Author Topic: Cleaning up an iPhone 5s  (Read 2312 times)

Cleaning up an iPhone 5s
« on: 29 May, 2017, 04:19:32 pm »
As above.
I'm about to upgrade later this week and would like to pass the above phone on to A.N.Other.
It is currently running on iOS 10.3.1 (which is as up to date as it gets, I think)
I need to get everything of mine off the phone.
Pictures of the incident involving the cormorant costume will not be well received by my intended recipient of the phone.
I'm guessing that what I need to do is a Factory Reset.

Where?
How?
Sim card in?
Sim card out?
Get the new phone working first?

And probably a few questions I've not thought of...

Can anyone help?

TIA

Re: Cleaning up an iPhone 5s
« Reply #1 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:23:26 pm »
Presuming you're upgrading to another iPhone, wait till you have the shiney new one on your mitts, back up the old to itunes then restore by setting up the new phone from an itunes backup.

Once you have everything, turn off find my iPhone, go to settings & Erase All Content and Settings & go from there.

If you're staying with the same operator, the old SIM is probably going to be re-used on the new phone.

« Reply #2 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »
Presuming you're upgrading to another iPhone, wait till you have the shiney new one on your mitts, back up the old to itunes then restore by setting up the new phone from an itunes backup.

Once you have everything, turn off find my iPhone, go to settings & Erase All Content and Settings & go from there.

If you're staying with the same operator, the old SIM is probably going to be re-used on the new phone.

Thanks.
It is another iPhone and the same operator.

I'm assuming your line which I've emboldened refers to the old phone - can that be done with no SIM in the phone?

« Reply #3 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:46:12 pm »
Correct. You don't need a SIM but it will need internet access.

Samuel D

« Reply #4 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:47:28 pm »
This:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201269

… followed by this:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201274

… will make sure you don’t forget to sign out of iCloud, etc.

Apple’s documentation is peerless and one of the best reasons to buy an Apple device. Use it!

« Reply #5 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:49:37 pm »
Correct. You don't need a SIM but it will need internet access.
Ta.
'Internet access' as in having the old phone plugged in to my iMac?

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 29 May, 2017, 04:50:20 pm »
Or connected to WiFi

« Reply #7 on: 29 May, 2017, 05:10:42 pm »

« Reply #8 on: 01 June, 2017, 07:20:47 pm »
And so, to Thursday's question.

Once I've erased all content from the old iPhone, will I still need to get it unlocked so that any old SIM will work in it, or will erasing all content make that unnecessary?

Please and thank you.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2017, 07:32:20 pm »
Erasing the content does not unlock it from a network.
If it's out of contract, they should do that for you.

« Reply #10 on: 01 June, 2017, 07:36:59 pm »
Thanks Feanor.
It is out of contract, ordinarily would I need to chase them to do that?
Or do they generally do that as a matter of course?

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #11 on: 01 June, 2017, 07:47:57 pm »
No they won't do it as a matter of course.
But they should if you ask.

« Reply #12 on: 01 June, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
Only the original purchaser can request the unlocking.

« Reply #13 on: 01 June, 2017, 08:14:49 pm »
Thanks both.

Adam

• It'll soon be summer
    • Charity ride Durness to Dover 18-25th June 2011
« Reply #14 on: 02 June, 2017, 05:30:39 am »
Three or four years ago, on a night ride round Kent, I found an iPhone at 4:30 am, in the middle of a zebra crossing in Deal High Street. 

The back of the phone was smashed, but the phone still worked, and I could tell from the contacts and apps, it belonged to a young lady and probably fell out of a pocket whilst crossing the road.  Found the home number, and left a number of messages saying I'd found the phone - no reply.

So after 2 months I wiped the phone, got a replacement back on the internet, bought a new SIM and gave the phone to my son.  It wasn't locked, so worked fine.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.” -Albert Einstein

« Reply #15 on: 02 June, 2017, 09:27:27 pm »
Contact made with EE.
They'll unlock the phone within the next 10 days and text me details of how the next user of the old phone should connect to it.
Getting near to a result.....

« Reply #16 on: 03 June, 2017, 02:01:35 pm »
Well.... that went into pulling teeth territory and it is 3 hours of my life I won't get back, but I'm pretty sure I'm done now.
One phonecall to EE who, pretty much immediately washed their hands of me and said it was an Apple issue (here we go, I thought, pillar to post....) but did put me through to Apple where I was talking to a person within 30 seconds.
Three further online requests to Apple to call me back - and on each occasion my phone rang with a few (single figures) seconds of me making the request.
One thing I will say of both EE and Apple, it was all amicably and patiently sorted by four persons who were readily accessed and for whom English is their mother language, and they didn't try to get matey with me - BT, Talk Talk, et al, are you reading this?

I now have a new iPhone which works, and an old one which has been cleansed of the cormorant incident, ready for its next recipient.