Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL2017 bike fails  (Read 16059 times)

Re: LEL2017 bike fails
« Reply #25 on: 04 August, 2017, 05:14:33 pm »
We met in Barney and you told me that story - I remember!  You looked like you were going OK and having fun, sorry to hear you didn't get round and I hope the recovery is quick.

I was having a great time but unfortunately my knee did not enjoy the climb over to Brampton

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #26 on: 04 August, 2017, 05:20:53 pm »
I was one of the mechanic team at Pocklington, along with hulver OTP, who I am sure will add the things he fixed whilst I was asleep.

I saw the following (may be added to when I get rid of sleep deprivation!) ;-)

Broken gear cables  (Campag and Shimano - they're both a bit of a b'stard to get out of the lever when they break inside the body!!)
Gear hangers out of alignment.
Chains needing oil times several hundred after the downpours on Tuesday/Wednesday
At least one destroyed rear mech - one of them was SRAM eTap as well! :-O
Dead Di2 front mech
Gear indexing problems
Tyres needing replacement
Sale of inner tubes x lots!
One tubeless tyre which lost a large chunk - the rider had a spare (good!), we used 3 CO2 cartridges, a pressurised sealant bottle and an ordinary bottle of sealant and couldn't get the tyre to seat! (Bad!!)
An old Luxos U light which had snapped above the mounting hole - fixed with leccy tape and cable ties
Light mounts fixed with tape
Slipping tri-bar taken off, bar wrapped with tape, bar replaced, no longer slipping
Broken crank arm which had been fixed further north with cable ties was further wrapped with ties as the originals were starting to stretch
I single-speeded (single-sped?) one machine with a destroyed rear mech

Tl;dr: A shitload!! ;-)

Sent from my Mobile Phone using Tapatalk
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #27 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:07:07 pm »
Just north of Louth at 3am my chain got stuck between middle and little chain-rings when changing down. I snapped a 3mm allen trying to prise it free. Luckily a kind gentleman pulled over and lent me some needle-nose pliers to get it free.

I've had this (not on LEL - didn't ride) with a new chainset, prising and pliers didn't work, so the only way I could release the chain was to loosen the allen bolts holding the small chain ring on.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #28 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:44:40 pm »
Don't think we had any logs, we were too busy running the control as we didn't have a separate mechanical team. Some of my recollections

We saw a number of STIs where the cable had sheared inside the shifter head. I appreciate they are a pain to get to and check as you then need to reindex the gearing, but it's a surprise how many we had.
At St Ives (so just 100km in) Garry fixed an iffy STI - turned out there was an old cable-end still in the shifter head!

With 1500x1400km you can expect to see pretty much everything happen ...

The first few groups had by far the most p***tures. Record number claimed was 4.
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #29 on: 04 August, 2017, 06:55:28 pm »
I don't know if my bike failed or succeeded.  I took my Harry Hall to Eskdalemuir, where I was a volunteer.  I gave the front wheel to a chap whose dyno-hub bearings had failed.  I can't remember his name, so I don't know if he succeeded.  When I came back from looking after our emergency sleeping accommodation up the road, I discovered that Neil, our main mechanic, had further cannibalised the Harry by removing mudguard stay bolts!  As the Bonzos said, "An honour, sir!"

Peter

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #30 on: 04 August, 2017, 07:00:27 pm »
Don't think we had any logs, we were too busy running the control as we didn't have a separate mechanical team. Some of my recollections

I might be wrong but I think Alain was keeping a log because of a sale-or-return arrangement with a local bike shop for parts.

Were riders told that there would be a mechanic available at all the controls?  We had the odd one who seemed a bit peeved to be told there wasn't anyone around at that precise moment...

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #31 on: 04 August, 2017, 08:09:20 pm »
My seat post snapped at Thirsk on the return.  I had 3 and a  half hours in hand when this happened

It was a carbon post that came with the 2010 model bike.  I had a large (5kg+) saddle bag on a Carradice Sport QR

I couldn't remove the remains of the post with a pair of pliers.  The mechanic was a well meaning stand in guy (sorry I don't remember your name) and didn't have full kit.  It was 11pm so no LBS.  That was the end of LEL for me

At Bikefix in Lamb's Conduit Street they removed the broken bit and put a new post in about 10 minutes.  Thanks to hamm for the pointer to that great bike shop

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #32 on: 04 August, 2017, 08:39:35 pm »
Sorry vorsprung, that was me. Unfortunately the bike shop stuff went home at 10pm, and even then we didn't have a spare seat post. Really annoyingly I almost chucked one in my spares box but forgot it - it was an alloy 27.2! :(

Nice to meet you. I'm sorry I couldn't be more help.

Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #33 on: 04 August, 2017, 08:47:47 pm »
My seat post snapped at Thirsk on the return.  I had 3 and a  half hours in hand when this happened

It was a carbon post that came with the 2010 model bike.  I had a large (5kg+) saddle bag on a Carradice Sport QR

I couldn't remove the remains of the post with a pair of pliers.  The mechanic was a well meaning stand in guy (sorry I don't remember your name) and didn't have full kit.  It was 11pm so no LBS.  That was the end of LEL for me

At Bikefix in Lamb's Conduit Street they removed the broken bit and put a new post in about 10 minutes.  Thanks to hamm for the pointer to that great bike shop

That Bikefix boss Darth Stuart rode a recumbent on LEL speaks volumes ;)
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #34 on: 04 August, 2017, 08:54:42 pm »
Re: expectations of mechanics at controls, I was surprised to read road.cc's description of LEL as "fully supported".
Started by Bernard Mawson in 1989, the London-Edinburgh-London has grown to be a fully-organised, fully supported event with control points, featuring feed stations, with showers and somewhere for exhausted riders to sleep.
http://road.cc/content/news/227157-london-edinburgh-london-2017-finishes-today
I don't know how widespread that description was before the event or how many people might have interpreted it in how many different ways.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #35 on: 04 August, 2017, 09:56:36 pm »

I might be wrong but I think Alain was keeping a log because of a sale-or-return arrangement with a local bike shop for parts.

Were riders told that there would be a mechanic available at all the controls?  We had the odd one who seemed a bit peeved to be told there wasn't anyone around at that precise moment...

From the lel website.
Controls and Facilities

Along the route there are control points where you’ll get hot food, showers and somewhere to sleep. The food is basic but there will be plenty of it. We provide inflatable beds and blankets in sports halls, and we’ll even give you a wake-up call if you need it. Our bike mechanics will do their best to fix your bike if it’s broken, and we can help if you get sick or can’t finish the ride. All this is included in the price.

hulver

« Reply #36 on: 04 August, 2017, 10:30:37 pm »
I was one of the mechanic team at Pocklington, along with hulver OTP, who I am sure will add the things he fixed whilst I was asleep.

I saw the following (may be added to when I get rid of sleep deprivation!) ;-)

Broken gear cables  (Campag and Shimano - they're both a bit of a b'stard to get out of the lever when they break inside the body!!)
Gear hangers out of alignment.
Chains needing oil times several hundred after the downpours on Tuesday/Wednesday
At least one destroyed rear mech - one of them was SRAM eTap as well! :-O
Dead Di2 front mech
Gear indexing problems
Tyres needing replacement
Sale of inner tubes x lots!
One tubeless tyre which lost a large chunk - the rider had a spare (good!), we used 3 CO2 cartridges, a pressurised sealant bottle and an ordinary bottle of sealant and couldn't get the tyre to seat! (Bad!!)
An old Luxos U light which had snapped above the mounting hole - fixed with leccy tape and cable ties
Light mounts fixed with tape
Slipping tri-bar taken off, bar wrapped with tape, bar replaced, no longer slipping
Broken crank arm which had been fixed further north with cable ties was further wrapped with ties as the originals were starting to stretch
I single-speeded (single-sped?) one machine with a destroyed rear mech

Tl;dr: A shitload!! ;-)

Sent from my Mobile Phone using Tapatalk

I didn't see any broken cables, apart from the bits of them that yorkie had extracted in the previous shift, I think he got all of them.

I did see a lot of worn out tyres, we got through many replacements (I'll post a list of all the parts we got through when I get it out of the car later). Most of the worn out tyres I saw were in the northbound section. One guy bought two tyres and two tubes, as he'd had so many punctures in the previous section. His tyres were very worn.
A couple of the tyres we sold were for people who had just got unlucky, cuts or suchlike, but most were just poor maintenance.
We sold a great many tubes. We'd got 12 from the bike shop, I'd bought all my spares along with me (about 6-7 I think). We got through all those by Monday. One of the volunteers drove to York to get more.
Northbound was mostly indexing gears and fixing punctures / changing tyres. One person I saw had had his bike serviced and his inner chainring replaced before the ride. The inner chainring was making a nice sound as it rattled around on its two remaining (very loose) chainring bolts. As that was on the monday all I could do was fix his indexing so he could get to the outer chainring (as that wasn't working right either) and tell him that all the other bike shops in Thirsk were closed on Mondays as well. I was happy to see him southbound were he said he'd found a place through a friend who fixed it for him.

As to the discussion about electronic or cable shifting? I saw two Di2 shifters with problems, one had been kicked and the other the rider had had an off. Both were easy to adjust and get working again. We saw a broken front mech (cable operated) and a broken front mech (Di2 that yorkie mentioned above). Neither of which we could fix.
I saw several cable operated mechs that needed ideally needed cables and outers replacing. Because of the routing though that wasn't going to happen at the control unless the mech was unusable. Most people would put up with gears that are slightly noisy in some positions as long as they get to the right place. I certainly wasn't going to start stripping lights/garmins/bags/tape etc off somebodies bars to replace cables unless it was the only way to get them going again.

There were a few broken spokes, which we didn't have spares for.

One guy on a fixed got lucky and broke some spokes when we did have spares. A rider had packed (I'm so bad with names, I can't remember his) and as his wife was volunteering at our control he came over and helped out with the mechanic duties. He'd been carrying some spares for his bike and they fit.

Most of the gear problems I saw southbound were due to skog from the previous 900+ km of roads. A good clean, a flush with oil and they were usually ok again, only requiring a little tweak of the adjustment.

I saw a couple of people near the end of our time who wanted me to identify what that clicking noise was. One was worn out bearing on the front hub making it slop about a bit, just a mm or so at the rim, but annoying enough. Press fit bearing so I couldn't even adjust them, they just had to carry on and hope they didn't fail completely.
Another noisy one was the pedal bearings, click click click.
Somebody else had a SON hub with sloppy bearings as well, again not something that we could sort out.

I saw a few dead dynamo front lights, one who had a spare battery light which we cable tied to his bars.

Sorry if this is a bit rambly, I'm still quite tired :-)

« Reply #37 on: 04 August, 2017, 10:52:19 pm »
I had relatively few bike problems at Louth, fewer than I had back in 2013 I reckon, even without accounting for the 50% increase in riders.
Not much really major which required much problem-solving really.

Summery from what I can remember:
Sold loads of inner tubes, possibly 50 or so.
Oiled lots of chains, got through two bottles of chain oil.
Sold 8 replacement tyres, all 700c, ran out of 23mm wide ones and had to send one rider to a local Halfords on Thursday to buy one.
2 gear cables broken inside shifter body, picked out nipple and replaced.
4 broken spokes, two I was able to replace, one wheel had non-standard spokes so he had to buy a new rear wheel, old one was put in bag drop, other wheel had adjacent spoke starting to pull through rim, he had to buy a new rear wheel too, old wheel was toast and was tossed.
1 lady arrived with a broken off derailleur hanger, bike had already been single-speeded at a previous control but the ratio was too low.  I re-arranged the cassette to improve the chainline and allow the rider to use a higher gear.
1 guy with severely bent rear derailleur and hanger, I straightened the hanger best I could, but was weary of snapping it off and replaced the derailleur with a new one.
There were a few other riders with bent hangers, thankfully most had a spare with them so just mounted the spare.
1 guy needed a new chain, as the old one was damaged and about to snap.
1 guy arrived with dead SRAM e-tap rear derailleur, I offered to install a full mechanical rear shift (mechanical derailleur, bar-end shiftier and inner cable/full outer between, rider declined and continued with single-speed.
1 guy arrived with a front tyre which was looked like it was about to go Bang, there were threads showing in places and it was no longer round, bulging in several places.  It was a really weird size (28-451) for which I had no spare and I doubt any bike shop in Lincolnshire had any.  I offered the rider the use of a Fujin which was declined.
Sold 4 replacement rear lights
Replaced 2 seats of worn out LOOK cleats
Replaced 3 seats of worn out brake blocks

hulver

« Reply #38 on: 04 August, 2017, 11:09:05 pm »
I had relatively few bike problems at Louth, fewer than I had back in 2013 I reckon, even without accounting for the 50% increase in riders.
Not much really major which required much problem-solving really.

Summery from what I can remember:
Sold loads of inner tubes, possibly 50 or so.
Oiled lots of chains, got through two bottles of chain oil.
Sold 8 replacement tyres, all 700c, ran out of 23mm wide ones and had to send one rider to a local Halfords on Thursday to buy one.
2 gear cables broken inside shifter body, picked out nipple and replaced.
4 broken spokes, two I was able to replace, one wheel had non-standard spokes so he had to buy a new rear wheel, old one was put in bag drop, other wheel had adjacent spoke starting to pull through rim, he had to buy a new rear wheel too, old wheel was toast and was tossed.
1 lady arrived with a broken off derailleur hanger, bike had already been single-speeded at a previous control but the ratio was too low.  I re-arranged the cassette to improve the chainline and allow the rider to use a higher gear.
1 guy with severely bent rear derailleur and hanger, I straightened the hanger best I could, but was weary of snapping it off and replaced the derailleur with a new one.
There were a few other riders with bent hangers, thankfully most had a spare with them so just mounted the spare.
1 guy needed a new chain, as the old one was damaged and about to snap.
1 guy arrived with dead SRAM e-tap rear derailleur, I offered to install a full mechanical rear shift (mechanical derailleur, bar-end shiftier and inner cable/full outer between, rider declined and continued with single-speed.
1 guy arrived with a front tyre which was looked like it was about to go Bang, there were threads showing in places and it was no longer round, bulging in several places.  It was a really weird size (28-451) for which I had no spare and I doubt any bike shop in Lincolnshire had any.  I offered the rider the use of a Fujin which was declined.
Sold 4 replacement rear lights
Replaced 2 seats of worn out LOOK cleats
Replaced 3 seats of worn out brake blocks

Oh yes, I did one brake block (rider only wanted that side changed for some reason) that was so low he'd actually been carving a channel in his rim with part of the old block.

« Reply #39 on: 05 August, 2017, 12:19:17 am »
I was one of the folk who had to have indexing looked at in Pocklington, not serious but it just wouldn't drop to the outside cog anymore and made the annoying noise. Considering I was a little sleep deprived i figured better to let the Mechanics deal with it then try to do it myself.

I had to apply Lube twice, I switched to Rock N Roll lube a couple of months back so carry some along.

The 650b wheels with 42mm Gravel Kings worked brilliantly. I was running them at 40 PSI and I reckon I can go a fair few lower but need to experiment. I did have 2 punctures, 1 in Crowland on the way north and one on the Humber bridge heading south. It was glass both times.

« Reply #40 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:34:08 am »

The mechanics team (we were 3 at some moments) kept a log of the parts sold, but none of the work load involved. Changing a gear cable can take anything from 5 minutes to over an hour. I'll write more about that when we are back home on monday.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #41 on: 05 August, 2017, 07:48:28 am »
I have scientifically proven (with repeatable experiments) that LEL roads are quite wearing on small-wheeled cycles.

Two LELs on a Moulton TSR30
Two cracked front mudguards - reinforced with a washer/ bolt/ nut at a NB control to make it to the 2017 finish. Drilling out a mudguard rivet is quite difficult without a drill!
Two worn out rear tyres - Admittedly the Conti Grand Prix had done about 1200km on the front before being swapped to the rear but the wear markers looked fine. It was down to canvas by Pocklington SB, where it flatted just as I was about to leave. A new Panaracer spare did the remaining distance. I expect the front tyre (swapped from the rear before LEL) is due for the bin too but that will only be checked after the bike is washed, perhaps next week.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Arellcat

• Velonautte
« Reply #42 on: 05 August, 2017, 08:32:37 am »
I re-arranged the cassette to improve the chainline and allow the rider to use a higher gear.

I saw the result – nice work.  Was it fortunate that the cassette was screwed together, or did you have to drill out rivets?  I don't think I have ever owned a cassette whose sprockets could be swapped (except the top two or three per SLX/XT).

1 guy arrived with a front tyre which was looked like it was about to go Bang, there were threads showing in places and it was no longer round, bulging in several places.  It was a really weird size (28-451) for which I had no spare.

I would've had words with that chap.  ;)  He of all people should know better!
Quote from: Morningsider
I like that you think any of your conveyances might qualify as "a disguise".

« Reply #43 on: 05 August, 2017, 10:00:31 am »
... I was amused at a request to pump someone's tyres up. ...

Even on a FNRttC, when I've pumped up a few tyres, I've been relieved when someone else volunteered to do it (generally this has been other peoples tyres, when I'm TECing).  If pumping up tyres at 3am is no fun, I dread to think what it's like after 1000km, at 3am.  :o ;D

I'm impressed to read all of the outstanding work listed above.  Well done to everyone who spent nights taking wheels on and off bikes, and presumably using industrial quantities of Swarfega to clean themselves up !
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #44 on: 05 August, 2017, 10:13:43 am »
At St Ives (so just 100km in) Garry fixed an iffy STI - turned out there was an old cable-end still in the shifter head!

Yes, it was only after second thoughts and listening a bit more closely to what the rider was saying about the problem that I found that. I had almost written it off. Cable looked and felt fine but shifter completely jammed. I've had a couple of front mechs go like that myself so it wasn't an unreasonable assumption that this was the case - bits break off inside and seize the mechanisim. Big fail. But it was still only an assumption. The rider had said that he'd had a mobile mechanic out on the Sunday to check everything out on the bike, but the STI shifter was still very, very stiff after he'd serviced it. Sometimes less stiff, sometimes really really stiff. So anyway, we took a close look. Getting into those things can be a bit hit or miss depending what type it is, but after a few small screws little bits of plastic housing lying on the table I came across the old cable still in there, obviously jamming up the new one! To be honest, I was more chuffed actually getting the shifter back together again in working order than I was fixing the main problem. And it made me look like I actually knew what I was doing.

I had loads of dropped spokes. Loads of the damn things. I did reflect on spokes quite a bit. More and more riders are riding bikes with nonstandard, faster, racing-type wheels, and again, what to carry and how many? If I did it again, I'd definitely have a few more non-standard spokes with me. They are becoming much more widespread on rides like this. But there again, more to the point, riders could really help themselves by carrying a few too. After all, they weight little, and do much to furthering your chances of getting round.

One Thai chap nearly bought me to my emotional knees on the Sunday. He arrived with a broken bladed spoke in the rear wheel. That left him with 9 left! And although I could have used an ordinary spoke, I just didn't have the size. But he was so, so grateful for me even trying and so grateful for me wasting about an hour of his valuable time! His gratitude so endeared he to him, I so wanted him to get round. Maybe he'd get better luck further up the road. I followed him on the tracker subsequently, and he packed at Brampton by the look of things. Well, I almost blamed myself. Was I responsible? It felt like it. Well bless him, but it would help if he hadn't come all this way riding an event like this with such a crazy rear wheel. :facepalm:

But the best fix was a chaps SPD shoe that had separated, if not disintegrated. He arrived at the control in agony, with the cleat still attached to the pedal and a big hole in the shoe where the cleat should be attached, so every time he put any pressure on the pedal the cleat just pushed up against his foot. Ouch! Not great for 25 miles of riding! So after a quick rummage in the outside bins with the other lads who were on the bike stand, we salvaged 5 big rice pudding lids, [disposed of by big chef man CrazyEnglishTriathlete] and set to work. Always carry an angle grinder and two discs - one cutting and a sanding flap disc. We washed the tin lids, made a temple of the shape of his insole, gaffer- taped them together and put the 5 layered plate inside his shoe underneath his insole. It felt good, and off he went, much happier than when he arrived. Did it hold out, and what happened to him subsequently? I've no idea! Really hope he made it back.

It all came back to me from Barnard Castle last time - namely, how much stuff do you actually stock before the start. It's difficult to get right. Tools is a must but what spares to carry is much more tricky to get right. I suspect had it been completely dry throughout then most of the tubes sold would be surplus to requirements. But if they're bought form somewhere like Halfords then it's easy, returns are possible. I took 40 back yesterday. [We sold about 40 too]. But things like seatposts, pedals, cleats, hubs, wheels - it's very difficult to cater for all needs. One chap arrived with a cracked Dure-Ace rear hub. Real risk to chance it. So I gave him my wheel and collected it from Loughton yesterday. Happy days. Other mishaps don't end so well.

One chap arrived with an titanium Enigma. Nice bike. He was reporting a creaking noise from the bottom bracket. The frame looked ok and there was no discernible movement in the BB but I declined to take the crank set out to have a closer look -just didn't feel comfortable doing it. I said, 'look, this is a decent bike, and I don't want to wreck it'! He was fine with it. Limitations and all that.

We had a team of three at St Ives, myself and local lads Clive and Max [father and son]. Max was on board as part of a Duke of Edinburgh award experience program and although it dragged at times, I think he enjoyed the experience. Both Clive and Max expressed an interest in riding next time. They got an insight :-)
Garry Broad

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #45 on: 05 August, 2017, 10:52:44 am »
It will be instructive to see the logs from the mechanics at the control.

In Barney, two different riders asked me to fit a tube into their tubeless tyres. For both of them, I struggled so much to pull the tyre out of the rim that I can't see how a tired rider can do this on his own by the roadside.

This is why I think it`s best to repair the puncture with worms and superglue, top up with sealant and air if necessary, get to a control and if it`s still leaking patch it there.

Carlosfandango

• Yours fragrantly.
« Reply #46 on: 05 August, 2017, 11:01:27 am »
What didn't work for you?

The tyre still had plenty of meat on it, but the inside was like cottage cheese despite being topped up - it was like the tyre had gone porous and was absorbing all the sealant liquid and making it all go solid. FWIW I was using Orange seal endurance and topped up with Bontrager. I can only wonder if they didn't play nice.

As I understand it there are several sorts of sealant and they are not compatible.  That is one of the reasons I did not take any to Spalding.  The riders had to supply their own.

Sorry to hear of your woes Dr Mekon. If your sealant has gone cheesey it`s not gonna seal a puncture, there`s better ones about now which stay liquid and don`t prevent you patching if you need too, so no need to give up on the tubeless.

Gattopardo

• Lord of the sith
  • Overseaing the building of the death star
« Reply #47 on: 05 August, 2017, 11:13:08 am »
I have scientifically proven (with repeatable experiments) that LEL roads are quite wearing on small-wheeled cycles.

Two LELs on a Moulton TSR30
Two cracked front mudguards - reinforced with a washer/ bolt/ nut at a NB control to make it to the finish. Drilling out a mudguard rivet is quite difficult without a drill!
Two worn out rear tyres - Admittedly the Conti Grand Prix had done about 1200km on the front before being swapped to the rear but the wear markers looked fine. It was down to canvas by Pocklington SB, where it flatted just as I was about to leave. A new Panaracer spare did the remaining distance. I expect the front tyre (swapped from the rear before LEL) is due for the bin too but that will only be checked after the bike is washed, perhaps next week.

I missed a moulton :(

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #48 on: 05 August, 2017, 11:20:03 am »
There were at least two other Moultons at LEL; both Thai blokes who fitted much shorter stems than I did. I met a few international LELers who had Moultons at home. Several wished they'd used them instead of big wheels, after riding some of the route.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #49 on: 05 August, 2017, 11:24:51 am »
My Log from Spalding;

Mechanics log to Thursday Mid day.

3 wheels trued
 3 Broken spokes wheels adjusted.
 2 loose Seat posts.
 2 punctures repaired. tube changed.
 Chain wheel bolts loose
 Broken cleat bolt
 2 Loose Bottom Brackets
 Rear Deraileur Alignment
 2 Loose Headsets.
 Bent Gear hanger
 Bar Bag dropped and was knocking front light.
 Broken 11sp chain
 Broken Di2 Rear Deraileur
 Front Deraileur Adjustment
 Front STI no braking after crash
 Shorting front light.

When I left the replacement mechanic was very busy with another waiting.

In addition one of the volunteers lent his bike to a rider who could not lift his head enough to see the road.
Only those that dare to go too far, know how far they can go.   T S Elliot