Author Topic: AUK Trophies was: 2017 AUK Reunion  (Read 9410 times)

Re: AUK Trophies was: 2017 AUK Reunion
« Reply #25 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:28:48 am »
What happens with the mementoes and awards for members who don't or can't attend the Reunion? Are they posted, or forfeited?
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #26 on: 05 October, 2017, 06:47:31 am »
Posted
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #27 on: 05 October, 2017, 07:26:39 am »
Thx LWaB. In which case, does someone email people who have earned mementoes or awards to see if they're attending - would save the org(s) having to unpack, layout and then re-pack what I assume is a goodly portion of the awards for the likes of R10000 (37 recipients this year last time I looked).
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #28 on: 05 October, 2017, 07:41:51 am »
I believe the appropriate people are emailed regarding the Reunion but some folk don't reply (e.g. some email addresses are out of date) and I am uncertain whether all the negative or non-replies get back to bikey-mikey. Folk can always change their minds, of course.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #29 on: 05 October, 2017, 08:01:01 am »

My name's Martin Malins by the way, what's yours?

Mind, you might get some unsolicited literature in the post.

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #30 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:13:19 am »
Especially since recipients are invited to the reunion at AUK's expense
Really?  That's news to us, we have always paid when attending the reunion (as we would expect).

I've received a denial of this as current practise from AUK's Chair, in which case I'm very happy to retract and my work here is done.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

Pete Mas

• Don't Worry 'bout a thing...
« Reply #31 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:14:08 am »
I believe the appropriate people are emailed regarding the Reunion but some folk don't reply (e.g. some email addresses are out of date) and I am uncertain whether all the negative or non-replies get back to bikey-mikey. Folk can always change their minds, of course.

That's probably true, but last year I wasn't aware I had got an award until it arrived in the post as a very nice surprise indeed. I've never got round to attending a reunion, or even think about attending one. Just thought I'd add a personal experience.
''It is better to travel hopefully than to arrive."

R.L.Stevenson

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #32 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:28:16 am »
Thanks for that Pete.

Martin

« Reply #33 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:36:07 am »

My name's Martin Malins by the way, what's yours?

Mind, you might get some unsolicited literature in the post.

I have had, from someone OTP (Arry-R) as it happens. It's why I've changed my AUK postal address.

« Reply #34 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:10:10 am »

It’s scary because so many people are coming up to get something they may have ridden all year for, and it would be horrible if I’d spelt their name wrong- my ongoing nightmare....

My OLIVA Iles trophy has pride of place on my shelf  :)  :)

You doing great job Mike, thanks for all you hard work + Lin of course   :)
Season 1 - 211 AAA Points, 120 Club points,  PBP 72h, ISR, Welsh SR, Easter Arrow, Hyper Rand, AAA Champion, ACB Team and CTC champions

Martin

« Reply #35 on: 05 October, 2017, 11:34:58 am »
Bit of a long shot but if anyone visits the bike museum at the Reunion could they see if there is a Michelin Man trophy on display? It was the old AAA opposite sex trophy awarded to various people I know well including self and I'd love to make a cast of it for a replica(s) my understanding is that all the old trophies went there :thumbsup:

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #36 on: 05 October, 2017, 02:30:16 pm »
I think someone Facebooked a picture of it but I could be wrong...

ETA wrong trophy!

We'll almost definitely pay a visit and let you know.

Martin

« Reply #37 on: 05 October, 2017, 03:40:16 pm »
it looks like this but has a bigger plinth; I'd buy this one if I had $Au 322 and a time machine

« Reply #38 on: 05 October, 2017, 04:47:05 pm »
Mr Bibendum is running. Should be renamed the Chris Froome Trophy!

rob

« Reply #39 on: 05 October, 2017, 09:06:22 pm »
I did get an e-mail to say I had a trophy for my Brevet 25000 a couple of years back.   I couldn't make it and don't really attend these days as a rule.

It was a really nice surprise when the quite sizeable trophy arrived a couple of weeks later.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #40 on: 06 October, 2017, 12:06:23 pm »
Last year the invoice for the actual trophies was £1,581-34

There were 82 separate 'trophies'

5 large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for MERIT, awarded by the Board

3 large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for club organisers, (most entries) CTC organisers (most entries) and mileater (most distance)

4 medium Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for individual events, Easter Arrow, Summer Arrow, York Dart, Easter Trace

7 medium Glass Awards, with glass engraving, for the various team members in the Arrows and Trace

17 iPhone size self standing Crystal upright Awards, with round metal AUK centre disc / metal plate engraving, for Randonneur 10,000

3   iPhone size self standing Crystal upright Awards, with round metal AUK centre disc / metal plate engraving, for 100,000 kms (catch up)

5   iPhone size self standing Crystal upright Awards, with round metal AUK centre disc / metal plate engraving, for Brevet 25,000

10 iPhone size self standing Crystal upright Awards, with round metal AUK centre disc / metal plate engraving, for Ultra Randonneurs

4  large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for fixed wheel winner and opposite sex, Tricycle, and Tandem

3  large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for juniors points (under 18), (2 winners and 1 opposite sex)

1  medium Crystal Award, with glass engraving, for youngest solo 200 km  (age 12 !!)

2  large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for Veteran and opposite sex points

2  large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for Club Championship and CTC Champoionship

12 medium Glass Awards, with glass engraving, for the 6 team members in each of the Club and CTC Championships

2  large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for AAA and opposite sex AAA

2  large Crystal Awards, with glass engraving, for overall points and opposite sex overall

More than half go to awards that are available to anyone who satisfies the criteria, or ones appointed by the board, or to organisers not riders.

The trend is always in that direction as more folks go for R10,000 etc

Hope that helps

Mikey
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #41 on: 06 October, 2017, 02:35:19 pm »
Trophies not collected last year were dealt with in several ways..

Some were taken by friends who lived near the recipient, and who could pass them on. (Thanks for helping, folks)

Some were taken by team captains to pass on to absent team members.

The rest went home with me. Not having access to AUK database, I requested the recipients specific addresses, and then posted them out.

It would be great if people who have won awards could email me or message on here, to confirm attendance or otherwise - on the night we tend to have a fair number of hopeful calls for people, followed by an expectant wait, followed by , err... nothing, then the next one is called ....

As an alternative, if you are not coming, might it be possible to arrange a friend to collect and then take delivery when you both do the same calendar event ??

Often the postage cost is a significant percentage of the cost of the trophy.......  e.g. £6 to post a £12 trophy....

Hope that's more insight....

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #42 on: 06 October, 2017, 04:23:32 pm »

... large Crystal Awards, etc.

What happened to the Recumbent Cup? Last time I saw it, it was a (very cheap) china cup glued to a saucer.

Edited to add: at a recumbent angle, naturally :)
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
« Reply #43 on: 06 October, 2017, 07:05:35 pm »

What happened to the Recumbent Cup? Last time I saw it, it was a (very cheap) china cup glued to a saucer.

Hi Rob

In the old days you got a nice cup/shield/trophy for an hour or two, which was then collected back from you, and put back into storage for the rest of the year, PLUS a cheapish memento to take home and keep..

Recently the old trophies were ‘museumed’ in favour of ‘take home and keep’ memento trophies..

Using savings from the annual cost of insurance, and the annual storage charges, plus what was spent on the old mementos, we have been able to improve the quality, look and feel of the new mementos compared to the old days.

I think that’s a good thing, because you keep the memento forever.......

Recipient feedback has been 100% positive, but I’m still trying to improve 🏆🥇🥈🥉

Cycling heatmap

« Reply #44 on: 06 October, 2017, 07:13:08 pm »
It would be great if people who have won awards could email me or message on here

Does everyone who's won an award (a) know they've won an award (b) know there's a physical trophy and (c) know it's given out at the reunion? I guess the number who don't know (a) is very small, but on the website at least there's nothing on the relevant award pages mentioning (b) or (c). Are they contacted proactively?

« Reply #45 on: 07 October, 2017, 09:37:53 am »
Easter Arrow?

« Reply #46 on: 07 October, 2017, 10:17:19 am »
Easter Arrow?

Did you the post by Mike that clearly mentioned  Easter Arrow?

« Reply #47 on: 07 October, 2017, 12:06:49 pm »
Easter Arrow?

There's an award for greatest distance, and mementoes for all team members.

« Reply #48 on: 07 October, 2017, 01:01:23 pm »
Easter Arrow?

Yep. Was wondering if the Bristol team prevailed.

JonB

• Granny Ring ... Yes Please!
« Reply #49 on: 07 October, 2017, 02:35:11 pm »
Easter Arrow?

Yep. Was wondering if the Bristol team prevailed.

No, we clocked up around 420km, I'm sure there were far more impressive distances recorded (if there was an award for number of broken spokes on an Arrow then we may be in with a shout)