Author Topic: Padded cycling trousers that are semi respectable  (Read 4654 times)

Padded cycling trousers that are semi respectable
« on: 15 September, 2017, 09:10:15 am »
At some point I hope to start cycling to work. This would probably be directly from the school run so don't really want to be in my lycra. I have shorts I can wear over proper shorts but as we enter the cooler months want trousers rather then shorts. I can see trousers which go over the top but want a set that do it all in one with the pad. Any suggestions?

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Padded cycling trousers that are semi respectable
« Reply #1 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:38:42 am »
I had thought that Endura did something like that but it seems their various trousers are all unpadded, though some of them feature a double seat. https://www.endurasport.com/products/browse/?SetFilter=1&FilterStr=|DEMOGRAPHIC_3|ENDUSE_18|
How far is it? Try riding in something relatively seamless?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:39:32 am »
When I used to cycle commute everyday I found that the best option was to wear padded undershorts underneath unpadded shorts or trousers. This meant that the undershorts could be changed everyday, and the outer shorts/trousers washed on a weekly basis. if you went with that option, you'd have more choice on the trouser front.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #3 on: 15 September, 2017, 09:51:52 am »
Comfy saddle and ordinary trousers?

I was surprised to find that my commute (min 3.5 miles, but often 10 miles or more) is easily done without padding. In the winter I usually wear unpadded tights with underpants. I don't ride hard on the way to work, to avoid getting too warm, but will put more effort/ride further on the way home. I use a Brooks saddle. The lack of padding isn't a problem and, in fact (for the commute) I think I prefer to go without.

Just another perspective.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2017, 10:12:24 am »
Comfy saddle and ordinary trousers?

I was surprised to find that my commute (min 3.5 miles, but often 10 miles or more) is easily done without padding. In the winter I usually wear unpadded tights with underpants. I don't ride hard on the way to work, to avoid getting too warm, but will put more effort/ride further on the way home. I use a Brooks saddle. The lack of padding isn't a problem and, in fact (for the commute) I think I prefer to go without.

Just another perspective.

I agree with this.  In all my years of commuting I never wore padded shorts.  In fact, I rarely wore them for anything under 20 miles.
Another Brooks bum on a Brooks saddle.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:13:07 pm »
Worn-out cycling shorts that have gone a bit too transparent but are otherwise perfectly functional, under something respectable looking.  Either looseish civvy trousers (though I find saddles destroy trousers suboptimally quickly) or unpadded legging type things (Bikesters, Altura Cruisers, that sort of thing), which are quicker drying and a bit more durable, but don't really scream 'lycra lout'.

« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2017, 01:36:46 pm »
At some point I hope to start cycling to work. This would probably be directly from the school run so don't really want to be in my lycra. I have shorts I can wear over proper shorts but as we enter the cooler months want trousers rather then shorts. I can see trousers which go over the top but want a set that do it all in one with the pad. Any suggestions?

Agree with Kim - it’s much better to separate out the padding and the trousering. Unless you are going to invest in multiple pairs of padded trousers, or wash and dry them every day, they are just not as practical.

« Reply #7 on: 15 September, 2017, 02:14:51 pm »
I use MTB-style shorts in the summer for decency in the school playground.  Just switching to winter, which for me is padded shorts underneath bikester type cycling leggings.  Both black, normally with a jacket over the top anyway.  So quite close fitting which keeps it comfy for a decent length commute.  But the combination of black, padding and jacket over the top keeps things unoffensive.

And like Kim, I try to use the worn-out cycling shorts for this.

I sometimes use cycling shorts under normal trousers for other semi-casual rides too.  Comfort + Normal looking + pockets.

Don't need the pad for commuting, but the other characteristics of cycling shorts make them the best choice for me anyway.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 15 September, 2017, 02:18:11 pm »
It's not so much the padding, as avoiding the seams and edges of civvy underwear.  YMMV.

« Reply #9 on: 15 September, 2017, 02:23:32 pm »
I'm fine with that for a commute, and it keeps the shorts less minging to do so.  But obviously its a very personal choice.  Unfortunately it leads to me setting out on longer rides with civvies underneath out of habit, and then realising I need to find a discreet spot to correct my clothing after an hour or so...

« Reply #10 on: 15 September, 2017, 02:48:29 pm »
On an upright-ish bike I'm fine for up to 20 miles or so with merino underwear (with seams suited to cycling) and civvy trousers on top - for cold-weather use I find corduroy trousers are good, as long as it's not chucking it down.

« Reply #11 on: 15 September, 2017, 03:15:37 pm »
M and S used to do a cycling chino not sure if still available.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #12 on: 22 September, 2017, 03:44:42 pm »
My first century ride was done wearing jeans.  There were few people wearing cycling gear as back then, well you didn't unless you were some kind of er.. cyclist.  People did century rides almost like it was some kind of mistake and they'd never meant to do it at all. 
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #13 on: 23 September, 2017, 08:51:48 am »
My first century ride was done wearing jeans.  There were few people wearing cycling gear as back then, well you didn't unless you were some kind of er.. cyclist.  People did century rides almost like it was some kind of mistake and they'd never meant to do it at all.
Well yes.
When I first started cycling with my local CTC section (The North Metropolitan) in the early 70s I would wear my school trousers in the winter, and a pair of ordinary shorts in the height of summer. Cycling clothes were (almost) unheard of - and generally limited to a Greenspot jacket (if you could afford one - I couldn't) and a cape (used in extremis only).
I'm vaguely fascinated as to when special clothes became de-rigeur for such a straightforward activity as riding your bike. Equally, I accept that lack of flappiness and decent temperature/moisture control are very welcome developments.
And yes, if I could find an affordable pair of trousers with a 'cycling crotch' that didn't scream "cyclist" then I'd buy them.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

« Reply #14 on: 23 September, 2017, 11:36:06 am »
I use hiking trousers (Berghaus Ortler II from GO)
Plain black apart from the odd logo so smart enough for the office, tough enough to cope with saddle wear, and with elastic drawcords at the ankle to keep the ends clear of bike bits or allow ventilated shins.

I'm another Brooks bum on a Berthoud saddle - no padding required out to 100 miles (at least). In fact, I reckon that the padding in most shorts is too soft to do much good, and just squashes down to nothing.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #15 on: 23 September, 2017, 12:30:50 pm »
I'm vaguely fascinated as to when special clothes became de-rigeur for such a straightforward activity as riding your bike.

"Fascinated"?? There have been "walking trousers" on sale for many decades. Walking is an even more straightforward activity.

See also:
Running shoes/shorts
Swimming trunks
Driving Gloves
etc ... !

p.s. About half the cyclists I saw this morning were managing without "special" clothes. That's despite riding to meet some that were in lycra, and not riding through any large towns.
pp.s don't forget Smoking Jackets!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #16 on: 23 September, 2017, 01:11:09 pm »
Blazing saddles, smoking jackets...... it's all a far cry from cycling with warm nurses and beer on the village green.

« Reply #17 on: 23 September, 2017, 04:02:40 pm »
I'm vaguely fascinated as to when special clothes became de-rigeur for such a straightforward activity as riding your bike.

"Fascinated"?? There have been "walking trousers" on sale for many decades. Walking is an even more straightforward activity.

See also:
Running shoes/shorts
Swimming trunks
Driving Gloves
etc ... !

p.s. About half the cyclists I saw this morning were managing without "special" clothes. That's despite riding to meet some that were in lycra, and not riding through any large towns.
pp.s don't forget Smoking Jackets!
I bought 2 pairs of Keela Roadrunner trews a couple of years ago and they've been fantastic. Stretchy but smart and fine with padded undershorts. The lack of visible wear around the crotch is remarkable.

http://www.keela.co.uk/roadrunner-trousers.html

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #18 on: 23 September, 2017, 05:02:51 pm »
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #19 on: 23 September, 2017, 10:31:54 pm »
cycling with warm nurses
??

:o

Last time I tried that I married herwent out with her for eight years and bought a house together.

Only then did it go wrong ...

« Reply #20 on: 24 September, 2017, 02:19:13 am »
matt, it's an oblique and often bowdlerized reference to to John Major's idealisation of Britain.

Peter

« Reply #21 on: 24 September, 2017, 11:42:30 am »

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #22 on: 24 September, 2017, 11:58:50 am »
Well yes.
When I first started cycling with my local CTC section (The North Metropolitan) in the early 70s I would wear my school trousers in the winter, and a pair of ordinary shorts in the height of summer. Cycling clothes were (almost) unheard of - and generally limited to a Greenspot jacket (if you could afford one - I couldn't) and a cape (used in extremis only).
I'm vaguely fascinated as to when special clothes became de-rigeur for such a straightforward activity as riding your bike. Equally, I accept that lack of flappiness and decent temperature/moisture control are very welcome developments.
And yes, if I could find an affordable pair of trousers with a 'cycling crotch' that didn't scream "cyclist" then I'd buy them.

Tapatalk puts this signature here, not me!
I remember reading in the CTC magazine in 1985, which I think was at that time called Cycle Touring & Campaigning, something about "DA jerseys starting to outnumber checked shirts".
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Afasoas

« Reply #23 on: 01 November, 2023, 08:53:49 am »
Worn-out cycling shorts that have gone a bit too transparent but are otherwise perfectly functional, under something respectable looking.  Either looseish civvy trousers (though I find saddles destroy trousers suboptimally quickly) or unpadded legging type things (Bikesters, Altura Cruisers, that sort of thing), which are quicker drying and a bit more durable, but don't really scream 'lycra lout'.

I've worn through the jeans I'd sacrificed to the occasions when I needed to turn up at the destination without upsetting those who might be offended with all too revealing Lycra.
Ronhill Bikesters used to be my go to for this but mine have long since bitten the dust. And if I'm honest, I found they weren't really warm enough given that most these occasions also require not turning up a sweaty mess.

Are there any current recommendations before I sacrifice another pair of jeans?

« Reply #24 on: 01 November, 2023, 09:26:49 am »
Like many on here I just wear civvies unless the weather is rank. And then I change at my destination. Padding rarely features on my commute. It might be the upright position- I can't do without padding even for 20 minutes on the bike that sits on the turbo.