Author Topic: [LEL17] My gear checklist, feel free to copy or comment  (Read 11218 times)

mr ben

• Some routes may be arduous.
    • ramblings and randonees
Re: My gear checklist, feel free to copy or comment
« Reply #25 on: 17 July, 2017, 07:28:03 pm »
Thanks this is very useful for my own list-making.

...   Sports watch with time and day of the week (not just date)

I was just thinking the same this morning - I can definitely imagine losing track of what day it is.
Think it possible that you may be mistaken.

« Reply #26 on: 17 July, 2017, 07:50:04 pm »
I'm sure the good folk at the controls will provide that information. I recall putting a big sign at Brampton to help riders keep track of what day it was.

Interesting that less folk seem to be wearing watches these days and appear to rely on their phone.

« Reply #27 on: 17 July, 2017, 10:11:52 pm »
We were doing it anyway, but I thought I'd channel Flavor Flav, for that taste of 1989, remember to 'Do the Right Thing'.

« Reply #28 on: 17 July, 2017, 10:18:43 pm »
My eyes, my eyes ...

« Reply #29 on: 18 July, 2017, 08:37:42 am »
We were doing it anyway, but I thought I'd channel Flava Flav, for that taste of 1989, remember to 'Do the Right Thing'.

Yo! Bum Rush The Control  ;D

« Reply #30 on: 18 July, 2017, 09:14:48 am »
I watched a film about the Deloitte 'Ride Across Britain', and I was thinking how that differed from LEL, and Audax in general.
The main difference is the awareness of time. The RAB, as it calls it itself, does 100 miles a day, covering a similar distance LEL in twice the number of days. The general condition of the participants  seems about the same. Audax is about time as much as it is about distance, that's what appealed to the founders of AUK, who were 24 hour time triallists.

« Reply #31 on: 18 July, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »
We were doing it anyway, but I thought I'd channel Flavor Flav, for that taste of 1989, remember to 'Do the Right Thing'.

Brilliant  ;D :thumbsup: 8)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #32 on: 19 July, 2017, 11:46:55 pm »
and a few of the thin rubber "exam gloves", for repair work involving greasy chains, oozing tire sealant, etc., unless you're just going to wipe your hands on your shorts and be off

« Reply #33 on: 24 July, 2017, 10:06:10 am »
ISTR  that the blankets in controls are similar to those used by Pickfords (other furniture removal and storage companies are available) and if you have sensitive skin, you will be itching all night long.
I will be packing my silk sleeping bag liner.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 24 July, 2017, 01:01:07 pm »
and a few of the thin rubber "exam gloves", for repair work involving greasy chains, oozing tire sealant, etc., unless you're just going to wipe your hands on your shorts and be off

Alternative approach: Wet-wipes that are rated for removing eye makeup.  (For those not in the know, eye makeup appears to be made of chain gunge.)

« Reply #35 on: 25 July, 2017, 09:25:55 am »
Reading the FAQ the controls have towels. So you could save some weight on the bike or drop bag. But i'll probably bring a microfiber one just in case.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #36 on: 15 August, 2017, 01:17:54 pm »
Did anyone go through their list after the ride and check off the things they didn't need or wouldn't have needed had they known?  It's something I've always meant to do but never have.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

« Reply #37 on: 16 August, 2017, 05:03:28 pm »
I know that I put too much in my bag drops which led to a lot of faffing and deciding what to take or leave.
I left -sun cream , warm gilet, thick waterproof gloves , spare jersey and camera. I almost regretted leaving the warm gilet, a Rohan Icepack, but on balance ,the majority of the control buildings were warm enough.
I dumped a lot of gear at Barnard Castle and despite the weather, I was never cold, due, I think, to having a decent jacket-Montane Stormrider , a Sealskins semi waterproof cap and thin woollen liner gloves (worn as normal gloves at night).
 I had experienced similar conditions two weeks earlier on the Border Raid 600 and I live oop north.YMMV.

The gear  that I carried in my saddlebag was all used quite often and meant that my sleep stops weren't tied to bag drops.
Silk sleeping bag liner, merino base layer and merino skull cap (kept dry for sleeping in) , wash kit(tooth brush and paste,shower gel,  mouth wash, arse cream etc.), three quarter length shorts  for night time riding, dry socks (as well as 2 inner tubes, multitool, levers , pump etc).

« Reply #38 on: 28 September, 2017, 08:59:32 am »
A rather involved post on the intricacies of kit  :facepalm: All written down so I can look it in four years time.

https://audaxery.wordpress.com/2017/09/06/lel-further-thoughts-training-kit-next-time-etc/

« Reply #39 on: 28 September, 2017, 09:38:13 am »
A rather involved post on the intricacies of kit  :facepalm: All written down so I can look it in four years time.
Thank you for sharing, even with the early 'WC' focus. "Bike, clothing and gear to take are a bog deal on a long bike ride."
Alotronic - I think it would be good to cross post this in the 'blog roll' thread.

« Reply #40 on: 29 September, 2017, 08:47:59 am »
That would have to be the 'Bog Roll' thread though right?! Thanks for pointing that one out, will  amend....

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #41 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:17:25 am »
Did anyone go through their list after the ride and check off the things they didn't need or wouldn't have needed had they known?  It's something I've always meant to do but never have.

I'm happy to say that I didn't need any of the tools or spares that I was carrying - but I'm sure I would have had I not had them  ;)

Clothing I tried to keep simple.  I had three changes of shorts/base layer/ jersey/ socks / mitts and cap in the drop bags at Pocklington and Edinburgh.  I carried a pair of full leg bib shorts, a warm top, full finger gloves and a wind jacket, plus a couple of spare pairs of socks, with me in the saddlebag.  I had one unused pair of socks and an unused pair of road mitts at the end. I think everything else did get pressed into service at some point.

As with the tools, the medical kit went untouched. Obviously, the toiletries were used as necessary, but they had also been kept to the bare minimum (showering at a hotel in Edinburgh helped).  I had rechargable battery packs for the phone and Garmin and a plug in charger to top them up when required.

I had cached some food in the drop bags too. Most of that got munched along the way but I'd bought some protein flapjacks that turned out to be so revolting that only a small part of one was eaten.

With hindsight, as the weather was fine on the first and second days, I probably didn't need to change at Pocklington northbound but, again, I wouldn't want to have taken that chance.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #42 on: 29 September, 2017, 11:10:58 am »
Sounds wise, Redlight.
Shame about the protein flapjack! The top of my rolling shopping list is a reminder that *** protein bars are VILE, DO NOT BUY...

« Reply #43 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:05:50 pm »
Redlight: You said: "with me in the saddlebag". Can you tell us what make/size that bag was please?

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #44 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:21:01 pm »
Redlight: You said: "with me in the saddlebag". Can you tell us what make/size that bag was please?

;D ;D ;D

Here's a comma,

« Reply #45 on: 29 September, 2017, 03:33:43 pm »

;D ;D ;D

Here's a comma,

It's not so much the fitting of  himself in the saddlebag - it's a carradice after all - it's how he managed to pedal from there that has me in awe.

« Reply #46 on: 29 September, 2017, 08:14:43 pm »
I had cached some food in the drop bags too. Most of that got munched along the way but I'd bought some protein flapjacks that turned out to be so revolting that only a small part of one was eaten.

I did something before a ride and popped into a low-cost supermarket and purchased something that was awful.

Since then I always ensure I either have my favourites (planning!) or I try one before packing them away only to find YAK!

I suppose it's all about PPPPPP

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #47 on: 29 September, 2017, 08:31:12 pm »

It was the limited edition Carradice Hermione Grainger long flap. It's larger on the inside than on the outside, which meant that I was able to stretch out on my double bed and sleep peacefully while my petronus sat on the bike and did all the pedalling.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #48 on: 29 September, 2017, 10:03:27 pm »
"It's larger on the inside than on the outside" Must be one of those Tardis things then.

"while my petronus sat on the bike and did all the pedalling". Is that what they are calling them these days, although I suppose 'balls' is a bit rude.