Author Topic: Audax newbie - Trying for an SR in a calendar month?  (Read 989 times)

Audax newbie - Trying for an SR in a calendar month?
« on: 18 June, 2017, 10:33:40 pm »
Hi all,

I've just discovered Audax after getting back into cycling just over ayear ago (stopped cycling when I got a car license).  I've done a few Sportives but I like the challenge and self-sufficiency of Audax much more.

After doing the New Forest 200 in May to test the waters, I decided to jump in the deep end and see if I could do an SR in a calendar month.   

I started with the Wondefully Wessex 300 on 10th of June - a lovely ride and easier than I thought for my first 300 (my previous best was a 233km ride I did myself down to Portland Bill near Weymouth).  Many thanks to Postie for organising that one!

Next up was the Avalon 400 this weekend.  The start was in a great location and my first night ride which I really enjoyed and a lovely warm day.  I did find it tough going after the first 100km, not sure if it was fatigue from the 300 the previous week or the bidy packing in after being up all night.  Even with some bidy issues I did finish just an hour longer than my estimate.  Again thanks to Jamie for organising it.

Next up is the Pendle 600... I entered this as it was in a convinient spot in the calendar without looking too much into it... after doing more research and watching the you tube vids I'm now officially crapping myself.  I'm confident I can do the distance.... just not in to time limit given the hills.  We shall see!

If I survive the Pendle I'll find a nice 200 to round of the series on the weekend of the 8/9th of July (or a perm during the week?) which should round out the SR.

Matt

Chris S

Re: Audax newbie - Trying for an SR in a calendar month?
« Reply #1 on: 18 June, 2017, 10:56:41 pm »
Lordy! Have fun with that!

Sounds like you have the "Fuck it, I'll just do it" attitude that'll carry you through.

I've not ridden the Pendle, but having now acquainted myself with the kind of terrain it visits - well, y'know, enjoy the scenery at least!