Author Topic: Any advice on Kilimanjaro?  (Read 3235 times)

Any advice on Kilimanjaro?
« on: 14 August, 2017, 11:25:19 pm »
One of my old charges is doing an expedition to Kilimanjaro next week. She seems somewhat underprepared, certainly from a kit point of view - I took some things to lend her but the kit list is a bit vague and she doesn't seem to have much idea what to expect. Is there anything she will definitely need and does anyone have any advice for her? I'm not worried about her fitness, more what conditions will be like.

Thank you!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Re: Any advice on Kilimanjaro?
« Reply #1 on: 14 August, 2017, 11:42:29 pm »
One of my old charges is doing an expedition to Kilimanjaro next week. She seems somewhat underprepared, certainly from a kit point of view - I took some things to lend her but the kit list is a bit vague and she doesn't seem to have much idea what to expect. Is there anything she will definitely need and does anyone have any advice for her? I'm not worried about her fitness, more what conditions will be like.

Thank you!
Don't underestimate how cold it can be on the summit day.,  which commences at midnight to summit at dawn. Take plenty of layers, full windproofs, balaclava, mountain mitts.  A heavyweight duvet is useful.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rr

« Reply #2 on: 15 August, 2017, 11:59:48 am »
+1 for a cold start for summit day, I think it is the only time I have climbed in both my buffalo layers, I'd add to that that later the same day it will get really hot as you desend so you need a day sack big enough to put it all in as you take it off.
Two walking poles
Good strong boots
Waterproofs

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: 15 August, 2017, 01:07:20 pm »
I read this on Alpkit the other day and it made me want to book a trip:

https://www.alpkit.com/support/stickies/kilimanjaro-kit-list-what-to-pack
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

« Reply #4 on: 15 August, 2017, 01:24:50 pm »
Another thing not on that list is mozzie repellent - not so much an issue at altitude but plenty of the little buggers in the foothills.
Sadly they've changed the sign since you were there, rilem...

« Reply #5 on: 16 August, 2017, 07:21:11 am »
It's huge.  Our guide stopped by the road and pointed to it, way in the distance.  We couldn't see it.. 

Then suddenly we realised it was the white line above the clouds :o That's as near as we got.
Move Faster and Bake Things

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #6 on: 16 August, 2017, 12:11:19 pm »
For Butterfly rather than her former charge: Kilimanjaro cake.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #7 on: 17 August, 2017, 09:58:19 am »
Brilliant, I've shown her the thread. Thank you everyone.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #8 on: 17 August, 2017, 11:27:42 am »
Has she considered altitude sickness?  My dad's did Kilimanjaro and also several ascents of Mount Kenya when he lived out there, and said that a lot of people had to turn back because they'd flown out to do it and didn't spend enough time acclimatising.  Lots of people do make it up of course, but if she hasn't already then your friend might be wise to go see her doctor before she leaves and ask for a Diamox prescription.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #9 on: 01 June, 2023, 03:59:40 pm »
Anyone here done this climb in recent years and can recommend a good company with which to travel (i.e. one that doesn't rip off locals, is environmentally responsible and doesn't 'rush' people up the mountain too quickly for acclimatisation)? 
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

« Reply #10 on: 02 June, 2023, 08:03:26 am »
Kilimanjaro has a reputation for the incidence of mountain sickness. Make sure that time is given for acclimatisation. At one time diamox was recommended
for mountain sickness and some people suffer more others irrespective of fitness. There are other medical aspects to consider. Is malaria an issue? Be up to date with vaccines, not just covid but all the usual ones. Tetanus and hepatitis might be useful. When I went to Venezuela I was recommended to have the rabies vaccine. BCG for TB might also be recommended. I don't think that the mountain is technically difficult but it is long and tiring.

« Reply #11 on: 02 June, 2023, 03:41:44 pm »
Kilimanjaro has a reputation for the incidence of mountain sickness. Make sure that time is given for acclimatisation. At one time diamox was recommended
for mountain sickness and some people suffer more others irrespective of fitness. There are other medical aspects to consider. Is malaria an issue? Be up to date with vaccines, not just covid but all the usual ones. Tetanus and hepatitis might be useful. When I went to Venezuela I was recommended to have the rabies vaccine. BCG for TB might also be recommended. I don't think that the mountain is technically difficult but it is long and tiring.

It’s nearly 30 years since I was in Arusha but I suspect this all remains good advice. I had and would repeat the rabies vaccination - low probability but very high consequence. Rabies vaccination should only be seen as buying you time to get the treatment, i.e. going straight to a suitable treatment centre is less likely to take too long if you’ve had the vaccine.

« Reply #12 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:05:40 pm »
Yellow card was compulsory in my day, not sure about nowadays. I would say Hep, Rabies and Yellow Fever are a must.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

ian

« Reply #13 on: 06 June, 2023, 09:34:12 pm »
All the heps for anywhere these days, yellow fever (though I think it's valid for life, no longer 15 years, and in all my travels no one has ever asked to see my little vaccination certificate). Typhoid, cholera, and diphtheria for anywhere in Africa.

Rabies is only really necessary if you're likely to be exposed to wildlife (rabies vaccine and immunoglobin can be administered if you do get bitten, it'll be available in any tourist centre like Kilimanjaro). Malaria is not a big deal, since the mosquitoes don't like mountaineering, though if you're going to spend time at lower levels it's worth it (I've always used Malarone and haven't got malaria yet despite possessing an irresistible allure for hungry mosquitoes).

It is basically a long hike rather than a climb but as said, don't underestimate the altitude (about 6km above sea level). It how I discovered that as someone bought up in a place where the only hills were courtesy the local collieries that I was never going to become a mountain climber. I don't get on with Diamox either. I'm also banned from Tanzania, for that matter (actually probably not, since I'm on a new passport now).

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #14 on: 08 June, 2023, 12:25:55 pm »
Thanks for all the advice. I've signed up for a trip with Exodus - I've travelled with them before and always been happy and they are listed by the porters' union as paying and treating their staff well.

I've opted for the longest route available - 8 days up and 2 down, which should give me the best chance of avoiding any altitude sickness. I'm feeling reasonably confident, having cycled at over 4,000m without feeling any ill-effects - but I'm also prepared to call a halt if I have to.

Now, having let myself go a bit once I realised PBP was out of the question for this year, I just have to get myself back to my usual fitness level. The hills are calling!
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?

Salvatore

• Джон Спунър
    • Pics
« Reply #15 on: 08 June, 2023, 02:53:22 pm »
I went with Exodus, but that was in the last millennium.

Our trip was very gradual, with the first week on Mount Kenya, with most days finishing early afternoon with an optional walk to a higher altitude and back down to camp. No one had any altitude problems the following week on Kili. Our route was via the Shira plateau, and I don't think we saw any other groups until the summit day.

Make sure to have plenty of sun protection. There's a lot less atmosphere to stop the damaging rays, and it doesn't feel hot. Some people who had broad-brimmed hats, long-sleeved shirts and long trousers ended up with badly burned hands after one day (especially those with trekking poles).

I also paid for an optional extra 2 day safari before I came home.

et avec John, excellent lecteur de road-book, on s'en est sortis sans erreur

« Reply #16 on: 09 June, 2023, 09:52:45 pm »
Try to be up to date on your sleep beforehand.
Once you get to altitude, you don't sleep well to start with - you relax as you nod off, start breathing shallowly, then wake yourself up taking deep breaths to recharge the oxygen levels (based on Tibet).