Author Topic: Good News - (No not the gospel) Physio advice welcome...  (Read 1414 times)

Wal

Good News - (No not the gospel) Physio advice welcome...
« on: 20 May, 2017, 10:56:32 am »
Well, it has been nearly two years away from cycling, and the forum, due to injury.

The good news, an MRI scan spotted the problem, 'Osteochondral Lesions Of The Talus' which have now been drilled for calcium/bone development, with ligament repairs, all due to blunt high impact trauma to foot and ankle.

Things are a bit tender, just out of hospital of course, I want to get back in the saddle, so any advice you guys have for gently getting back into audax would be very well received.

I am hoping to move beyond my 50K barrier by the end of the year...

Cheers!
A very happy Wallace  ;D

Re: Good News - (No not the gospel) Physio advice welcome...
« Reply #1 on: 20 May, 2017, 01:12:25 pm »
you need expert advice i think but I suspect you should maybe avoid using clipless pedals for a while at least.

nothing wrong with spinning on flat pedals
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wal

« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:13:41 am »
you need expert advice i think but I suspect you should maybe avoid using clipless pedals for a while at least.

nothing wrong with spinning on flat pedals

Cheers  :thumbsup: They have suggested gentle spinning (indoors) and walking in 6 weeks, aggressive physio, I thought a pot luck post here may have thrown up an expert physioterrorist...

Good advice, i'll bin the clipless pedals...

Easy does it I suppose, just happy to get oot on my bike again, local credit card touring (with a pannier or two) is looking like a new possibility, stop when I want and no time restraints...

Cheers,
W...

« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:43:56 am »
Really, truly, you shouldn't listen to me, although having googled your diagnosed injury, I'd say that is part of the (untreated) injury to my ankle from a rock climbing accident 28 years ago.

Ankle stability is really, really complex. I went through years of real problems. I injured my ankle when I was 22, I'm 50 now and it hurts to walk still, all the time. On bad days it is like there is a pebble jammed between the tibia and talus. I've been told by a surgeon that it should have been operated on at the time of the accident. But I've still managed to run several half marathons, so it isn't necessarily a complete barrier, just a nuisance.

Based on my experience, DO NOT rely on advice from random people from the internet (see what I did there?) but do push for treatment from the experts. Listen to the physios, do all the exercises. Don't overdo it. My comment about clipless was only because I thought that the twist action of unclipping could be damaging, but again, ask a physio.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Wal

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2017, 03:10:26 pm »
Yes, good advice... Your symptoms appear similar to mine, however, an MRI will determine if the lesions are active, if so, they can be micro-fractured to produce bone growth... Also, the pebble feeling between the tib and talus, can be shaved off, and cleaned, which is debris and trauma in the wound. I'll find out in four weeks if it has worked, when I take my first steps!! :o

Cheers,
Wallace...