Author Topic: Eroica California - Start of a Eroica World Tour  (Read 1021 times)

Eroica California - Start of a Eroica World Tour
« on: 30 April, 2017, 09:20:48 am »
The Eroica ride went well, heavy rain in the days before cooled the air down making it very pleasant ride, the first climb of the day was Kiler Canyon (aka Killer Hill) and this was truncated before the very trickey off road muddy section towards the top 1/3rd, however the alternative route was difficult enough on the upside where the gradient was mostly 16% (same as Sun Rising Hill). but the downside bit was a real backside, with potholes and ruts lurking to catch the unwary out, the brakes were on all the time giving severe muscle pump in the arms and hands, the ride along the coast was less fun when the wind had changed to a head wind, but the return to Paso back over the mountain ridge was straightforward. It was a great experience and the local riders were great fun, very friendly and always charming. Security at LA airport was no joke but we enjoyed staying on the Queen Mary (very rundown and $250M away from scrapping), Getty museum, USS Iowa and some other sights. The Holdsworth performed without fault, and I was very pleased that new H Plus alloy rims on NOS Campy hi flanges were proved to be an excellent investment, and a 31 tooth rear gear was essential. Lots of lovely bikes on show, and many happy riders.

90 miles, 7,500 ft, 7.5 hours, 1,000 riders, hours of fun.

My next Eroica's are Britannia (with Birmingham Velo 100 later) and next year South Africa, Limburg (with Classic 24 hr Le Mans) and Tuscany.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
Re: Eroica California - Start of a Eroica World Tour
« Reply #1 on: 30 April, 2017, 08:20:54 pm »
The Eroica ride went well, heavy rain in the days before cooled the air down making it very pleasant ride, the first climb of the day was Kiler Canyon (aka Killer Hill) and this was truncated before the very trickey off road muddy section towards the top 1/3rd, however the alternative route was difficult enough on the upside where the gradient was mostly 16% (same as Sun Rising Hill). but the downside bit was a real backside, with potholes and ruts lurking to catch the unwary out, the brakes were on all the time giving severe muscle pump in the arms and hands, the ride along the coast was less fun when the wind had changed to a head wind, but the return to Paso back over the mountain ridge was straightforward. It was a great experience and the local riders were great fun, very friendly and always charming. Security at LA airport was no joke but we enjoyed staying on the Queen Mary (very rundown and $250M away from scrapping), Getty museum, USS Iowa and some other sights. The Holdsworth performed without fault, and I was very pleased that new H Plus alloy rims on NOS Campy hi flanges were proved to be an excellent investment, and a 31 tooth rear gear was essential. Lots of lovely bikes on show, and many happy riders.

90 miles, 7,500 ft, 7.5 hours, 1,000 riders, hours of fun.

My next Eroica's are Britannia (with Birmingham Velo 100 later) and next year South Africa, Limburg (with Classic 24 hr Le Mans) and Tuscany.

Reading this . . . . are you the chap I met at Sherbourne a couple of months ago and then again in the bike shop at Wellesbourne ?- the Holdsworth was the prompt in my mind (and the fact that you are doing more Eroicas) as well as a mention of Sunrising Hill.

Rob