Author Topic: If you can fix a bicycle...  (Read 7326 times)

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
Re: If you can fix a bicycle...
« Reply #25 on: 30 June, 2017, 10:19:55 am »
In oil and gas drilling terms it would be a "kick" as the dissolved gas comes out of solution as the pressure is lowered up the drill string, and becomes an ever expanding ever accelerating bubble of gas.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #26 on: 30 June, 2017, 11:30:11 am »
I guess that's the sort of error that may have enabled a container ship to take out one of the US Navy's finest warships.

What's more, if anyone needs to have another go this could be useful information to have:

Preliminary analysis indicates the collision occurred where the ship’s communication nodes are housed and the official said the crew had to resort to using satellite based cell phones to communicate both on board and back to shore.

Lucky they hadn't forgotten to keep the batteries charged.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #27 on: 01 July, 2017, 08:37:32 pm »
Depending on the, er, violence of the toilet explosion, it might count as a BLEVE of sorts?

« Reply #28 on: 04 July, 2017, 02:09:41 pm »
because what's 45 degrees when you're really just cannon fodder.
I had cranks at 135 degrees one time, at least as far as offering the crank up to the BB axle.

My LH TA Zephyr crank had broken at the pedal threads, so I rang up the shop (Spa, iirc) for a new one. "Out of production," they said "we don't have any". On discussion, the closest equivalent was a Carmina crank, so I ordered one.
You'd have thought that the same manufacturer would make the square taper the same way round on the replacement model, but no.
At least I hadn't put the crank bolt in, so it was good to go back.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #29 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:30:28 am »
Depending on the, er, violence of the toilet explosion, it might count as a BLEVE of sorts?

I hope no combustion was involved  :o
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #30 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:43:17 pm »
Yeah, those things have nearly as many unpleasant failure modes as a Saniflo...

I spotted the talk of submarine toilets on this thread last week but was away from home and couldn’t face trying to write my contribution on the phone. So here it is now a week overdue.

For many decades now RN submarines have had two methods of emptying their waste tanks, pumping or blowing.  Pumping is much preferred as blowing can be problematic in the following way:

Just over ten years ago while at sea on an unspecified (but now decommissioned) submarine we were having to regularly blow our waste tanks on account of a defective sewage pump.

So just as we had done for several nights before we lined up to ‘blow doms’.  This involved shutting off every valve connecting a waste pipe to the domestic tanks before pressurising the tanks above sea pressure and opening the sewage hull valve.

On is occasion things didn’t go as planned.  As the sewage tank came up to pressure an isolating valve connected to the heads (navy speak for toilets) on 1 deck just off the Control Room failed. The result was a spectacular shit fountain as the sewage tank emptied itself through the head. 

Very quickly the Control Room filled up with sewage, I was sat at a fire control desk with a torpedo tube bow cap open, I couldn’t stand down from this position until the bow cap was shut.  All I could do was lift my legs as the jobbies floated past. 

As the sewage started flowing into the Wardroom the XO (second in command) came in and ordered a bow up (angle of the boat), this sent the sewage into the CO’s Cabin so he countered be ordering a bow down.  All of this continued until the Chief Stoker appeared, launched himself into the fountain and isolated the head.

Anyway by this time the stuff had gotten everywhere, down the periscope mast wells, down pipe conduits, into the galley and messes below on 2 deck.  Needless to say we went alongside for a good clean up.