We have had confirmation from our suppliers that your phone fault should now be fixed. We have checked the line and everything appears to be in order but we are not able to account for every eventuality.

If your service is still not working please get back in touch and we will be happy to investigate further for you.

*INTERNAL*
Main Fault Location: FU (Fault located at exchange (Openreach side of MDF))
Fault Code: BNR (Bell Not Ringing)
Clear Code: 1.5
Clear Message: Exchange - Customer Line Service

Feanor

« Reply #23 on: 12 April, 2017, 05:46:12 pm »

Mrs Pingu

• Twitter