Author Topic: Old fashioned bike computer?  (Read 7311 times)

Old fashioned bike computer?
« on: 12 June, 2017, 11:23:51 am »
Thinking of getting an old fashioned bike computer for a cycle tour in case I can't keep my GPS charged. Any recommendations? Not too fussed about functions just current speed, average speed, trip distance and total distance. Wired or wireless? Either would be ok.

Suggestions?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Old fashioned bike computer?
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2017, 11:28:03 am »
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2017, 11:29:02 am »
Rust never sleeps

« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2017, 03:24:39 pm »
And serious answers? Or asking for opinions on non-GPS bike computers beyond you?

P.S. I asked the question on this forum because I've always had helpful advise on here. Also there's some knowledgeable and experienced posters who give good advice. I could do with one to come along while I've still got time to get something ordered.

« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2017, 03:37:24 pm »
I found the wired cateye velo ones to be ok, if they still make them, then try those. I think I had a velo 5.

The only prob I had with it was in sustained rain - then the contacts tended to short out and it ceased getting readings. It wasn't damaged, just didn't work until the mount was dried off. Putting vaseline on the mount helped prevent this.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2017, 03:40:28 pm »
Sorry. That wasn't a tongue in cheek suggestion from me. I run an older version of the one I suggested on my two main bikes and they both do what you asked for, very reliably.

I just looked.

I run a Cateye Mity 3 on my MTB and a Mity 8 on my road bike (as do mrs hatler and the two mini-hatlers). They never miss a beat.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #6 on: 12 June, 2017, 03:42:13 pm »
I have several Specialized Speedzone computers which work well, but I can't actually recommend them because they've been completely redesigned and I can't vouch for the current versions.

Nevertheless, I use basic bike computers primarily to provide current speed in mph (my Garmin works in metric), a bike-specific odometer, a clock and trip odometer that's there when the Garmin isn't, and occasionally for the thermometer function.

Odometer duties are severely compromised by a computer that needs to be manually woken up before use, which is a strong argument for wired computers.  I've also found wired to be more reliable, but that seems to be one of those YMMV things:  For every tale of nearfield wireless dodginess and battery woe, there's someone complaining about a wired computer failing due to contacts getting wet.

Avoid anything that can be reset by pressing a single button.  That's a recipe for frustration if you're going to remove it from the bike (although I've lost more computers to falling out of pockets than theft from unattended bikes, so I only remove it to bring the handy clock/thermometer into my tent while cycle-camping).

« Reply #7 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:10:20 pm »
I have several, mainly Sigma brand.  I use them because I want something that shows me my speed, records mileage, cumulative distance and that is about all.  Especially when on tour I certainly do not want something that needs to be charged every day when "old fashioned" units go for a couple of years before changing the battery.

« Reply #8 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:12:20 pm »
I don't know why no narky, Hatler gave an entirely reasonable response, suggesting the same as myself. Cateye velo 5 offers all the functions you want.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

eck

• Gonna ride my bike until I get home...
    • Angus Bike Chain CC
« Reply #9 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:15:32 pm »
FWIW. I've a couple of Cateye Strada computers and find that the wired version can be temperamental in the wet whereas the wireless works fine.
It's a bit weird, but actually quite wonderful.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #10 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:27:40 pm »
I presumed the narkedness is from the clickety-click photo, which is surely meant as a joke.

I like my Sigma wired computer. They don't make the exact same model anymore but there are various similar ones with more or fewer functions to taste. I used to have (might still have it somewhere) a Cateye Tomo XC (another old model), which was perfectly reliable but not so legible while riding, due to the smaller figures. So I'd look for large figures on the display. And I have a Cateye wireless model which works fine but needs waking up (like Kim's, though I don't know if hers is also a Cateye) before it starts recording any distance or speed. The Sigma also has temperature display, which I thought of as a gimmick to be tolerated at first but has proved quite useful.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #11 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:37:49 pm »
I've always opted for the wired versions. Very rarely are the contacts a problem (and easily sorted when they are) whereas wireless means two batteries to fret about.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #12 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:52:26 pm »
And I have a Cateye wireless model which works fine but needs waking up (like Kim's, though I don't know if hers is also a Cateye) before it starts recording any distance or speed.

My wireless one that needs waking up is a Bontranger Node.  It's a pretty decent (if somewhat complicated) computer, but it's quite irritating having to move the wheel and the cranks in order to wake the sensors (Wahoo accelerometer-based Ant+ things) and then prod to computer to wake up and detect them every time you set off.  It's a compromise for doing speed and cadence on a speed-oriented recumbent where cable runs would be long and mounting a magnetic cadence sensor anywhere near the crank would require significant extra scaffolding.

Not the sort of thing the OP is looking for.

« Reply #13 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:55:13 pm »
I think I run a cat eye Miti 5, which is a wired sensor with distance, time, average, max and cadence. The reason for think is that it has been on the tourer and the fixie for almost 20 years!! The only issue is that the contact between the mount and the head has corroded slightly so it is a bit fussy about getting a reading if you knock the head and rotate it.

I've always opted for the wired versions. Very rarely are the contacts a problem (and easily sorted when they are) whereas wireless means two batteries to fret about.

Same here I think I have had to replace one battery in 20 years.

The more recent one is, I think, an 8 as it has two trip meters, time, average, max, cadence and auto start/stop. It is on the best bike and has worked faultlessly for 6 years.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #14 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:55:51 pm »
Ah, the Cateye's not that complicated; you just need to press the button (it only has one) to wake it up otherwise it ignores the fact that you're riding. Still not the sort of thing the OP's looking for though, I think.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #15 on: 12 June, 2017, 04:57:22 pm »
The Sigma I've got is not good for battery life. It lasts about 12-18 months. I used to have a similar but simpler Sigma (no cadence) on which the battery lasted much longer.

« Reply #16 on: 12 June, 2017, 05:01:24 pm »
I have Cateye Velo (sorry not sure of the exact model) wireless across three bikes and find them pretty much faultless*

*unless you use something other than a coin to open the battery cover in which case it gets mangled.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

« Reply #17 on: 12 June, 2017, 05:12:47 pm »
Ah, the Cateye's not that complicated; you just need to press the button (it only has one) to wake it up otherwise it ignores the fact that you're riding. Still not the sort of thing the OP's looking for though, I think.
The Cateyes I run can be set to 'Auto' mode, which means they start doing their thing when they detect wheel movement. This is perfect as it means I never have to touch it, other than for zeroing the trip distance.
Rust never sleeps

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 12 June, 2017, 05:15:53 pm »
The Cateyes I run can be set to 'Auto' mode, which means they start doing their thing when they detect wheel movement. This is perfect as it means I never have to touch it, other than for zeroing the trip distance.

That's normal for wired computers, but are there wireless ones that work that way?  Presumably it would seriously impact battery life, having to keep the receiver active.

« Reply #19 on: 12 June, 2017, 05:27:10 pm »
but are there wireless ones that work that way?
I have only had one wireless computer, and that was back in 1998.  It self started by having a crude accelerometer in the head unit - a ball bearing in a tube.  It rattled so I did not keep it long.  I've used only wired ones since.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #20 on: 12 June, 2017, 05:32:58 pm »
You get those as vibration sensors in automatic battery-powered rear lights (combined with a light sensor, so they only switch on when it's dark *and* the bike is in motion).  But the rattling noise is a lot less irritating in a rear light.

dim

« Reply #21 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:49:44 pm »
just buy a used Garmin Edge 500 off ebay for a few pounds (£50-£60 if you are patient)

has basic satnav (breadcrumb), records your rides, shows speed, ave speed, etc etc and a cadence sensor can be added, plus you can hookup to a heartstrap etc etc

I have an edge 1000 but also have the 500 which I use for my daily commutes .... charge with a USB cable and the battery lasts for approx 14 hours

“No great mind has ever existed without a touch of madness.” - Aristotle

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:53:42 pm »
Because obviously a GPS that you have to charge is an ideal backup to a GPS that you can't keep charged while touring(!)

« Reply #23 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:54:48 pm »
And serious answers? Or asking for opinions on non-GPS bike computers beyond you?
I think that Hatler's suggestion is serious. Cateye wired computers (what he linked to) are still made (I recently bought a Velo 9) & work well. The bottom end ones have minimum functions, & there are others with more, up to all you might want on a traditional non-GPS non-mechanical bike computer.

My new Cateye has been in use for a couple of months & so far has worked perfectly.

I also have an old Sigma bike computer, & if they're still made (I think they are) I'm sure that one would also be fine. I've had two others in the last 20+ years & was happy with both.
"A woman on a bicycle has all the world before her where to choose; she can go where she will, no man hindering." The Type-Writer Girl, 1897

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 12 June, 2017, 07:57:27 pm »
Not sure that "£50-£60 if you are patient" is everyone's idea of a few pounds, either.