Author Topic: Deliveroo - knobheads on bikes  (Read 10646 times)

Deliveroo - knobheads on bikes
« on: 04 May, 2017, 03:07:40 pm »
I'm increasingly frustrated with our local Deliveroo riders.   They are the epitome of all that is wrong with cyclists and that gets us a bad name.   In the past week I have witnessed RLJ'ing, riding on the pavement and riding in a pedestrianised zone.   two of these have almost hit me as a pedestrian.

I swear that I'm going to take out the next one that does something similar.   

Re: Deliveroo - knobheads on bikes
« Reply #1 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:34:07 pm »
I walk to work on a shared pavement/cycle lane. There is one bloke who every morning rides at speed (imo) too close
to pedestrians, who are only aware of him when he spooks us. Fortunately, I've discovered he works in the same
organisation as me and I know where he parks his bike.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:45:59 pm »
Yes. But thank goodness they have to some extent taken over from the Pizza2Go scooters and Domino's cars.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #3 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:47:40 pm »
Is fair to tar all Deliveroo riders with the same brush?

red marley

« Reply #4 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:50:37 pm »
I think this one is vulnerable to confirmation bias. Take any identifiable group with whom you've had direct or indirect negative experience (Deliveroo riders, black cabs, Audi drivers) and you become selectively attuned to noting further examples with the same group. It is something we often find applied to ourselves as "cyclists" by those who have antipathy towards people riding bikes.

« Reply #5 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:55:46 pm »
Don't we already have a Deliveroo thread?

There are some real numpty Deliveroo riders, agreed. Riding in distinctive livery does make us lump them all in together for the confirmation bias problem. We are likely to not notice the non-numpty Deliveroo riders.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #6 on: 04 May, 2017, 03:59:09 pm »
I know plenty of competent club cyclists who are of the student persuasion, who have worked Deliveroo to pay the bills.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #7 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:06:19 pm »
There are an awful lot of Deliverooers in Brighton & Hove.  Most appear to be very competent cyclists.  Some need to improve their road skills; some need to improve their bike maintenance.
Getting there...

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »
Darwinism applies to delivery/courier riders.

Eventually you are left with mostly competent ones.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

robgul

• Cycle:End-to-End webmaster
  • cyclist, Cytech accredited mechanic & woodworker
    • Cycle:End-to-End
« Reply #9 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:26:06 pm »
I think this one is vulnerable to confirmation bias. Take any identifiable group with whom you've had direct or indirect negative experience (Deliveroo riders, black cabs, Audi drivers) and you become selectively attuned to noting further examples with the same group. It is something we often find applied to ourselves as "cyclists" by those who have antipathy towards people riding bikes.

Surely you mean Subaru drivers (especially those the tea-tray thing on the boot)?

Rob

« Reply #10 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:32:53 pm »

Perhaps not but every time I encounter one in Rugby they are behaving like an arse.

Yup.  I cannot disagree with you.   Guilty.    :-[

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #11 on: 04 May, 2017, 05:32:41 pm »

Surely you mean Subaru drivers (especially those the tea-tray thing on the boot)?

Rob

BMW drivers surely? Keep trying to turn me into hood ornaments, or perhaps they're trying to get close enough to nick the snacks out of my back pocket?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

dim

« Reply #12 on: 04 May, 2017, 07:23:30 pm »
one of the problems is that Deliveroo monitors the time that it takes you to collect the order and the time it takes you to deliver the order. You get an email of every delivery that you do and it analizes the times

so, you are pushed to ride fast, plus you try and squeeze in as many deliveries that you can per hour (I work on a £4 per delivery fee, so if I can do 3-4 deliveries per hour, the pay is pretty decent)
“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

« Reply #13 on: 04 May, 2017, 07:38:41 pm »
So, would the financial incentive result in you pavement riding and red light jumping dim?

I think that I know the answer...     

TheLurker

• Goes well with magnolia.
« Reply #14 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:01:04 pm »
So, would the financial incentive result in you pavement riding and red light jumping dim?

Wouldn't be surprised.  Exactly the same motivation that means most motorised couriers are also knobheads in control (debatable I know) of a vehicle.  Stupidly tight delivery windows and large numbers of deliveries to make and penalties for failing to meet stupidly ambitious targets set by a salaried bean counter in a nice comfortable office.
Τα πιο όμορφα ταξίδια γίνονται με τις δικές μας δυνάμεις - Φίλοι του Ποδήλατου

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #15 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:10:20 pm »
People - knobheads (in vehicles).

« Reply #16 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:13:24 pm »

Perhaps not but every time I encounter one in Rugby they are behaving like an arse.

Yup.  I cannot disagree with you.   Guilty.    :-[

Three good posts.
Thread closed?
 :)

dim

« Reply #17 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:23:19 pm »

no not really ... I'm nearly 60 years old now and am pretty mellow and don't like pain (smashed kneecaps and tar burn)

however, if I was a skint 20 year old student from a foreign country, working for Deliveroo so as to buy food and beers and impress the ladies, I would most probably ride like a Kamikazi pilot  8)

« Reply #18 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:30:54 pm »

no not really ... I'm nearly 60 years old now and am pretty mellow and don't like pain (smashed kneecaps and tar burn)

however, if I was a skint 20 year old student from a foreign country, working for Deliveroo so as to buy food and beers and impress the ladies, I would most probably ride like a Kamikazi pilot  8)

Clearly not 'nearly 60' in your head   ;)

« Reply #19 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:05:39 pm »

Wouldn't be surprised.  Exactly the same motivation that means most motorised couriers are also knobheads in control (debatable I know) of a vehicle.  Stupidly tight delivery windows and large numbers of deliveries to make and penalties for failing to meet stupidly ambitious targets set by a salaried bean counter in a nice comfortable office.

I'd disagree - they know that any time they can't ride through broken bones or broken bike means no money, so they don't take unnecessary risks. Saving a few seconds here and there does not stack up well against a few days or weeks of no income at all. Barring a few knobheads, most motorbike couriers seem to be among the better two-wheelers on the roads. Similarly with cycle couriers, they are generally the ones waiting at the red lights while the commuters sail through, they know it's only a matter of time before they get a tug which may cost the whole afternoon's earnings. They also know they will gain more time by reading the road ahead than 30 seconds stopped at the lights.
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

dim

« Reply #20 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:41:36 pm »

I'd disagree - they know that any time they can't ride through broken bones or broken bike means no money, so they don't take unnecessary risks. Saving a few seconds here and there does not stack up well against a few days or weeks of no income at all. Barring a few knobheads, most motorbike couriers seem to be among the better two-wheelers on the roads. Similarly with cycle couriers, they are generally the ones waiting at the red lights while the commuters sail through, they know it's only a matter of time before they get a tug which may cost the whole afternoon's earnings. They also know they will gain more time by reading the road ahead than 30 seconds stopped at the lights.

watch this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBeuK0ovASM&t=119s

« Reply #21 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:53:00 pm »
Oddly enough, when they came to Rugby I was very tempted to give it a go.   I don't need to earn mega bucks but it could be fun riding around the town for a few hours in a day delivering food.   The thing that really puts me off is that stupid great box on their back.   I would prefer to use panniers and racktop bags.

« Reply #22 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:31:22 pm »
There are an awful lot of Deliverooers in Brighton & Hove.  Most appear to be very competent cyclists.  Some need to improve their road skills; some need to improve their bike maintenance.

This (I'm amazed that the work available can support so many), and their moped drivers seem roughly similar.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #23 on: 05 May, 2017, 08:48:33 am »
Oddly enough, when they came to Rugby I was very tempted to give it a go.   I don't need to earn mega bucks but it could be fun riding around the town for a few hours in a day delivering food.   The thing that really puts me off is that stupid great box on their back.   I would prefer to use panniers and racktop bags.
I think you can put the box on a rack. You'd need to unstrap it every time you delivered and collected, obviously, and you'd need pretty big straps to do so.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

dim

« Reply #24 on: 05 May, 2017, 09:04:08 pm »
I think you can put the box on a rack. You'd need to unstrap it every time you delivered and collected, obviously, and you'd need pretty big straps to do so.

you have a choice when you sign up .... either a backpack or a box .... if you want the box, they will fit it onto your rack for free ( you have to have a rack on your bike):

it's big but has been designed to carry several large pizzas... problem is, if you have more than 1 bike, and the 'deliveroo bike' is not working/broken, you cannot work, whereas with the backpack, you can jump onto any bike and earn cash

the backpack is very light and is not a problem to cycle with .... I've yet to get a pizza delivery in Cambridge .... all my jobs have been small sized orders....

you are issued with a smaller bag that fits into the big bag which keeps the food warm/ warmer