Author Topic: Old Peugeot 10speed Value?  (Read 3259 times)

Old Peugeot 10speed Value?
« on: 22 April, 2017, 01:31:39 pm »
Hi My neighbour has been given by his f-in-law an old Peugeot 10-speed that has been in his garage for about 40 years. It has probably never been ridden and is in immaculate  (as-new with dust)  condition.

Any suggestions as to how much I should offer him for it?

Peter M.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
Re: Old Peugeot 10speed Value?
« Reply #1 on: 22 April, 2017, 01:35:59 pm »
What model bike is it.

« Reply #2 on: 22 April, 2017, 06:56:50 pm »
Peugeots from that era were nothing special, to put it politely. A PX-10 (Reynolds 531 tubing, Stronglight cotterless cranks, cheap tubular tires) might be worth something to a collector, but even they were a step or two below the best racing bikes of that era.

« Reply #3 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:02:46 pm »
Peugeots from that era were nothing special, to put it politely. A PX-10 (Reynolds 531 tubing, Stronglight cotterless cranks, cheap tubular tires) might be worth something to a collector, but even they were a step or two below the best racing bikes of that era.

The PX10s and the Aravis (in 531c) actually ride very nicely. I sold an Aravis for a couple of hundred pounds, but it wasn't original (singlespeed) although it was generally nice but not excellent.

I'd ride it.

« Reply #4 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:15:21 pm »
It all depends on the model.

If its Peugeot carbolite steel then forget it, but if its a Professional then it'll be worth a few ton once cleaned up, and provided that nothing is rusty or pitted

« Reply #5 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:33:09 pm »

Bernard Thevenet rode Peugeots (531 with top of the range French parts) and they were equal of the best racing bikes of that era.

But the bike in question is probably not of that level, so yes it depends on the model, "Peugeot 10speed" by itself is meaningless.

« Reply #6 on: 23 April, 2017, 01:45:45 pm »
Thanks for the help. :thumbsup:  I got another look at it this morning.  It's a model PE10N with about a 24 inch frame, and a big carbolite sticker on the frame above the shifters.

Following on from the responses here I have lost interest in it, and anyway, it's not a Raleigh.

PM

« Reply #7 on: 23 April, 2017, 02:13:29 pm »
An as new 40 year bike is still interesting!

« Reply #8 on: 23 April, 2017, 03:38:12 pm »
If I hear where he puts it up for sale, I'll post a link.

PM

« Reply #9 on: 23 April, 2017, 06:57:17 pm »
Without wishing to appear rude, it really is a bike of no interest at all. I had something very similar in 1984.  It cost me £40 new. 

« Reply #10 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:02:22 pm »
use l'eroica in any description and add £50 to the price! 

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #11 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:16:15 pm »
I had an Iseran, which was a step up but not worth that much.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #12 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:31:20 pm »
I sold a used gas-pipe Peugeot 10-speed for £60 back in my Arthur Dayley days (late 80s/early 90s).  A well worded ad in the local paper and Autosol metal polish does did wonders!
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #13 on: 23 April, 2017, 10:00:02 pm »
In France you'd probably have difficulty (trying to) give it away

« Reply #14 on: 24 April, 2017, 01:14:37 pm »

That's true!

I was in my local troc last week and they had a couple of decent looking road bikes with Columbus steel tubes gathering dust.    50 euros but they take offers.  They'll still be there in a month unlike the old Raleigh they once had.  It was so good I went back for it and some b*gg*r had got there first. I was sure no one else would be interested. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #15 on: 24 April, 2017, 08:07:53 pm »

That's true!

I was in my local troc last week and they had a couple of decent looking road bikes with Columbus steel tubes gathering dust.    50 euros but they take offers.  They'll still be there in a month unlike the old Raleigh they once had.  It was so good I went back for it and some b*gg*r had got there first. I was sure no one else would be interested.

I have a garage full of bikes that have come for free because no-one would want to pay for them (including my Vitus 992, which is quite the nicest thing I've ever ridden - shows how low my standards are I suppose). They've all had to be built up from frames but the rest of the bits have come for free as well!

The Decathlon Trocathlon used to have very nice steel road bikes complete up for 20€ on the last day and without takers. Leboncoin sellers are usually more ambitious but there's no knowing how successful they really are.

« Reply #16 on: 25 April, 2017, 06:51:48 am »
because they usually have slotted dropouts, such 10s bikes make viable singlespeeds, which are worth some money rather than nearly none, even when they are tatty.  You can convert such a machine for the price of a 3/32" freewheel plus your time to redish the rear wheel and strip off the derailleurs (which can be sold separately).

One day almost any bike that is unused and of a certain age may be worth money, but that day has not yet come for bikes of this sort....

cheers

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #17 on: 25 April, 2017, 08:35:12 am »

That's true!

Now that interests me, anything interesting?

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #18 on: 25 April, 2017, 08:36:28 am »

That's true!

I have a garage full of bikes that have come for free because no-one would want to pay for them (including my Vitus 992, which is quite the nicest thing I've ever ridden - shows how low my standards are I suppose). They've all had to be built up from frames but the rest of the bits have come for free as well!

The Decathlon Trocathlon used to have very nice steel road bikes complete up for 20€ on the last day and without takers. Leboncoin sellers are usually more ambitious but there's no knowing how successful they really are.

Dibs  :facepalm:

« Reply #19 on: 25 April, 2017, 08:09:58 pm »

That's true!

Dibs  :facepalm:

You're too late; I was given a complete Motobécane the other day to take to the tip and that's where it went; chain was a bit rusty and I have kept the wheels and the dérailleurs (the front is crap Sachs Huret but the back is a Simplex Vallée which pricked my curiosity a bit). I was thinking of Torslanda as a candidate but I don't have the space to put things to one side  :(

« Reply #20 on: 25 April, 2017, 09:56:24 pm »
There were some spectacularly heavy Peugeot 10-speeds in the late 70s/early 80s.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #21 on: 26 April, 2017, 01:54:02 am »
I have a Mercier waiting for me in the Limousin. Must remember to take a spare bike carrier with me in August . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #22 on: 26 April, 2017, 07:01:34 am »
I have a Mercier waiting for me in the Limousin. Must remember to take a spare bike carrier with me in August . . .

Go for it!
Move Faster and Bake Things

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
« Reply #23 on: 26 April, 2017, 08:31:44 pm »

I can deal with it ;)

« Reply #24 on: 26 April, 2017, 08:42:41 pm »

Go for it!

Mercier in UK usually only means the high quality stuff - which is in my (biased) opinion absolutely lovely. Mercier in France covers a much wider range, a lot of which are best suited to fetching the bread and the groceries (or strings of onions  ;D ). I hope yours is a good one.

If you are in the Limousin and need a bike to ride I now have a visitor's bike which you will be welcome to use if you want. Only a 30yr old mid-range Moser race frame with 7sp but not too heavy and 34/26 bottom gear.