Author Topic: Rail ticket machines  (Read 2438 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Rail ticket machines
« on: 11 July, 2017, 02:23:54 pm »
My local station is manned Mon-Sat 6am-1pm. I went there at 5pm on Saturday and the machine was out of order to the extent that it wasn't accepting cards or contactless - cash only. My ticket was £10.70 so I bunged a £20 in the machine. The ticket appeared promptly enough, but no change.

I went to the station this morning and spoke to the guy behind the counter. "Yes, when I emptied the machine yesterday morning, there seemed to be a big surplus in there", said he. He gave me a complaints/comments form (I had already done this online on Saturday whilst on the train to London). I have reclaimed my £9.30, but it crossed my mind that I ought to charge them a penalty of £20 for failing to offer my change on demand.

I wonder how many ticket machines make a surplus like this? I bet that not many people go back afterwards for their change, especially if it is a small amount. Quite often, machines don't display the cheapest available tickets either, so it's quite a scam for the unsuspecting traveling public.

But a lesson learned. If the machine is out of order, don't buy a ticket until you see a human who can sell you one.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Rail ticket machines
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:35:09 pm »
That's the only time I've heard of a TVM even accepting cash.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ben T

« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2017, 02:50:11 pm »
The other thing that's a scam is them presenting tickets for "london Midland only" (in small print) then when you're coming back it's a virgin train doing exactly the same route and you've got to buy a whole new ticket.
A problem of non cooperation between competing companies where the victim is the passenger, a problem that nationalisation would remove entirely.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:13:18 pm »
The other thing that's a scam is them presenting tickets for "london Midland only" (in small print) then when you're coming back it's a virgin train doing exactly the same route and you've got to buy a whole new ticket.

It's not exactly the same, though.  On the Mordor Central to Euston journey the Virign route has fewer stops and is much faster, so it doesn't seem unreasonable for that ticket to be more expensive, even if both trains were run by the same company.  Even in civilised countries it's normal to have special tickets for the high-speed intercity trains that the slower regional ticket isn't valid on.

The problem comes when you want to travel from, say, Coventry to Mordor Central, where the difference is less obvious...

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:27:23 pm »
Also be aware that a train painted in eg Virgin colours might not actually be a Virgin train, as TOCs loan rolling stock (and, I think, drivers if necessary) to each other to deal with shortfalls.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Ben T

« Reply #5 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:43:18 pm »

It's not exactly the same, though.  On the Mordor Central to Euston journey the Virign route has fewer stops and is much faster, so it doesn't seem unreasonable for that ticket to be more expensive, even if both trains were run by the same company.  Even in civilised countries it's normal to have special tickets for the high-speed intercity trains that the slower regional ticket isn't valid on.

The problem comes when you want to travel from, say, Coventry to Mordor Central, where the difference is less obvious...

Yes but if I've put in London as my destination, it knows I don't need to go on the one that stops at all the little villages. I get the concept, I just personally think that deliberately going on a slower train to save money is an act rare enough to be worthy of an "are you sure", unless it's in your best interest that the customer buys the wrong ticket...
It's actually slightly more of a con that it actually let me on the virgin one on the way as there was nobody checking tickets, but then bam, guards checking on the way back -  by which time my case for an instant "bought by mistake" refund is a lot less strong, as I've used the outbound portion.

ian

« Reply #6 on: 11 July, 2017, 03:44:38 pm »
If the machine doesn't work I've mostly just not bought a ticket and sorted it out at the other end (if there's anyone at the other end, if not I walk away with a clean conscience). No one has ever quibbled (though I do usually take a picture of the offending machine). In the old days they used to have those 'permit to travel machines' that sold you a nominally priced 'ticket' I guess to show willingness to pay. I haven't seen one recently.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #7 on: 11 July, 2017, 04:13:42 pm »
It was only a short time ago that my local station dispensed with the permit to travel machine.

The ticket clerk this morning told me an interesting anecdote about a "druggie" who had found out how to disable the card-reader and also blocked the change dispenser. When the passenger had bought the ticket and failed to retrieve their change, in the chap would come and mop up.

I still wonder what happens to the unclaimed surpluses in ticket machines.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #8 on: 13 July, 2017, 04:57:15 pm »
I have contacted Greater Anglia and I understand that a cheque is in the post.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #9 on: 18 July, 2017, 03:56:06 pm »
The cheque has arrived, and with it evidence of the interchangeability of GA's anus & olecranon process.

In this instance, the cash in the machine was found to have a surplus balance with the tickets issued. IN these circumstances please find the enclosed cheque for £10.70, which is a full refund on the change you did not receive.

Brief recap: my ticket cost £10.70. I should have received £9.30 in change.

« Reply #10 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:02:44 pm »
The cheque has arrived, and with it evidence of the interchangeability of GA's anus & olecranon process.

In this instance, the cash in the machine was found to have a surplus balance with the tickets issued. IN these circumstances please find the enclosed cheque for £10.70, which is a full refund on the change you did not receive.

Brief recap: my ticket cost £10.70. I should have received £9.30 in change.

So you'll be writing a cheque for GA to the value of £1.40. Yes?  :P

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #11 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:15:20 pm »
I think I might put it in the beer fund.

« Reply #12 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:25:23 pm »
A well considered investment.
Cheers!

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #13 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:27:01 pm »
And a lesson learned: never put cash in a ticket machine.

« Reply #14 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:34:29 pm »
I have an unused return half of a ticket from Whitstable to Crofton Park (my local station).
A small part of me is tempted to put the ticket into a cash machine to see what will happen.... oh...

αdαmsκι

• Instagram @ucfaaay Strava @ucfaaay
  • Look haggard. It sells.
« Reply #15 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:39:04 pm »
I have an unused return half of a ticket from Whitstable to Crofton Park (my local station).
A small part of me is tempted to put the ticket into a cash machine to see what will happen.... oh...

I'd be happy to use that on Monday. ;) It'd give me an excuse to ride to Whitstable as a final pre LEL pootle.
What on earth am I doing here on this beautiful day?! This is the only life I've got!!

https://tyredandhungry.wordpress.com/

« Reply #16 on: 18 July, 2017, 04:55:53 pm »
You would be welcome to it - however, it expires on July 23rd - so not of much use to you if you are riding on Monday.

But, but, but.....despair not... I'm going to Whitstable by train this Saturday possibly returning on Sunday evening - I generally get to keep an unsullied return half on this route. If I did that, you'd be welcome to that return half.
I'd also need to give you my Network Rail card (which is fine, as I'm currently in possession of two valid ones because touchscreen incompetence) as my tix was bought using one of these and as luck would have it the tix inspector will ask to see it.
We'd just need to make a fairly late call (once I know whether my return tix has been clipped or not) on the Sunday before we arrange an RV.
Assuming all of the above makes sense and works for you....

Or to keep it simpler, ride to Whitstable on or before Sunday - far easier to sort that out.
ETA - Or ride back from Whitstable - therefore you've no need for a tix.

arabella

• عربللا
  • onwendeð wyrda gesceaft weoruld under heofonum
« Reply #17 on: 23 July, 2017, 09:28:30 pm »
While we're on the general subject of railway tickets, the panel may be interested to hear that I haven't yet found the correct combination of whims to persuade the on line do-dahs to sell me a ticket from Ipswich to Finsbury Park except going via central London and out again (even if I tell it I want to go via Cambridge).  The not-via-central-London option is £20 or so cheaper .... 2 separate tickets Ips-Cambr and Cambr-FiPk here I come.
Any fool can admire a mountain.  It takes real discernment to appreciate the fens.