Author Topic: Bivvy bags  (Read 7804 times)

Bivvy bags
« on: 23 June, 2017, 08:01:42 pm »
I am after a bivvy bag.  After speaking to Bus Shelter Bertie he recommended an Alpkit Hunka.  They are now sold out and no restock until August.  Ideally want one just in case for my planned 600 in July and LEL.  Any advice/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

Re: Bivvy bags
« Reply #1 on: 23 June, 2017, 09:10:25 pm »
Depends what you want to use the bag for.

Emergency foil bags are ok if you need to sleep somewhere, and as it's summer, one of them should get you out of trouble. Most camping shops have them and they're cheap. I've found one helpful in 600s when I've had the dozies really bad.

If you want to go for the whole wild camping / bivvy experience, they're not what you need though. I have an Alpkit Hunka for that sort of thing - I'd recommend that too, so it's a shame they're out of stock.

« Reply #2 on: 24 June, 2017, 10:00:48 am »
I am after a bivvy bag.  After speaking to Bus Shelter Bertie he recommended an Alpkit Hunka.  They are now sold out and no restock until August.  Ideally want one just in case for my planned 600 in July and LEL.  Any advice/recommendations? Thanks in advance.

You shouldn't need it for LEL.  Just make sure as you leave each control that you have the wherewithal to reach the next one (which is easier to say than do)

« Reply #3 on: 24 June, 2017, 11:31:29 am »
Hunka is way overkill for lel. A SOL emergency bivvy is only 110g Vs 500g for my hunka XL. The sol is reusable and comes with a stuff sack. Description here, but if you shop around they are about £13. No brainer to carry at that weight / size / price

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/practical/VE104.html

Sent from my Lenovo P2a42 using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: 25 June, 2017, 11:35:28 am »
I have a Rab Storm Bivy.  Bit more expensive that the Alpkit but I think around the
same size.  I was going for an Alpkit one but was permanently out of stock.

« Reply #5 on: 25 June, 2017, 12:42:26 pm »
Thanks for the advice, the emergency bivvy looks ideal!

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #6 on: 25 June, 2017, 08:35:49 pm »
the alpkit hunka comes up on ebay fairly regularly, they tend to go for about £50
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

hillbilly

« Reply #7 on: 26 June, 2017, 11:44:49 am »
Personally I think bivvy bags are more than required for AUK events in the summer.  I have an Alpkit Hunka and despite carrying it several times it remains largely unused mid-June to late-August.

Instead, at this time of year I find the following combination flexible for X/perm events of 400km+ where I sleep from 2am to 4/5am.  A sleeping mat (I have an inflatable Alpkit one that has a low pack size but anything that provides insulation against the ground will do, such as bubblewrap or foam cut to size), a lightweight sleeping bag (I have a cotton liner I use in high summer, but a simple one season bag might also do) and a survival blanket "just in case" the temperature dips.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #8 on: 26 June, 2017, 12:05:26 pm »

You shouldn't need it for LEL.  Just make sure as you leave each control that you have the wherewithal to reach the next one (which is easier to say than do)
(As I think I wrote in the thread about packing light:)

Sometimes you reach a control, and the biggest bloke on the ride has been sat shivering there for 5 hours.

Telling people to pack as light as possible, or that certain kit is unnecessary in July, doesn't help in that situation.

/granny_matt

It's all a compromise - best to take what makes you happy, IMHO :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

hillbilly

« Reply #9 on: 26 June, 2017, 01:16:48 pm »
(and a simple rule - try to avoid testing out something for the first time on a 1,400km ride)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #10 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:17:42 am »
I'm looking at bivvy bags at the moment, specifically with the Scottish 1k in mind next May.

The Hunka seems a popular choice but what do you do to keep the weather out?

A friend has the Outdoor Research Helium, which is fully enclosed, but he reckons the zip is crap and he has trouble making the arch stay upright.

Any other recommendations? I've got a lightweight solo tent but it's still not as light as a bivvy bag would be, and would be more faff to put up and take down than I want on a ride like that.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #11 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:24:33 am »
I'm looking at bivvy bags at the moment, specifically with the Scottish 1k in mind next May.

The Hunka seems a popular choice but what do you do to keep the weather out?

A friend has the Outdoor Research Helium, which is fully enclosed, but he reckons the zip is crap and he has trouble making the arch stay upright.

Any other recommendations? I've got a lightweight solo tent but it's still not as light as a bivvy bag would be, and would be more faff to put up and take down than I want on a ride like that.

Pull the cord tight and lie on your side. In really bad weather you want to be searching for some sort of shelter anyway.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #12 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:26:29 am »
Pull the cord tight and lie on your side.

Hardcore!  ;D
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Chris N

« Reply #13 on: 05 October, 2017, 12:00:59 pm »
Scotland, May?  Midge net.

whosatthewheel

« Reply #14 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:19:48 pm »

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #15 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:55:21 pm »
A fully enclosed bivvy would get a lot of moisture inside. None of these "breathable" fabrics can really cope with all of the moisture in your breath. So best to leave an opening to breath through.

Also a real risk of carbon dioxide poisoning. https://www.alpkit.com/develop/bivvy-bag-development

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #16 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:20:29 pm »
Pull the cord tight and lie on your side. In really bad weather you want to be searching for some sort of shelter anyway.

But only your head needs to be covered — your feet are in a waterproof bag anyway, you're just trying to stop water coming in the opening.  It's possible to knock together a tiny tarp weighing 50g or so, just to cover your head, or simply tie your waterproof jacket across your bike, laid down, and stick your head under.

I carried a Hunka + liner + ultralight mat + inflatable pillow on PBP and LEL and used them both events.  Several times on PBP, once on LEL.  Never in the rain, though, and mostly on the Hunka rather than in it.  For big events where sleeping out is a definite then I take a Hunka XL + 1-season bag + basha/tarp.  I'll be carrying something bivvy-like on TINAT 400 next year.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #17 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:22:07 pm »
Hunka is way overkill for lel. A SOL emergency bivvy is only 110g Vs 500g for my hunka XL. The sol is reusable and comes with a stuff sack. Description here, but if you shop around they are about £13. No brainer to carry at that weight / size / price

I tried a SOL emergency bag once on Tomsk's Flatliner 600 perm — I was woken up in less than an hour with condensation dripping off the inside of the bag onto my face.  It's almost not worth using it for anything more than a groundsheet, unless you really are in a survival situation.
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #18 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:29:26 pm »
A fully enclosed bivvy would get a lot of moisture inside. None of these "breathable" fabrics can really cope with all of the moisture in your breath. So best to leave an opening to breath through.

Also a real risk of carbon dioxide poisoning. https://www.alpkit.com/develop/bivvy-bag-development
I had a 3-layer goretex bag and didn't get loads of condensation on the inside, even with it zipped right up. Sold it, wish I hadn't now.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:09:03 pm »

But only your head needs to be covered — your feet are in a waterproof bag anyway, you're just trying to stop water coming in the opening.  It's possible to knock together a tiny tarp weighing 50g or so, just to cover your head, or simply tie your waterproof jacket across your bike, laid down, and stick your head under.

I'm a bit of a Bivvy lightweight/newbie so far. Haven't used mine in the rain (although I have used it near 0'c); an Alpkit Hunka. It worked perfectly well in warm-ish Autumn Belgium and 'king freezing Spring Malverns.
SO anyway, 99% of my "knowledge" comes from The Book Of The Bivvy, which is such a good (and funny) read that I choose to believe everything in it:

The author suggests trying to use your bivvy in conjunction with some "shelter"; this could just be a dry stone wall. If you get downwind this will keep a LOT of water off you, especially your head. In most UK roadside situations you will be able to find even better shelter (assuming you haven't collapsed on the spot, can't ride another inch!).

Overall, his philosophy is that you MIGHT get caught in conditions where you end up wetter-n-colder than you planned, but this is so rare it is worth the gamble of taking so much less kit with you. And the next night will be better, if it's not you get a hotel where you can dry everything out :)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

IJL

« Reply #20 on: 06 October, 2017, 08:33:46 am »
I have an alpkit Hunka and it seems good quality for the price and the XL version has plenty of room for my 6 foot frame.  I haven't used it on an audax and I  bought it for some lightweight camping trips.  The bivvy bag would certainly make those shivery but shelter naps a lot better, then again if you have a bus shelter you might be better with a down jacket or even one of the ultralight sleeping bags.  it's the choice between light and fast and being less so. 

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #21 on: 08 October, 2017, 09:20:24 pm »
Not a fan of bivi bags at all, so I take a tent. I don't find the extra weight a problem and I get a lovely nights sleep anywhere there's a patch of secluded grass, even if it's raining.

« Reply #22 on: 09 October, 2017, 08:18:30 am »
British army bivy. Excellent piece of kit. I know its a wee bit heavier and can pick up at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #23 on: 09 October, 2017, 09:05:15 am »
Not a fan of bivi bags at all, so I take a tent. I don't find the extra weight a problem and I get a lovely nights sleep anywhere there's a patch of secluded grass, even if it's raining.
What tent do you use? I assume you take a sleeping bag too. Could you fit them both in a bar bag?

Eddington  127miles, 170km

Morat

• I tried to HTFU but something went ping :(
« Reply #24 on: 09 October, 2017, 10:41:19 am »
British army bivy. Excellent piece of kit. I know its a wee bit heavier and can pick up at a reasonable price.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

+1
Everyone's favourite windbreak