Author Topic: Shim Stock  (Read 2775 times)

Shim Stock
« on: 08 July, 2017, 07:39:30 pm »
I've just bought some 25mm id bearings to fit a 25mm shaft and the bearings are about 0.1mm larger than the shaft.  Can anyone think of a suitable material that would work to shim the difference?

A turn of insulting tape is too much, Two layers of latex gloves are the right thickness but are too elastic.  I think it does need to be non compressible.  The application is not high speed or high load I just need a snug (sliding) fit.

I know I could buy (shudder) something or use Loctite 641 but would rather source a readily available material.  I'm not inclined to destroy my feeler gauges either.

Thanks

R

Re: Shim Stock
« Reply #1 on: 08 July, 2017, 07:58:47 pm »
Alu drinks can?

« Reply #2 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:37:20 pm »
Alu drinks can?

I don't have one to hand but I suspect that cans are a good bit thicker than 0.5mm.

« Reply #3 on: 08 July, 2017, 10:45:33 pm »
IME they vary.  Coca cola cans are very thin.

iddu

• Are we there yet?
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #5 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:15:56 pm »
Tinfoil. N wraps.

Tin foil - good idea, what are N wraps?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:17:24 pm »
Wrap N times for required packing thickness...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #7 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:22:07 pm »
>I've just bought some 25mm id bearings to fit a 25mm shaft and the bearings are about 0.1mm larger than the shaft.

Because what's not in spec?  Shaft worn, or bearing ID wrong? You know the correct answer to the latter issue...

« Reply #8 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:55:21 pm »
Alu drinks can?

I don't have one to hand but I suspect that cans are a good bit thicker than 0.5mm.

Off the top of my head, they're generally about 0.1mm (at least to the accuracy needed to shim seatposts or handlebars), but I think you meant they'll be thicker than 0.05mm ...

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #9 on: 08 July, 2017, 11:58:47 pm »
Alu drinks can?

Maybe.  Depending on source product, wall thickness could be down to ~0.01mm, but the issue at that level is the non-metallic can linings or adehesives (cf: tape ^^^), where the compressibility thereof may stuff over your incompressibilty requirement.  So you're back to tinfoil...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:10:29 am »
How do you fit a bearing to a shaft shimmed with tinfoil (or frankly, anything of that thickness) without tearing the tinfoil?

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #11 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:15:00 am »
You're not supposed to bring problems to the solution ;D

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #12 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:17:41 am »
>Can anyone think of a suitable material that would work to shim the difference?

Whisky bottle seals [hic ;)]  - in the interests of SCIENCE and the need to assist,  I can state they vary from 0.05mm up :thumbsup:

« Reply #13 on: 09 July, 2017, 12:30:12 am »
In the further interests of SCIENCE:

Fizzy wine (actually a Cremant de Loire) capsule - 0.06mm
Diet coke can - 0.09mm
Lindt chocolate foil - 0.02mm

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star

« Reply #15 on: 10 July, 2017, 09:41:38 am »
I tried aluminium foil folded 3 times and it was OK to fit (sufficient stiffness) but I think needs a 4th fold at least.

I think I have some of that sticky aluminium foil from when I had dealings with A/C people so I'll dig it out and try that.

Thanks all for your help.

« Reply #16 on: 13 July, 2017, 03:30:53 pm »
I would suggest using epoxy resin.

If necessary a filler can be added. If it comprises particles of a size that is just a little smaller than the clearance, it will help centre the shaft within the bearing accurately.

For example glass beads are used in golf club shaft bonding; (search on e-bay for 'shafting beads').  However the size of those beads may be a bit large for what you want.

I think stuff like JB weld has a filler already in it; that might work for you...?

cheers

« Reply #17 on: 13 July, 2017, 03:40:26 pm »
Russell,
I have to ask.
Is this for your Frankendiscsander?

« Reply #18 on: 13 July, 2017, 05:13:48 pm »
Russell,
I have to ask.

No it isn't.  That got put on hold - if only I didn't have to work I could finish these things.  No, the bearings and shaft are for a Matthias Wandell bandsaw, it's a long term project, I'm collecting parts as I can.

« Reply #19 on: 13 July, 2017, 05:35:18 pm »
Russell,
I have to ask.

No it isn't.  That got put on hold - if only I didn't have to work I could finish these things.  No, the bearings and shaft are for a Matthias Wandell bandsaw, it's a long term project, I'm collecting parts as I can.
In the interests of breathing a sigh of relief, that you still have the pre-requisite number of digits, I think we can call that a result  :P

If none of us had to work, I think we'd yield much more interesting stuffs, than time otherwise allows.
Perhaps this is for our own wellbeing  ;)

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #20 on: 16 July, 2017, 02:16:55 pm »
As a shirker of low work ethic, I can confirm to the panel that after I began to shun work I've become too busy to actually go to work.