Author Topic: Gladestry 2017  (Read 1408 times)

JayP

• You must be joking
Gladestry 2017
« on: 02 August, 2017, 11:31:42 am »
'Summer' this year is forecast to occur on Saturday  August 5th in Gladestry. What luck!  :D
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648616

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
Re: Gladestry 2017
« Reply #1 on: 02 August, 2017, 07:00:16 pm »
15 degrees forecast for Rhayader so about 11-12 on the mountain roads, worth a brrrrrrr! 

I'll be ECEing the Saturday 100k if my cough finally clears.

« Reply #2 on: 02 August, 2017, 09:11:53 pm »
I'm in for the Elan & Ystwyth Saturday to finish month 12 of RTTY. Rode the E&Y two years ago and got to be one of my favourite routes. Solo rode the Cambrian 2D perm on Sunday in challenging conditions which shares part of the route, but glad to see Saturday's forecast is much better, so just need to find my sunglasses and factor 15 😎

« Reply #3 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:04:51 am »
Sorry we can't make it this year as recovering from LEL , but hope to be back next year as they are all great routes on nice roads

CountrySickness

• mostly puzzled
« Reply #4 on: 06 August, 2017, 07:13:45 am »
Thanks to Ross for putting these great events on again. Some serious weather around in the morning (the hail in particular left my hands too cold to use my downtube barrel adjusters) and the first pass of the Elenydd to Aber must have been seriously challenging. Sunshine came in the afternoon and I was even hot on my second ECE leg.

Only about 1/3 of the combined field appeared to have started the 2 events, do people sign up for events in the Welsh uplands and expect Mediterranean weather?

« Reply #5 on: 06 August, 2017, 09:38:51 am »
Yes thanks to Ross  :thumbsup:

Riding the Aberystwyth Mountain Road in a heavy hail storm while road was already flowing like a river was interesting but fortunately was short lived.

Return from Aberystwyth in sunshine and tail wind was great, though steep gradients from Rhayader to Arrivee always a good test of the legs.

Not sure anyone else shared the same optical illusion as the stream near the mountain road in my mind appeared to flow uphill (both on the way out and back)  ::-)